Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snell approved lids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,
off the tops of your heads, anyone know which helmets have passed the Snell tests?
Thanks in advance, Den
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.smf.org/cert

?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reasonably certain that there are none at present... certainly none by any of the major manufacturers. The folks who did have some in the past don't seem to anymore.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Denni wrote:
Hi folks,
off the tops of your heads, anyone know which helmets have passed the Snell tests?
Thanks in advance, Den

None. There's no point wearing a helmet. Nuff said.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A quick look at Snell's home page confirms this. They only had a few models listed as being certified and a quick search on those models produced some utterly lame-looking helmets with crap ventilation, a massive chin-guard (admittedly detachable by unscrewing some enormous bolts, but nobody would ever want to use it - modern chin guards for racing are much less obtrusive) and a rounded shiny surface which a goggle strap will slip around on. They also look pretty heavy, although I couldn't find a specification which stated the weight.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There were quite a few issues with SNELL's testing (on motorcycle helmets specifically) until relatively recently. By concentrating on shell deformation and puncture resistance, the actual G-forces transmitted to the head were getting worse not better, to the point that one of SNELL's founders actually left the organisation.

SNELL is a US based organisation, and only really exists, IMHO, because the US DOT standard is a self-certification standard, not a standard with a specific set of tests and criteria such as the EC standards used here.

As long as it meets the EC/ISO standard it should be good enough.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi folks,
many thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
I only asked as I am in the market for a new lid. I did buy a Salomon Prophet Air because of a perfect fit but unfortunately upon closer inspection it had a hairline crack in it and In the meantime whilst the shop is hunting one down for me, I thought I'd ask the question.
I realise that the european certification or rather legal standard, seems the norm so will just go with that.
Thanks again, Den
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The ASTM standards are slightly more stringent than the EN ones (and isn't EN1077 being relaxed a little?) so its worth looking for a hat with that certification, but not worth losing sleep over.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Be aware that there are two classes of EN 1077: Class A and Class B. Class B covers the ears and has higher impact protection requirements.

Discussion here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96089
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again for the replies folks and the link to the discussion.
I knew there were a couple of classifications but not fully aware of the ins and outs of both.
Will do a wee bit more research.
Den
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy