Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Edge to Edge" - What does it mean?

Poster: A snowHead
Have been looking at ski reviews and references to quickness of "edge to edge" keeps cropping up. Have searched the web but cant come up with what this means. Is it good, is it bad, what does it mean?.

Ta
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It means the time to get the ski from the edge on one side to to the edge on the other - ie the time to change from turning in one direction to the other. It is a good thing for racers and mogul skiers to be quick and efficient changing direction, hence the narrower skis which are quicker to get from edge to edge.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty, have a quick gander at your skis.

If you look closely, you may just be able to make out two strips of metal down each of the long sides. These are known as edges.

Stand on your ski and rock the skis from side to side. You are moving them from edge to edge.

On snow, the faster you do this, the faster you change direction. You tend to be be able to do this faster on thin skis, but slower on fat skis.

But I may be wrong. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marc gledhill, Hey thanks for that, I did wonder why the edges where sharp metal, very dangerous if you ask me.

Is a ski that is quick "edge to edge" a good thing for say a learner, Intermediatte, or an advanced. Is a quick E2E ski harder to control?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, snowHead Thats not a bad question really. The young turks in the park use wide skis for stability on landing and grinding, so that would tend to show that they'd be good for beginners who'd benefit from the feeling of stability.

But, as they're also slower to turn, they may also put the fear of god into a beginner as he tries to carve at slower speeds. Nothing would seem to be happening.

On balance, I think learners and early intermediate should lean towards the thinner "quicker" skis.

After that, it depends where you want to ski. On groomed runs a "quicker" ski, like a race carver, would probably be more fun than a back country plank. In deeper snow, you'd want the wider "slower" ski with a larger turning circle to stop you face planting quite as much.

As for control, I think that the quicker ski is easier to control.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marc gledhill wrote:
As for control, I think that the quicker ski is easier to control.

The quicker the ski, the easier it is to get away with mistakes, frequently, but not necessarily the easier it is to control. (If you've ever had someone set up a pair of race stock slalom skis for you, then tried to ski them normally, you'll know what I mean! Wink )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I too have puzzled about this. The speed to go from edge to edge is instant (on a smooth slope where the undulations are bigger than the width of the ski) for any ski. It is either on the left edge, flat (and thus on both edges, ignoring the edge base angle of around 1 degree) or on the right edge.
However, skiing is a dynamic thing, all about weight etc. So as the skiier moves their weight accross from the left edge to the right, the time for that weight transfer to get accross the flat portion is more for a woder ski. What puzzles me is how I can feel this when the wide ski is only a few milimetres wider than a narrow one ?
I also suspect that the wider a ski is underfoot, the less sidecut it may have, so longer natural turning radius. As the ski flattens onto the snow, ski flex has less and less affect on the turn radius, and the sidecut takes over. Thus longer/wider skis turn less and feel slower edge to edge.

I intend to do lots more skiing on different skis in different conditions. THis may lead to more understanding, or it may just be fun snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A variety of skis for different conditions is something that some coaches aren't too keen on when teaching youngsters - it encourages laziness. So kids in race clubs aren't supposed to use slalom skis when free skiing, for mucking around on piste, nor fats or even 'all mountain' skis in powder/off piste. GS skis are used nearly all the time, making them work at turning, ensuring technique is bang on whenever they go off piste or ski trees.

Not suggesting everyone should do this, but younger skiers or indeed anyone intending to make serious progress with their technique might bear this thinking in mind.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lampbus wrote:
What puzzles me is how I can feel this when the wide ski is only a few milimetres wider than a narrow one ?

Just did a quick measure with a ruler...
My on-piste skis: 66mm at the core centre
My off-piste ones: 95mm at the core centre.
that's a 44% diference, and definitely noticeable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interestingly, the most rapid edge-to-edge performance from skis was probably achieved in the last years of leather boots, when skiers retained a degree of ski control from the ankle, rather than having the ankle locked in a plastic shell. The strongest most athletic skiers in that era (say late 1960s) could perform amazingly quick wedel turns on a moderate smooth slope - i.e. putting in very rapid snaking 'part-turns' in the fall-line.

Skis had already achieved quite high precision performance levels by that time, as fibreglass had entered production from the early 1960s, and ski edge qualities were already quite impressive by then.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 28-11-05 14:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG wrote:
A variety of skis for different conditions is something that some coaches aren't too keen on when teaching youngsters - it encourages laziness. So kids in race clubs aren't supposed to use slalom skis when free skiing, for mucking around on piste, nor fats or even 'all mountain' skis in powder/off piste. GS skis are used nearly all the time, making them work at turning, ensuring technique is bang on whenever they go off piste or ski trees.

When I was struggling with my technique at the start of last week I did suggest to my instructor that I might find it easier if I changed from GS to slalom skis. He said it would be easier, but it would be better for me to stick with my GS skis than change to a shorter radius ski. On reflection I think this was good advice, even if it was quite hard work getting to grips with the GS skis (I had a couple of high speed wipe-outs). By the end of the week I felt as if I was beginning to adapt my technique to the skis & conditions, rather than change my skis to accommodate poor technique. I doubt I'll take my GS skis off-piste though - that would be too much like hard work, regardless of how quick they are edge to edge!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grrrr.

Whilst "edge to edge" is a very valid term in describing how agile a ski or boot is in the lateral plane, the phrase gives rise to a multitude of sins when trying to teach/coach skiers.

Many simply believe that good skiers just go from "edge to edge" - as a result some pretty ugly skiing can be seen these days, with many forgetting the *transition" of going through *neutral*, via a crossover, crossunder etc. etc.

As a result we see many skiers today just slamming their skis from "edge to edge"

<rant over>

*opens can of worms*
Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, but the extra 29mm you have to move is in relation to the overall move of your centre of mass from turn to turn.This could be around a meter or so, so the ski width difference is 29mm in c1000. However this is a simplification as weight is transferred to the other ski during the transition.

I have been told I think about things too much . . .

David Goldsmith, Hmm, this could be because they are keeping the ski edged and flexed even as their body becomes more vertical (as you say, only possible with lateral ankle flex & not possible now unless you are doing things with your upper body).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lampbus, if you had a go on Wear The Fox Hat's skis you would find the difference very noticeable. I think the point is that when the edges are almost under either side of your foot, getting the ski on edge can be done just by tipping your foot in the right direction (I'm not saying this is good or bad technique...). With wider skis, your foot sort of lifts off the the ground. This while you have quite a lot of pressure on the foot.
I used to notice quite a lot of difference between a pair of skis with 66mm underfoot and another with 80mm. My fat skis are now 97mm so it really will require quite positive movements to go from edge to edge in the proper way
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lampbus, Arno has almost said it: the foot comes off the ground. That, however, is not linearly proportional to the angle the ski is edged to and is harder to notice as it goes as W/2sin(Θ)

Path length change is linear with regard to edging angle and easier to notice: If the ski with waist W is edged to an angle Θ on either side, the path of the middle of the bottom of the foot is 2x(ΘW/2) or just ΘW. So, assuming WTFH edges to something in between 0 and Π/2 the path difference (of the bottom of the foot, between his two skis) is between 0 and 45.5 mm.

This is linear with regard to edged angle and easier to notice, even for novices uncomfortable with high edge angles.
ski holidays
lampbus wrote:

I also suspect that the wider a ski is underfoot, the less sidecut it may have, so longer natural turning radius. As the ski flattens onto the snow, ski flex has less and less affect on the turn radius, and the sidecut takes over. Thus longer/wider skis turn less and feel slower edge to edge.

IMO you're almost on the right track here. My computation above is for a ski with infinite turn radius for simplicity; the term 'edge to edge' as used in ski reviews is intended to include words something like 'with each edge fully engaged along the sidecut' which means that tip & tail dimensions/curvature enter into the picture, along with ski flex.

Don't forget, a ski goes past flat into decamber on the snow!

Quote:
I also suspect that the wider a ski is underfoot, the less sidecut it may have
As the most recent crop of metrons have shown, this is not the case. Underfoot width and sidecut are independent variables.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 28-11-05 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
No one has yet mentioned the beneficial effects of plates and leverage.
snow conditions
veeeight, I almost did, but that would involve a force or speed/acceleration computation, a little harder to visualise intuitively and lends very little to the path length computation.
ski holidays
But is probably one of the biggest influencing factors in getting a ski faster from "edge to edge" Sad
latest report
comprex, doesn't a plate ADD to path length? i suppose theoretically, it reduces the amount of force required to move along that path length (forgive me if I fail to speak proper scientfic lingo). Anyways, I thought the main benefit of a plate was to prevent people achieving high edge angles from booting out
snow conditions
comprex, veeeight, As I read the maths bit, I thought 'plates' and thus how they affect the situation. I heard once that racing rules limit the base to boot sole height to 50mm (may be different now although my Volkl 5* is 49mm) ans this will also affect the forces required to swap edges.
I tried the Metron B5 (162cm ) at the PSB and liked them v.much - very quick e-e but I cannot say if this was a valid comparison as all the other boards I tried were 175+, but it helps support my theory that when people say 'narrow ski is faster e-e than wider' what they mean is 'tighter sidecut ski is faster e-e then longer sidecut'.
Maybee.
ski holidays
lampbus wrote:
I tried the Metron B5 (162cm ) at the PSB and liked them v.much - very quick e-e but I cannot say if this was a valid comparison as all the other boards I tried were 175+, but it helps support my theory that when people say 'narrow ski is faster e-e than wider' what they mean is 'tighter sidecut ski is faster e-e then longer sidecut'.

Have you considered the possibilty that both are valid? Perhaps the next comparison you need to make is between a Metron and a slalom ski?
snow report
Arno, why would you use 97mm waist skis in anything other than soft snow? In which case you aren't having to lift up at all? wink

Also, I would add that perception is often very different from specs. The 210cm DH skis I've used in the Inferno feel (and are quite wide underfoot) much faster edge to edge than, say, the preproduction Xscream Pilots (the very first ones) which, to my taste, were dogs anyway and definitely felt like I was raising myself up to go on edge. My recollection is of similar waist size in both cases.

Very self-centring and I didn't like it.

Also, I though plates major benefit was just allowing higher edge angles before boot out?
ski holidays
lampbus wrote:
I tried the Metron B5 (162cm ) at the PSB and liked them v.much - very quick e-e

Toofy Grin A convert, Cool .

Your right, the b5's are very quick e-e for a 76mm underfoot ski. I reckon as quick as my old 5*'s at 68mm. As suggested above, maybe it's 11m radius on the b5 that makes them quick?

I reckon that the integrated bindings are slightly higher on the b5's although I don't have my 5*'s to measure them against.
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Grrrr.

Whilst "edge to edge" is a very valid term in describing how agile a ski or boot is in the lateral plane, the phrase gives rise to a multitude of sins when trying to teach/coach skiers.

Many simply believe that good skiers just go from "edge to edge" - as a result some pretty ugly skiing can be seen these days, with many forgetting the *transition" of going through *neutral*, via a crossover, crossunder etc. etc.

As a result we see many skiers today just slamming their skis from "edge to edge"

<rant over>

*opens can of worms*
Very Happy

I agree, its of the the 1st things you learn a freeride boarder is how to control the transition from 'edge-to-edge' as opposed to tearing the mountain into shreds. Sensuous and speedy is the way we like it!
snow conditions
Very Happy

"Feel, the snow, caress the snow, work the ski/board. Don't just slam your skis/board from side to side"

Laughing
ski holidays
Very helpful folks rolling eyes . I obviously phrased the question wrongly Very Happy
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
Arno, why would you use 97mm waist skis in anything other than soft snow? In which case you aren't having to lift up at all? wink

in an ideal world I wouldn't! but sometimes you need to ski back to the lift along a piste Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, it's a hard life! wink
snow report
Arno wrote:
David Murdoch wrote:

in an ideal world I wouldn't! but sometimes you need to ski back to the lift along a piste Sad

Also, it is fun to railroad track fat skis, the adrenalin rush as you realise you need about as much space as an oil tanker to slow down and stop on a firm piste is something worth experiencing (as is the look on others faces as you carve your way towards them...)
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, you are just soooo irresponsible wink
snow report
David Murdoch, I wear a helmet, that's what makes me irresponsible... Wink
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, clearly hee hee hee

Although, do you class pocket rockets as fat? I played with a pair in hardpack/windblown in Alta and while I'm sure they're nice in powder, they weren't great in anything else (as you'd expect). Point being however that I didn't notice your oil tanker effect. Maybe I just skidded more, I dunno.
snow report
I wedelned on Pocket Rockets at Val Cenis...it was fun but I think I was just muscling them around
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
Although, do you class pocket rockets as fat?

Um, I don't recognise them as skis, but no, they aren't particularly fat - from memory they are about 88mm at the waist.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

My on-piste skis: 66mm at the core centre

That's fatter than my off-piste skis - I will have to start saving for a pair of Bro-Models I think!
snow report
davidof, $599 + $85 shipping to Europe. mmmMMmmmmMMMMMmmmmm

David Murdoch, the main problem with the Pocket Rockets (blue noodles) is that they're too soft to really truck 'em. They can't hold the same kind of edge as a stiff fat ski. Same problem with the first Faction models. In fact, ducking out of WTFH reach, it's the reason why I don't like the Seth Pistols but I've not (and probably won't) ski the Vicous. Blue Noodles are no longer a fat ski, but they may have been once. I've toured a fair bit on blue noodles and enjoyed them, they're forgiving and I'd recommend the 1080 Guns to any intermediate skier who wants a really fun mid fat ski for skiiing the whole mountain.

It will be interesting to see what my new Prophet 130s will be like edge to edge. Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy