Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year ideas/avoids!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I've had a look at the diary and I'm 99% sure that my work will shut down from the 24th Dec to the Monday 5th Jan 2015, which means that I might as well use that enforced holiday to go away skiing on the 27th over New Year!

Clearly it's an expensive week to go away, mainly due to flight costs, but I wonder if you can give me any broad advice on:

- Where to avoid (i.e. resorts that suffer from being too busy, in terms of lifts and pistes)
- Where is particularly recommended (not so busy, good night life, good value)

I'd prefer Austria, particularly resorts not popular with Brits, but not averse to the less English French resorts. I'd probably need near or above 200km of pistes without having to get busses etc, but that's not a deal breaker.

I like busy après straight from the slopes, so that's a bonus (and suites Austria for obvious reasons). Ski back to resort a must after experiencing the Hoff last week...

FYI, I've been to St Anton, Ischgl, Mayrhofen and Alpe d'Huez recently. Had a bad weather week in Tigne/Val D, so I'd not be averse to going back to the Killy.

Thanks in advance!!!

BB
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello again

Any ideas? Or is the answer just to do the usual booking research?

Ta

BB
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Badbobby, You've described Saalbach-Hinterglemm - 200km+, not a 'British' resort, good après on the piste, good lift capacity so that there are few long queues or bottlenecks etc.

Use the tourist information office website at Saalbach.com for some accommodation ideas, use google to find private apartments or read the Saalbach threads on here.

If you want to totally avoid Brits, then look at the Ski Amade resorts such as Maria Alm - but then you'll compromise the km.

One way of keeping the flight costs down is to fly back on Sunday - so ski all day Saturday (you can usually leave luggage at your accommodation) then take the late afternoon Holiday Shuttle to Salzburg Airport and stay Saturday night in a hotel by the airport. Remember to sign up for the various airline newsletters so you'll know when flights go on sale. BA, Easyjet, Ryanair, Jet2 and Flybe all fly UK-Salzburg.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 5-02-14 16:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, Saalbach. A sore point as I wanted to go there last week but my group decided on a cheap as chips deal to Mayrhofen!

Thanks for the tip re the Sunday flights as well - I'll look into that as well. At worst, I could look out for cheap flights to Salzburg and worry about resort later.

Decision made! Thanks!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm in Soll for every New Years, I love it!! Ticks all your boxes (esp for lively apres!) except the 'fewer Brits' one, but just throwing it out there for if you book Salzburg & don't make it to Saalbach. Saalbach sounds like its what you want though, so just book it now. Flights will be no prob once you book early, but NY accom is often booked up a year in advance so get moving on that now Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy