Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowheads Ebay Protocol?

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen a couple of posts over the last few weeks where people have drawn attention to interesting auctions on ebay. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit unhelpful? If I was bidding (as I almost did) on those Atomic skis which Parlor (not a dig at you Parlor - just giving a recent example) posted the link for, I would have been really annoyed if the price has suddenly been bumped up with lots of late bidding as a result.

Is it safe to assume that SHs are sufficiently computer literate that if they were looking to buy skis on ebay, they can do so without assistance from people on this board?

Of course none of this applies to people linking to their own auctions, or to funny auctions.

Any views?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I understand what you're saying, but I successfully bid for a pair of skis a few weeks ago that I wouldn't have spotted if it hadn't been pointed out to me by another snowHead. I can't remember who it was, but I'm very grateful as I got a decent pair of skis for a very good price.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both views are, IMVHO, valid. I have just bid for and won a pair of skis on ebay. No one else bid for them so I got them for the sellers minimum asking price. If I had posted details then I would have been encouraging bids against myself and that does not appeal. On the other hand, if I saw a Snowhead asking for equipment and I knew of something on ebay that might meet their needs then I believe it would be sensible to post a link.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Adrian, for the sake of debate, do you think it would be an even better service to that SH to PM him or her the the link rather than post it?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I see your point, you want to spend less money.

Theres more to worry about on ebay than the links being placed on a few boards to generate interest.

Why shouldnt we all do the favour to the seller by getting as much interest as possible. At the end of the day you still have your maximum bid that you would place. Bids could come from anywhere
The only difference being is that you have a captive audience to have a go at for paying an extra tenner for some skis that you probably dont really need.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kruked, I am not really sure what your point is but my feeling is that Snowheads is a community and most people on here want to help eachother out. Posting non-Snowheads' auctions certainly helps the non-Snowhead but the benefit for Snowheads is less clear, I would say. When I'm buying on ebay I want to get the item for the lowest price possible. Don't think there is anything wrong with that.

It's perfectly open to people to post their own auctions on this site. I'd say that this is acceptable so long as people don't JUST post their ebay auctions
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno wrote:
the benefit for Snowheads is less clear, I would say.

The benefit seems perfectly clear to me: you get alerted to a specific auction (or more generally, an particular eBay retailer) that you might not otherwise be aware of. In the case of the skis I bought earlier this year, I wouldn't have found them because they were from a retailer in Germany and I normally look only at the UK eBay site. I know that there are two or three other snowHeads who have bought from the same retailer, so I'm not the only one who benefited from that initial 'heads-up'.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno wrote:
Adrian, for the sake of debate, do you think it would be an even better service to that SH to PM him or her the the link rather than post it?
Excellent idea, Arno.

kruked wrote:
Why shouldnt we all do the favour to the seller by getting as much interest as possible. At the end of the day you still have your maximum bid that you would place.
I have no problem with people posting links to ebay auctions, but if I plan to bid on an item then it is against my interest to tell anyone else who might bid against me. My maximum bid is just that, it does not mean that I want to pay that much. I prefer to pay as little as possible.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
e-bay is an open market, so what if the auction you are bidding on gets displayed here and you then subsquently can't afford it...............that's life.............yes we all want to pay as little as possible, and that's why i never bid till the last 30 seconds of the auction. I really can't understand your point Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, sounds like people don't share my views on this! Actually, it isn't that big an issue on here because a lot of the things which get mentioned aren't the sorts of things I would be looking at on ebay anyway.

Dan, my point is - say you'd spotted a great deal on ebay. Maybe it's been badly advertised by the seller so it's not getting bids. You're planning to make your offer 30secs before the end of the auction. Then, someone, for no particular reason, posts the link and the item suddenly starts getting bids and your bargain's gone. Yes, that's the way it goes but it is a bit frustrating to lose out in this way, and the person who posts the auction thinks (s)he is helpful, but they're actually not being helpful at all to you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, the strange thing is I agree with the idea of what you're saying. I thought the leather boots & ski set was too good to miss, I was having a laugh because of some of the more conservative snowHead may appreciate being tipped off to good deals! Wink Then I couldn't believe it when I saw the beta rides at that price they sold at £22 - I'm still feeling sick for not buying them, I just ended up contrasting the first post (old school tip) with beta rides (new school tip). I love the argument fat vs skinny. I love long skinny skis, anything over 210cm mmmMMmmm but long fat skis ROCK. They change the shape of the mountain...

If you had been bidding on the skis I would have been upset to see that I had cost you more, I know if it was me on the bidding end I would have been most annoyed to have my bid over inflated. OTOH I agree with the other posts ^. Those skis needed to go to a good home, one I couldn't quite justify (in hind sight I'm still upset, did I say that already?). I like the idea of getting my cyber friends a great deal on a ski they might not have spotted or understood.

I use the same sign in on e-bay as I do here... perhaps just more caution is needed!

Later this week I plan to post a few things on e-bay, clearling out some rubbish before I go home for the winter. Is it considered OK for me to post the links (in sell, exchange etc) to the good bits? Might anyway Wink Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor, don't post the links as someone here may be looking already, wouldn't want you to get a better price Wink Razz Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dan, oh. good point. thanks. Shocked Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, Dan, well, according to my first post (which noone is going to act on anyway), plugging your own auctions and comedy auctions are OK Razz

you're not thinking of flogging those wizard explosivs of yours are you... please??? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I just can't believe there was no reserve on the Atomics. Like many, I suspect, I keep a casual eye on e-bay but don't necessarily check every week so miss bargains. Largely its the hassle of trawling through 7 or 8 pages of jokers selling their 210 cm racing skis at £50 or more : "haven't been used in a few years but top of the range kit" so posts highlighting the odd deal are helpful.
snow conditions
Arno, sniping carries it's own risks, and that is one of them. Until evident, the bid doesn't exist, and I'm certainly not going to go about protecting phantasms.

If anything a snowHead sniper has forewarning of higher prices over a non-snowHead one, with time to amend their bid.

Further, some items are not fully described, not properly advertised, or even mis-represented by sellers, as fatbob points out. snowHead and the contributions of more knowledgeable members are an extremely powerful tool to ensure that it is, in fact, snowHead members who get the best deals overall.

That said, I keep track of handles and respect the bids of posters I recognize, both from here and other forums. I do not bid above them; your preferences may vary.
snow report
As I have said before, if people wish to promote their own, or others, auctions then that is fine by me. If parlor wants to publish detail of his then that is just good marketing, so go ahead and publish. My point was that if I find an auction item that I want then I am not going to make a post that would say the equivalent of
I have found this wonderful {thing} on ebay and I am going to bid on it. Would anyone else like to bid against me to give the seller more money?
snow report
I saw one post which said something like, "this has got too expensive for me but other Snowheads might be interested." Couldn't help but feel that what he was really saying was "some bu99er's outbid me on this so please, everyone, push the price up further". maybe i'm just a cynic Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy