Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Route advice- driving Chambery to Chamonix?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Does anyone have any advice on which route would be best driving from Chambery airport to Chamonix this Saturday? We should be leaving the airport by midday but mildly concerned the satnav 'quickest' route (Annecy and down A410) would put us in traffic heading that way from Geneva, and am tempted to go via Albertville.

It's a long while since I've travelled in the Alps on a Saturday but hoping it's not as bad as I remember it to be!

Any knowledge, opinions or advice appreciated, thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
problemplay, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Going via the motorway does put you on the road with the Geneva to Chamonix, GM etc traffic, but at least it's a big one. The Albertville route involves the notorious Val D'Arly road which is narrow and often closed with landslips. In fact I believe it's still closed now and although there's a diversion for light traffic, it's a bit laborious. Depending on time, you will also join all the traffic from Les Saisies, Praz sur Arly, Megeve and Combloux, going down the way.

It probably is as bad as you remember it (though Albertville is probably better, as there is a new road along the river bank which speeds things up).

Personally, I'd probably choose the Val D'Arly road because it's a whole heap more interesting but the wisest counsel is probably the motorway. Not very helpful, sorry!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it's snowy to low altitude - definitely the motorway!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
problemplay, If you are not in a rush the Val d'Arly route will be scenic, possibly stressful as it's very narrow in places with lots of shear drops, as the local diversion is being used because of yet another landslip I guess you can imagine a long slow but scenic drive, snow is forecast for the weekend so if that's correct then I would definitely use the Motorway.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I felt the diversion around the Val d'Arly only added about 15 minutes. If there is snow then avoid it as it doesn't have as many places to put on chains as the normal road.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Via Annecy. The other way is bonkers given that it's definitely a longer drive even if it were empty roads, and carries much greater risk of serious delays or poor conditions, getting stuck behind buses and tractors, etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also, fly to Geneva next time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr Pieholeo, it's shorter to go via Albertville and the Val D'Arly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I meant longer time, not further distance.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr Pieholeo, OK, yes, you're right. More boring and more expensive via Annecy though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mmm hmm. OP seems to have efficiency as a primary requirement though. I could be wrong.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Pieholeo, which route will be less disrupted by traffic? Hard to say, and will depend on time. By early afternoon most of the traffic "down the way" in the Arly Valley (ie people heading home) will be gone. But traffic heading from Gva towards Chamonix - arriving traffic - will be very busy in the afternoon.

It's a toss-up, frankly.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, of course as Mr Pieholeo suggests: fly to Geneva next time.
But if I was driving up from Chambery then it would be the motorway for me rather than some scary mountain pass.
There's been one or two nasty episodes recently with large boulders falling off the mountain and causing nasty damage.
Derails train. Crushes chalet.
Take the motorway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This happened 2 years ago, on the very road in question.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/houdini-escape-driver-survives-20-ton-boulder-dropping-220605976.html

Not that such things happen very often, but that road does get closed a lot for various other reasons.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Pieholeo, The OP won't be going on that road, it is closed, they would be using the diversion.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
Mr Pieholeo, The OP won't be going on that road, it is closed, they would be using the diversion.

Slow poorly maintained road prone to closure 'is closed'. Update at 10.
snow report
To be fair it can be horribly slow going on the road alongside the lake shore at Annecy as well. We sometimes went the other way (signs to Talloires) to try and avoid it, but that was a crapshoot too.

Sounds like your only sensible option is to charter a jetpack.
ski holidays
nasty things happen on motorways too, chaps. wink
snow report
Thanks for the replies everyone- given the forecast it does look like the motorway might be the best. I'd not heard about the diversion but was thinking the Albertville way might be more interesting and avoid the endless queueing scenario.

Wasn't planning Chamonix when we booked flights long ago, Geneva would have made things much easier!

Thanks again Very Happy
snow report
problemplay, your first problem might be getting to Chambery.....

It's going to be one of the busiest days of the season in the French Alps, so patience is likely to be needed whatever route you choose. Have a good trip. snowHead
snow conditions
problemplay, If the weather is in the slightest iffy, Chambrey will close and you will be diverted to Lyon, or maybe.....Geneva Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Slow poorly maintained road prone to closure

I've heard, somewhere, that that stretch of road has more money spent on it than any other similar stretch in France.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy