Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Actress Natasha Richardson dies after skiing accident.

Poster: A snowHead
Actress Natasha Richardson has died from head injuries sustained in a skiing accident in Canada.
Richardson, 45, the daughter of actress Vanessa Redgrave, fell on a beginners' slope at the Mont Tremblant resort in Quebec on Monday...
More details from the BBC here.

Actress Natasha Richardson is believed to be critically ill after a skiing accident on Monday...
More news from the BBC and bild.de

laundryman wrote:
I hope she pulls through.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BBC link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7947826.stm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awful news. But head injuries on a nursery slope whilst with an instructor? I expect there's more to the accident than has yet been reported.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and so the bbc asked

Quote:
Just how dangerous is skiing?

Answer

Quote:
With an average of 34 deaths a year, or 0.69 fatalities per million skiers and snowboarders, it is a very safe sport, providing you have the proper training and equipment, according to Dupont Emergency Response Solutions.

Dr Mike Langran, a Scottish-based GP has studied alpine injury rates for several years. He says around three in every 1,000 enthusiasts require medical attention.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7948778.stm
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The helmet discussion takes another twist
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1162595/Natasha-Richardson-flown-home-die-family-skiing-accident.html
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
poo-poo. Hope the article is wrong.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awful news, I too hope it is wrong.

But when was the last time you heard of an accident on the nursery slope causing such serious injuires, particularly if not a result of a crash with a faster skier coming from above? All very strange.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrisb wrote:
The helmet discussion takes another twist

I see little argument against helmets.
This does appear to be a freak accident. Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh dear, how very sad. Perhaps there were other complications - who knows, maybe that caused her to fall in the first place.... it's all speculation until official information is released.

The OH was knocked unconscious for about 5 mins last week whilst skiing - not to re-awaken the helmet issue (!) but I'm sure his injuries would have been much more severe if he hadn't been wearing one. All a bit close to home Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very sad freak accident - something similar happened this season to an elderly Austrian who slipped in the resort car park after a days skiing.

The helmet debate rears it's head at the end of this related article .....
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/17/natasha-richardson-leaves-hospital-skiing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very sad news this morning reported in The Mail Online. They say:
Quote:

Nastasha Richardson's family are gathering at her bedside as it was revealed the injured actress had been flown home to New York to 'spend one last day with her family'.

and continue with:
Quote:

'It's so sad. Vanessa, her sister Lynn, everybody is gathering in New York to say goodbye,' the close friend of the family told the Daily Mail last night , before adding: 'No one can believe what has happened, that this once vibrant woman, full of love, of life, is lying there brain dead.'
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Michelle, awful Sad . It sounds like a freak accident.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh how very sad. I know a bloke of similar age who fell at very low speed on a flat run to resort and whacked his head on the ground. Later that day he was admitted to hospital as he suffered a major brain haemorrhage. Fortunately he made a good recovery but was inhospital for 3 months.

Watched the Parent Trap a few weeks ago on a wet Sunday afternoon; a beautiful woman.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How sad Sad (Interesting reading the comments at the foot of the article above), it does appear to have been a low speed tumble on a green run, just the sort of accident where a helmet would have made little difference. Sad (edit: I'm wrong here this is where a helmet would have helped Embarassed )
How that family has suffered/is suffering.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 18-03-09 10:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Boredsurfing, Have to disagree on the helmet thing. Hardpack can be very hard, and a helmet will help soften the blow.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, hmm, I always wear my helmet on powder days, I guess the moral is not to ski on piste Toofy Grin
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
it does appear to have been a low speed tumble on a green run, just the sort of accident where a helmet would have made little difference.

I would think this is where a helmet would make the most difference.
High speed big impacts will over come any protection offered in a standard helmet but this type of fall at low speed is where it should offer protection.

I also keep seeing the Freak accident remark, followed by a similar story, can I ask how many times it has to happened before it stops been a freak accident and turns into an accident?
latest report
Dwarf Vader, oops, I have got it round the wrong way haven't I. It's high speed accidents that you don't need a helmet for, no wonder people get confused. I wear mine to keep me ears warm on cold days Toofy Grin
I really should try and read some of the ski related threads on here. Embarassed
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, yup agreed. The perception that all ski accidents are high speed collisions is simply wrong. A fall whilst standing still still can involve the head striking the floor hard, sometimes with fatal consequences.
snow report
Quote:

The Ski Club of Britain recommends children under 13 should wear helmets; its advice to adults is that headgear should be a matter of choice. "Out of 84,200 winter sports injuries recorded [globally] last season, 17,500 were head related," the club's website says. "It is believed that of those, 7,700 injuries and 11 deaths could have been avoided if they had been wearing a helmet." About 1.3 million Britons travel abroad for winter sports holidays every year. Dr Mike Langran, a GP who studies alpine injury rates, estimates 10,000 Britons are injured annually while skiing. Betony Garner, of the Ski Club of Britain, said: "Off-piste skiers wear helmets these days and therefore if you wear one it looks quite cool

hmmm food for thought.
latest report
Dwarf Vader, good point re the freak accident. I suppose I could say the same about julesb's recent event, it would be that the severity of the injury doesn't match up with skiing down a blue run, or I could if he could say with any certainty what happened. I don't suppose a helmet would have made the slightest bit of difference, as it was probably another skier hitting him in the back that caused the fracture. I still don't have a helmet, but it is top of my list, when I can find one that fits me properly. julesb will be wearing his, and is looking for a good back protector ( suggestions welcome).
snow report
Helen Beaumont, he should take me as a back protector. During my rugby playing days I was good at watching peoples backs Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing You'd be welcome wink
snow report
Helen Beaumont, glad to see he's back to skiing again Smile I agree that a helmet may have not helped.

A back protector may help but if I had that injury I would do some neck, shoulders and upper body workouts.
He may end up looking like a prop forward with a neck as wide as his head but all that extra muscle and strength can only help to protect his spine in the damaged area.
snow report
So very sad, my thoughts are with her family.
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader, he still has to have a CT scan before he is 100% certain he can ski in April. He's lost a load of muscle tone in his shoulders already. The most strenuous thing he is able to do at the moment are Yoga and Pilates, he couldn't even raise a resistance band over his head with his left arm a couple of weeks ago, so he really needs to build some strength back up before he can play squash again (he's left handed). The right one is a bit stronger . However, I can't imagine him with a neck like a prop-forward though Shocked
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
However, I can't imagine him with a neck like a prop-forward though Shocked

It does conjure up an odd image Smile over time I’m sure he’ll better, Good Physiotherapy will help.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dwarf Vader, his physio is excellent, and he gets extra sessions from his Dad who is a retired physio and osteopath.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,
You are right, speed is not the only factor.
I had a bad fall exiting a chair last week in Canada and whacked my head on the ramp which was pretty solid.
Whilst it made me see stars for a moment I was Ok but the impact can clearly be seen on my helmet.
We said at the time that without the helmet I would at least suffered a nasty cut and probably needed a visit to the local hospital.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, ref. back protector: I've just bought one for use on my motorbike which is so comfy (and wins all the group-tests in the m/bike mags) that I'll be taking it to Soldeu next week too. Called a 'Forcefield' summat-or-other, pm me if you can't find - £72.
I'd feel a bit of a twonk in the bike helmet too, but.. Shock
snow report
a friend had a fall off her bike - whacked head on pavement. No helmet. Grazed, slightly bleeding. She was all ready to jump on her bike and ride home but fortunately a nearby householder who knew a thing or two insisted on calling an ambulance. On admittance to A & E she was fine - firing on all cylinders, knew what day it was and how many fingers they were holding up. But they were keeping a close eye. 20 minutes later she was showing signs of confusion and 30 minutes later in an ambulance - blues and twos from Portsmouth to Southampton neurosurgery where a very long operation, followed by some days in the high dependency unit, followed by a very long period of determined rehab saw her almost back to normal. Her concentration/focus/memory is not quite what it was. If she had done what she wanted initially - and ridden the five minutes back to home and put herself to bed - she'd never have woken up. It's the sort of thing which could happen to any of us, any time - for example falling off a shaky step ladder whilst painting a ceiling, whacking head on windowsill. Very, very, sad when it seems such a slight thing initially.
ski holidays
BBC has now reported that she has died.
snow report
bh1 wrote:
BBC has now reported that she has died.

Yes Sad

There had been a lot of reports saying she was "brain dead", but it now seems to have been confirmed by her family that she has definitely died.
latest report
Very, very sad indeed - my thoughts are with the family Sad
snow conditions
roga wrote:
Very, very sad indeed - my thoughts are with the family Sad

That just about says it all really Sad
snow conditions
I wonder if she was skiing or boarding. Board falls by beginners can be violent especially on hard-pack. My thoughts go out to the family.
ski holidays
This is really sad - and will probably spur me to get a helmet. Previously I'd thought they were just for kids (since their skulls are softer, they say) and for those going for high-octane stuff. But I'm really quite chastened by this. Any other snowheads feel the same or am I just a pussy?

BTW, and this is not really relevant, a brilliant guy who was my art teacher died on the piste a couple of years ago. Think it was a heart attack after a fall. He was 70. Magnificently cantankerous old git. His last words apparently were "Of course I don't need a bloody doctor!".
snow report
Very sad news indeed -

May well spur more people to don helmets. There does seem to have been a steady increase in the numbers doing so - it took a knock on the head on hard packed snow three years ago to get me to go and buy one - all our family do now, the young, fit ones a few years ahead of us.
ski holidays
Very sad news. My thoughts go to the family, also the instructor.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy