Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st time snowboarder in Zillertal - lifts/mountains/apres

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to the Zillertal this WE with a group of friends, and one of them has very limited snowboarding experience (essentially beginner), and I have the responsibility to teach her the basics! As I remember all the steps we've been through at the snowboard school, I'll sacrifice myself this weekend and give it a go in teaching. If she doesn't get it, we'll try with the school.

Questions:
- lift pass: given that we'll be spending at least the whole day on ONE slope, is there something like a "1st timer" lift pass in one of the zillertal ski areas or, even better, a free tow/carpet lift ? Paying for hundreds of km of slopes is clearly useless and a rip-off in this case!

- best mountains: if we have no choice and end up paying for a normal fare, is there some areas that are cheaper? better adapted to beginners? we'll be based in Zell am Ziller, and we have a car, so don't mind driving 20-30mn...

- apres: we'll be a group and few beers will definitely be needed to share the stories of the day! what's the best and most typical apres ski bar in the area? anything like a Mooserwirth around there?

Thanks in advance for your help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zell may in fact be your best bet, or Kaltenbach.

If you are not happy on reds, mayrhofen sucks for snowboarders!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
board school from day would be my suggestion
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cedrick, I don't think that there is any "1st timer " liftpass or points type liftpass available - certainly it's not shown on the piste map leaflets I have which show the ticket options. For latest prices go to this site

best mountains: Well I know that at Zell am Ziller if you take the Rosenalmbahn gondola to the top then go to the left there is a blue piste served by two drag lifts. I know also that at Kaltenbach when you get off at the top of the gondola and go left there is a long wide gentle green/blue run served by a couple of button lifts which I think would be ideal for your beginner friend (it also has excellent pistes for the other friends in your group, including a link to Hochfugen, and I'd certainly recommend that you all visit it). You can either drive there (they have a large free car park) or if you are intending having an apres ski session there you can easily get there from Zell am Ziller using the narrowgauge Zillertalbahn railway which runs along the valley and is included in your Zillertal liftpass (the Kaltenbach gondola station is about 200 yards walk from Kaltenbach station).

apres: At Zell am Ziller at the foot of the Rosenalmbahn gondola there are several apres ski bars. At Kaltenbach likewise there are several of them, including the well known Postalm which is very popular.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My advice would be to start at the Horbergbahn at Mayrhofen and spend the day on blue 8 it is massively wide and it is ideal for beginners, I taught my wife and two daughters to board there. There are good bars at the top and bottom of that lift also.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the tips guys!

I've been to Kaltenbach a couple of times and have seen those button lifts. It's just that you need to go up with the gondola first (hence paying for the normal fare)...
I guess I'm looking for something which doesn't exist here...I can't remember if it's in Austria or somewhere else that I've seen some reduced pass giving access to just a handful of lifts and I think that's ideal for beginners. I remember that when I learned snowboarding, I payed the pass for the 5 days at the start (recommended by the school), and with the teacher, we stayed in the nursery slope for 4.5 days, which was in free access, with a carpet lift!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
even the local passes make no sense, unless you are only there for a single day on the slopes.
2x 1-day local passes is same price as 1x 2-day full area pass, and anything with more days swings in favour of full area pass.

not sure if there's a 1 shot pedestrian pass, and free drag lifts at Kaltenbach or Zell am Ziller? (I know the lifts, but ski right past them, so no idea if they're free) Definitely won't be for the Horberg and chair.

Even if there was, my experience of single use pedestrian passes is that the saving is minimal.

Kaltenbach is the flattest bunny slope. Horberg gets you away from drag lifts. Never skied the blues that Alastair Pink mentioned at Zell am Ziller.
TBH, I'd pick Zell am Ziller because you're there, and saves driving, although all 3 have decent enough free parking by the lift.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy