Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Mat Prices Anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
I am indeed a bit of a TechHead. I like to do a bit of digging and get hold of facts - comes with the job you know wink
So why oh why can't I get relative costings of artificial ski slope surfaces ? Yes, I know there are multiple factores (sic) in the pricing of a whole job, but I just want a basic cost per metre sq of the mats.

Also where do all the old mats go to die? Apart from Cornwall that is Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TechHead, Usually old mats are totally worn out before replacement, square metre @£150+ for dendix ultra thats why.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cynic, how does that stack up against prosno, snowflex, neveplast - anyone know? I am aware that snowflex needs a lot of surface prep and layers. It looks like prosno and neveplast can be slapped over an existing base, similar to dendix?

Does neveplast need misting? again its really hard to find definite information? I did hear that neveplast is so slippy that a lot of existing dry slopes are too steep for average user.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Everything needs mist (if you are going to ski on it in August) apart from Kleber which you coat with old engine oil, haven't seen any of it for 20 years.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TechHead, I always felt that the best Dendix slopes were the ones with a lot of base preparation, Silksworth and Trawsfyndd were my favourites. The worst I ever used was at the Lecht, the matting was just thrown down on top of the heather.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, do they do prosno in green? (oops wrong thread Embarassed )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Judging by the lack of answers either 1) snowheads don't care how much or 2) they simply don't know
I suspect the latter is correct, which suggests the pricing of artificial matting is a closely guarded secret
Why?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TechHead,

Most people don't know & don't care probably unless they are in the market for some, like most products that aren't aimed at retailing to the general public probably the best way to find the answer is contact each company direct, obviously the more you want the better the deal you can strike.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why not contact your local dry slope and see if there's anyone there that can help you?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TechHead, Ring up the companies yourself, I only know Dendex price 150-175. All prices will be conditional on how much you want to buy at a time? Colour? Distance for transport? Method of transport? Labour to unload? Do you want it laid by company? Etc. The information is not available for individual hypothesis if we do not know your parameters? I have acted as a negotiator for purchasing slope materials if you are interested PM me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last quote I got for Dendix (top of range) was 175GBP per mat (mat is approx 1.4x1.8m) for 100. Colour was not a factor in price. Delivered and unlaoded on pallets.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hmmm Dendix £150+ per mat new, so we have established that
What about the others............................
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TechHead wrote:
Others will be cheaper! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gatecrasher wrote:
TechHead wrote:
No they will not be, particularly Snomat which was at one time £50 more than Dendex for same area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cynic wrote:
gatecrasher wrote:
TechHead wrote:
No they will not be, particularly Snomat which was at one time £50 more than Dendex for same area.
Cynic, Hence the wink

Toofy Grin
snow report
gatecrasher, Apologies I hadn't noticed. I'm afraid that anyone expecting to get market research information on what could be a 250K+ operation to re-mat a slope would be sadly disappointed.
snow conditions
Fascinating response wink point 2 theory proven
snow conditions
Point 3 thirty proven also, techhead would rather blame snowheads for not knowing than finding out for himself wink
ski holidays
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Point 3 thirty proven also, techhead would rather blame snowheads for not knowing than finding out for himself wink
^ +1

Point #2 is the outcome of point #1 and point #3 should really be taken on board.... rolling eyes

snow conditions
Sack the Juggler, ah no, its point 2 part b i was referring to Laughing no blame attached though so please dont lie awake wink
ski holidays
Before designing Proslope and planning a site in Cornwall the first consideration was what surface. Having first skied on Dendix 32 years ago at Folkestone I was familiar with that product (first person in the accident book at Chatham too!) and having tried most of the surfaces and found them wanting, I designed Proslope. The essential consideration was why hadn't Dendix et al not filled the holes in? Puzzled

One of the main considerations of the cost of surfacing is that you're comparing like for like.

PBT filament Mesh with a stainless steel mesh was (two years ago) £238 per mat. being 1.8 x 1.2m it covers 2.16 sq metres. This equates to roughly £110 per square metre. (PVC filament with galvanised was less (£150?).

As the boss of Proslope, I can tell you that our cost is less even using PBT. How much less depends on volume and shipping.

But as I said at the beginning is comparing 'like for like'. Since we laid the main slope at Snowtrax at Christchurch's accident rate has dropped by 90%. Smile

On the financial side their snowsports income with people coming back to the sport and people coming more often has resulted in increases to the tune of 150%. Which is great if you're an operator or investor! Smile

Industry experts have said that Proslope is the closest artificial surface to snow, sounds like snow (not ice) and carves like snow.

Having said that we're not complacent and want to see how we can improve it further and reduce the cost.

But our mission is to revive 'dry slope' and bring affordable snowsports to a whole new generation....*stepping off the soapbox....*

Very Happy
ski holidays
not sure what make it is but there seems to be piles of the stuff on a hill near me in Sheffield Smile

thought about going and grabbing abit and making some kind of practice rail and run in but just need some space first
ski holidays
chrisoconnell, what are the racing options for Proslope? While being general thumb-breakers, one thing the dendix holes have in their favour is easy positioning of slalom poles. How do you work around that?
latest report
Quote:

Since we laid the main slope at Snowtrax at Christchurch's accident rate has dropped by 90%.

Yep, the mat at Christchurch is very good indeed (shame about the lift). If Southampton had the same surface it would be better than the 'indoor' slopes imho Very Happy
ski holidays
evski wrote:
chrisoconnell, what are the racing options for Proslope? While being general thumb-breakers, one thing the dendix holes have in their favour is easy positioning of slalom poles. How do you work around that?

We've got an easy and effective gate holder that is simply screwed into the plastic base. We are however currently making some tweaks to it. I have to admit that because of the number of holes in Dendix you get more permutations. That can be offset though by using more gate holders and maximising the number of courses you can set.

There's a bit of footage on our promo vid of some gates and you can see at the beginning how it carves... Smile
ski holidays
Thanks, I'll have a look at the video.
snow report
P.s., sounds like you've made a great product though, hope it goes well.
snow conditions
Thanks! Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I belive snowflex is roughly twice the price of dendix
snow conditions
Neveplast is 93 euros per sq metre. It's also the only surface "certified as having the same friction co-efficient as real snow". Although I've never used the surface myself, I do know the guys behind Neveplast UK, and the reason they got involved was because they tried it in Italy and were so impressed that they started bringing it to the UK to make the local dryslope better.
snow report
Neveplast is 40 year old technology, that the UK discarded along with other plastic injected materials: Bowmat, Ski Mat etc... Most people know the story of the surface at High Wycombe?

From experience they sound and ski like ice and being full of holes, are dangerous when you fall on them.

They do however have some good tubing products.
snow conditions
Chris, Neveplast is not the same as those older products that you are thinking of.
snow report
chrisoconnell wrote:
Neveplast is 40 year old technology, that the UK discarded along with other plastic injected materials

The company producing it is only 26 years old, and patented it after being formed.

I think you are remembering some other product.
snow conditions
The injection moulded 'technology' is 40 years old as is 'Dendix' type steel mesh material.
snow conditions
The plastic used might just have changed slightly in the 40 years which would affect slipperiness, grip, noise etc so it's not valid to dismiss something without trying it. After all, the basic technology for car engines is still the same as 40 years ago, but the difference is vast. Maybe a better analogy would be that a lot of tyres look very simmilar, but different compounds and subtle changes to tread pattern casue huge differences in performance. Also the slope usage stats that I saw appear to show that injuries from the holes are very rare, possibly because the holes are much smaller.
ski holidays
Oh I agree with your analogy Simon and that difference in demonstrated with Proslope. For our centre in Cornwall we set out to find a suitable material a number of years ago. Everyone we spoke to said Dendix for racing and Snowflex for freestyle. So I thought why can't you have the two combined? The best of carpet and mesh in one with a nice shock cushion in case of falls.

With regards to Neveplast I have tried it, we considered it for Cornwall and dismissed it immediately. I personally didn't like it to ski on - like ice... and it's not nice to fall on as my co-director found out. I also have a sample of it that I show to potential clients.

From a business perspective, apart from a tubing run, in the UK, injection moulded surfaces have failed to capture any market enthusiasm and don't have any reference points to demonstrate to potential investors any ROI, let alone meaningful safety stats across all disciplines - not just tubing!

There is no competition as far as I'm concerned - but then, hands up - I'm biased...

So I prefer to leave it to people like Eric Davies, Warren Smith and others, that say, 'Proslope is the closest artificial surface to real snow' and with the staggering increase in business and decrease in accidents - everyone's a winner!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy