Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

gear recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey fellas, appreciate your comments (any positive or negative) on this:

I want to get back into skiing. I haven't really gone skiing much these past few years with school and stuff on my head. i've just been messing around on these little snow blades that I bought 3 seasons ago. but now, fresh out of college, I am looking to purchase some new gear and hit the slopes.

found these :
Goggles
do you think this is a good buy for the price? will they fog up (VERY IMPORTANT)... ALSO, which lens should i get? rc36 vs Gold Lite? I will be wearing glasses under these...

skis
I am completely not sure. something 165cm with a good turn radius... anyone know of any good deals? I would classify myself as intermediate skiier.

boots
Even less of an idea... My shoe size is 10.5 (american)... what does this translate to boot-size? are you guys aware of any good online deals? also i've been told that it's better to go to a store and buy the boots yourself to make sure you are comfortable in them. do you guys agree?

found this one:
Helmet
any good? know of any better deals going on right now?

appreciate all your comments, and to everyone ski safe this winter Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to a boot fitter for boots, cannot advise who in the states, but I am sure someone knows Smile

If you get a helmet from Snowleopard you can get your goggles 1/2 price (or could a few days ago) The nine9 is a good helmet, the only thing (afaik) that it lacks from the G10 or Fuse is the ability to change the airflow "on the fly" you need to take it off and plug the holes/remove the plugs if you are too cold/hot. If you can get your bonce in a helmet that is quite good, as they are made for different shapes of head, not just the circumference.

I see that helmet is the 03 version, not sure I would trust a helmet that has been sitting in the store room for a couple of years (also that paint job looks awful Neh Neh)

I would not buy skis for a first trip back, hire at the slope. If you are serious about buying then demo a whole load and find what you like.

I would advise getting some lessons too. Spend a day or two getting your snow legs back, then get some instruction to make sure your technique is not too crazy bad!

I have Bollé goggles and have rose lenses which I guess would be similar to the RC36. These seem pretty good especially in flat/low light. if it is very bright then I have to get my shades out.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 1-12-05 22:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ash, Welcome to snowHead . Before you buy the goggles, visit a ski store and try some on with the glasses you will be wearing when skiing. That way you can check the fit and the lens colour. For the boots, go to a store, and get fitted properly, comfortable feet are a must. Avoid buying skis this winter, if you rent, you can try several different types/brands of ski and will have a much better idea of how you are skiing, and how skis have changed in the past few years. There are always good deals at the end of each season, but only if you really know what you want/need. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
curses forgot to say Welcome to snowHead Neh Neh

Welcome to snowHead Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy the boots from a master bootfitter, you should put in as much research finding a good fitter as in choosing a brainsurgeon. a good bootfit will give you so much more pleasure on the mountain and will make you a better skier. check at www.epicski.com they used to have a list of member approved fitters in the US. also worth buying the boots on site where you can go out and ski/test them on the mountain and then go back to the shop for adjustments.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Helmets...again fit is key. Giro Fuse (which I think is now superceeded by G10) and 9.9 have received the best marks in independent crash tests about 2 years ago. I have the Fuse and am very happy with it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boots are THE most important. Check out "Ski Boots, what do you really need" www.ski-review.com.
That should give you info with regard to getting the right boot.

Skis . . . . I would suggest demo and a private lesson or two. New skis are amazing but the wrong choice can be expensive and fall short of your expectations and needs.

You don't indicate your weight or enough info for anyone to accurate suggest skis, so try a few different radius skis in different lengths. You know right away if you don't like them, but give them a chance and the lessons should retire some old habits that may sabotage your efforts on newer gear.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wow fellas, appreciate all your replies Very Happy

Found this bootfitting master in my area (full list is at http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=3986 for your favorites Smile )
NEW YORK
Bootfitter's Name: Jeff Rich
Store Name: US Orthotic Center
Store Address: 515 Madison Ave, NYC
Phone Number: 212-832-1648
Additional Comments:
MtSnowman: Surprised I didn't see this name on the list already... Jeff is one of the founders of Masterfit U., the inventor of the InstaPrint footbed, and the technical director for SKI magazine's boot testing team. He is also a certified Pedorthist (one who specializes in orthotics.) Aside from that, he's a nice guy. I guess you can qualify him as a "bootfitting master..." His services are pricey, but I guess that goes with the expertise.

My question is, what really is a bootfitting master....? What does he do and how much does he charge? I also forgot to mention that since I have flat feet Sad ski boots have caused me much pain in the past...

I don't think my technique is too bad. I might be a bit rusty but I have a strong knowledge of the basics. I am worried though that the snow blades have made me a bit too confident, being that they are a world easier to master than the skiis.

Yeah I failed to mention my information: 170 lbs, 5'9", 22 years old ... A friend recommended 165cm to be a good fit for me. I really want to get new gear because I plan to go a lot this winter. Also how much does it cost to demo skiis? At killiington when I went this past weekend they wanted $45 to demo up to 3 pairs of top of the line skiis, is this fair?

I guess I will hit up my neighborhood ski shop to do some research on the helmet and goggles Very Happy

Thanks again for all your help,
Thomas
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In the UK they charge approximately £100 for fitting and insole. Add to that the price of your boot. so you are probably looking at a similar amount in dollars. Some experts will be able to charge more. If you have had problems with your feet then going to a master sounds like a good idea, and as boots will probably last you a number of seasons (up to 10 if you believe some snowheads!) the cost per run is pretty small!

a good discussion here, which Mr Rich took part in!
http://www.techsupportforskiers.com/tech_tip.htm
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy