Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

trying not to be negative..... but

Poster: A snowHead
Sochi.

Taking the most athletes we ever have, with, we are told the best chance of results. So far apart from snowboard slopestyle we don't seem to be living up to the hype. Is this going to be the worst return on medals versus entries?

I really hate to be negative....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As brits we should be content to have invented the world's sports and pastimes, and to be enthusiastic amateurs Toofy Grin . It's really quite unseemly to take it all too seriously.... wink.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
given we are not particularly snowy I think its amazing we get anyone there in the first place - never mind win anything.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bit early to declare that (to me at least) Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Calm down, it's only been going for five minutes wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skinutter, I agree. But we have already missed out on a couple of male and female slopestyle possible medals, a possible medal in the male short track speed skating... It is too early to say it's going to be rubbish, but.............
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The thing that's got my gears grinding is the inevitable slew of 'get involved!' 'grass roots' rhetoric, implying that having a few breathtakingly expensive indoor snowdomes might somehow produce a generation of olympic standard athletes. Truth is, our best hopes will still be the pampered/pushed kids of a handful of very rich parents, so it's nothing like a meritocracy, and some tiny percentage will - by complete chance - be half decent. And they'll still mostly be crap in the grand scheme of things. Millions of scutters from the projects who maybe had potential though, given the choice between spending a week's dole on 100 fags or two hours' snowboarding, they're another matter.

If there was an Olympics for eating microwaved fish fingers whilst idly masturbating in front of Terminator 2, we'd be unstoppable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ansta1, dont be shy - embrace your negativity
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DOOOOM! nah, it'll be fine.
All together now... CURLING! BOMAYE! CURLING! BOMAYE!... and so on.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hobbiteater, as those that have had the (mis) fortune to meet me in person will testify to, I am hardly shy!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's been hardly any "hype" as such. All talk before the start was about security, Russian attitudes to homosexuality, a lack of snow and that the facilities wouldn't be ready. It was quite frustrating that there was no talk of the actual sport.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Is this going to be the worst return on medals versus entries?

According to wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_Olympics ) we took 57 athletes to Calgary and won a grand total of zero medals (one of seven times we've not won any) yet this year we've taken 56 athletes ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics ) and are already off the mark so the answer to your question would seem to rather obviously be 'no'.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways wrote:
DOOOOM! nah, it'll be fine.
All together now... CURLING! BOMAYE! CURLING! BOMAYE!... and so on.

Are you Swedish?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thornyhill, only on special occasions Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swiftoid wrote:
Quote:

According to wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_Olympics ) we took 57 athletes to Calgary and won a grand total of zero medals (one of seven times we've not won any) yet this year we've taken 56 athletes ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_2014_Winter_Olympics ) and are already off the mark so the answer to your question would seem to rather obviously be 'no'.

Agreed I have been swayed by the hype and assumed it was the biggest team, but team GB say it's one of the strongest.

Really want the boys and girls to have a great time and deliver and fully behind them all.
snow report
ansta1, Women's ski slope style tomorrow, Women's Ski Halfpipe, Sliding still has to start in full swing, curling boys slopestyle. Patience does not seem to be your virtue!
ski holidays
I was surprised to see they went ahead with the biathlon. I didn't think Russia would let in the bi-athletes
latest report
Fattes13, wife and 2 children (girls) have worn down any patience I had, and many years of other stuff means I have no virtues left.

Here is hoping the other boys and girls do well. Bit if anyone wants to give me odds on team GB only getting 2 more medals I would be interested!
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
hobbiteater, as those that have had the (mis) fortune to meet me in prison will testify to, I am hardly shy!

^ Sorry, but that's how I read it! Shocked Laughing
snow report
sequoiaboard wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
hobbiteater, as those that have had the (mis) fortune to meet me in prison will testify to, I am hardly shy!

^ Sorry, but that's how I read it! Shocked Laughing

Ain't arguing. Now go get the soap.
snow conditions
I think we were slow starters in 2012? Not that that means anything for these games and not that Im bothered - Im happy with Jones' bronze if thats all we get. Girl did good. If we had Olympic medals in sandbagging Im sure we'd clean up Laughing
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
swiftoid wrote:
Quote:

Agreed I have been swayed by the hype and assumed it was the biggest team, but team GB say it's one of the strongest.

Really want the boys and girls to have a great time and deliver and fully behind them all.

It is one of the strongest.

We still have reasonable medal chances in the ski slopestyle (both men and women), several short track skating events, women's skeleton, curling, and outside chances in a couple of other events.

GB has never had more than 2 medals in any Winter Olympics since WW2, but there is a very good chance we will this time.
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
Fattes13, wife and 2 children (girls) have worn down any patience I had, and many years of other stuff means I have no virtues left.

Here is hoping the other boys and girls do well. Bit if anyone wants to give me odds on team GB only getting 2 more medals I would be interested!

"Only 2 more" would still mean we had one more than in any post-war Olympics.
snow report
If only we had someone in ski cross.
ski holidays
feef, Laughing its such a cool discipline to watch too
snow report
Quote:

Here is hoping the other boys and girls do well.

They've already done better than any of you - they qualified to compete in the Olympics. Since when was sport about medals to the exclusion of everything else? rolling eyes
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

They've already done better than any of you - they qualified to compete in the Olympics. Since when was sport about medals to the exclusion of everything else? rolling eyes

Quite right, my comments and thoughts are not about the individuals who have worked hard and earned their place, more about the "management" who have said it's about credible performance and results despite excluding some.
latest report
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
The thing that's got my gears grinding is the inevitable slew of 'get involved!' 'grass roots' rhetoric, implying that having a few breathtakingly expensive indoor snowdomes might somehow produce a generation of olympic standard athletes. Truth is, our best hopes will still be the pampered/pushed kids of a handful of very rich parents, so it's nothing like a meritocracy, and some tiny percentage will - by complete chance - be half decent. And they'll still mostly be crap in the grand scheme of things. Millions of scutters from the projects who maybe had potential though, given the choice between spending a week's dole on 100 fags or two hours' snowboarding, they're another matter.

If there was an Olympics for eating microwaved fish fingers whilst idly masturbating in front of Terminator 2, we'd be unstoppable.

Not sure that snowdomea are ridiculously expensive compared with other sports but they are not cheap. In all honesty the demography of medallists at the summer Olympics indicates that privilege helps. Over a third of British medallists were privately educated, in Beijing it was 50%.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Tell that to the BOA re: Emily Sarsfield Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
halfhand, +1
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Are you sure? wink
snow report
shep wrote:
As brits we should be content to have invented the world's sports and pastimes, and to be enthusiastic amateurs Toofy Grin . It's really quite unseemly to take it all too seriously.... wink.
What are you talking about?
snow report
Thinking back to previous winter games we have only really had a chance in maybe two events. Yes only one medal so far but I get the feeling we have other chances yet. We normally only win one medal per games remember
snow report
The official target is 3 medals. If we do that we will have done okay - 4 we will have done amazingly well.

Great chance in Women's Skeleton (possibly 2 medals)
Good Chance in Women's Short Track
Good Chance in Both Curling

Mens Ski Slopestyle prob outside bet due to form/injury

Couple of other outside bets - And remember just because there is a chance does not mean it will happen.
ski holidays
biddpyat,

Quote:

Foreigners:

"All the world over you''ll find they're the same,
They've simply no notion of playing the game.
They argue with umpires,
They cheer when they've won
And they practise beforehand which ruins the fun"
latest report
↑ Exactly!
snow conditions
Great little ditty that! Laughing
snow report
biddpyat wrote:
shep wrote:

According to the internet, we have already done our bit for sport, and everything else.

Quote:
Football
Cricket
Baseball
Tennis
Real Tennis
Table Tennis
Rugby
Rounders
Snooker
Cycling
Billiards
Barbilliards
Rowing(some forms)
Sailing(some forms)
Darts
Golf
Modern Boxing
Badminton
Squash
Fives
Skiing(some forms anyway)
Polo
Hockey
Ice Hockey
Bowls
Curling
Ten Pin Bowling
Tossing The Caber
Modern Motor Racing
Mountaineering
Aircraft Display Competitions
Modern Pentatlon
Eventing/Horse Trials
Shove Ha'penny
Coits

Yes Britain invented Baseball. Baseball is mentioned in the novel Northangar Abbey, written in 1807...long before the Americans claim to have invented it!

Edit ARDNAID - America did NOT invent Baseball, FACT. Also Britain invented the Steam Engine, FACT! Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone, he was a Scotsman!

Also, Britain invented the Bicycle, Jet Engine, Penicillin, Antseptic, Train, Underground Railway,Photography, Sonar, Radar, Power Loom, Matches, Television, World Wide Web, Computer, Chronometer, Test Tube Babies, Animal Cloning, Theories of Gravety and Evolution, Industrial Revolution, Portland Cement, Tarmac, Lathe, Miners Lamp, Gas Lighting, Vertical Take Off Aircraft, Jet Airliners, Air Forces, Industrial Mass Production, Stainless Steel, Hovercraft, the English Language....oh and British people also settled, colonised and created the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand too! lol.........be grateful yankees, you are our children, an ofshoot of the British, Historically, Ethnically, Culturally, Linguistically!

Oh we also invented Shrapnel Cannon Shells and the Battle Tank.
ski holidays
Chemmy's run to 19th place is quite creditable considering the results of some of the higher profile skiers:

From the BBC Sport website:

Germany's Maria Hoefl-Riesch, who won the super combined on Monday, struggled for pace on the sun-softened course above Rosa Khutor and finished 13th.

Austrian Anna Fenniger, another pre-race favourite in the absence of defending champion Lindsey Vonn, did not finish, while Austrian Nicole Hosp and American Julia Mancuso, second and third in the combined, came ninth and eighth respectively.

"I am disappointed with my skiing, I made some big mistakes," said Mancuso. It's tough and really difficult to stay focused on the whole run, but that's what separates the champions from the rest of us on race day."
latest report
JimboS wrote:
According to the internet, we have already done our bit for sport, and everything else.

Quote:
Football
Cricket
Baseball
Tennis
Real Tennis
Table Tennis
Rugby
Rounders
Snooker
Cycling
Billiards
Barbilliards
Rowing(some forms)
Sailing(some forms)
Darts
Golf
Modern Boxing
Badminton
Squash
Fives
Skiing(some forms anyway)
Polo
Hockey
Ice Hockey
Bowls
Curling
Ten Pin Bowling
Tossing The Caber
Modern Motor Racing
Mountaineering
Aircraft Display Competitions
Modern Pentatlon
Eventing/Horse Trials
Shove Ha'penny
Coits

Yes Britain invented Baseball. Baseball is mentioned in the novel Northangar Abbey, written in 1807...long before the Americans claim to have invented it!

Edit ARDNAID - America did NOT invent Baseball, FACT. Also Britain invented the Steam Engine, FACT! Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone, he was a Scotsman!

Also, Britain invented the Bicycle, Jet Engine, Penicillin, Antseptic, Train, Underground Railway,Photography, Sonar, Radar, Power Loom, Matches, Television, World Wide Web, Computer, Chronometer, Test Tube Babies, Animal Cloning, Theories of Gravety and Evolution, Industrial Revolution, Portland Cement, Tarmac, Lathe, Miners Lamp, Gas Lighting, Vertical Take Off Aircraft, Jet Airliners, Air Forces, Industrial Mass Production, Stainless Steel, Hovercraft, the English Language....oh and British people also settled, colonised and created the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand too! lol.........be grateful yankees, you are our children, an ofshoot of the British, Historically, Ethnically, Culturally, Linguistically!

Oh we also invented Shrapnel Cannon Shells and the Battle Tank.

You seem to have omitted Britain's greatest contribution to civilisation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harington_(writer).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy