Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone ever done a ski jump?

Poster: A snowHead
So has anyone ever tried doing a ski jump?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hell no. Stood at the top of one in Germany when I was a teenager during summer and that terrified me!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No, we stayed in an apartment in Switzerland once that overlooked a ski jump and I watched them come down and I like watching it but you wouldn't catch me anywhere near one.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did you see the German? guys crash from the other day? When it goes wrong it goes wrong!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not on your nelly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually an Austrian guy:

http://youtube.com/v/FYaHw7402OQ
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I saw the Zakopane crash a couple of years back. One discipline you won't get me doing, but I do fancy a trip up to the top of a ramp some time.

I know the guys that sent a mini (complete with 3 rocket engines) down the ski jump at Lillehammer - does that count?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll do a lot of dangerous things in my life, but ski jumping will never be counted amongst them! Love to watch it though!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can zip line off the big jump in Calgary. Its no longer used for ski-jumping as they reduced the size.

nephew and niece did it in the summer. Not my thing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
meh, was the Austrian guy OK. To me, watching ski jumping when nothing goes wrong is like watching paint dry and when it does go wrong - like that - absolutely horrible.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I waterski jump. Jumping is easy, once you get used to hitting the wall. probably not as fast as snow ski, boat doing 56KPH so prob about 70ish KPH on the cut - maybe more.

It's landing that's problematic, there be the similarity...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, in hospital with head and lung injuries. It's his second big crash in a month! Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thankfully he seems to be ok according to this report http://www.eurosport.fr/saut-a-ski/thomas-morgenstern-definitivement-hors-de-danger-medecins_sto4086703/story.shtml
latest report
Anyone thinking of doing it should read this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/northamerica/canada/734495/Who-dares-jumps.html
latest report
gryphea wrote:
You can zip line off the big jump in Calgary. Its no longer used for ski-jumping as they reduced the size.

nephew and niece did it in the summer. Not my thing.

That must be new, i was at the top of that about 7 years ago and remember thinking WOW im going to die if i fell down this.
snow report
How does anyone do their first jump? I often think this when I am watching them. They look like they are all about 16!
snow report
I stood at the top of the one at Courchevel (Le Praz?). No chance. Ever. Terrifying idea.

more entertainingly, I also slid down the landing ramp in a whitewater raft (seriously). Even that was pretty mental.
latest report
Yes Morgenstern is on the mend.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ski-jumper-morgenstern-gets-clear-085346449--spt.html
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
To me, watching ski jumping when nothing goes wrong is like watching paint dry and when it does go wrong - like that - absolutely horrible.

Isn't that the case for watching almost any skiing? (Exception reserved for serious off-piste footage which is addictive. As I have no desire to go anywhere near it!)
ski holidays
lynnecha wrote:
How does anyone do their first jump? I often think this when I am watching them. They look like they are all about 16!

There used to be (not sure it if is still there or still in use) a mini jump round the side of the ESF childrens area underneath the Croisette in 1850, I'd guess they start out on that (knowing the ESF probably at about 3 years old!!)

I assume they do something similar everywhere.
ski holidays
I always think folks were wrong to laugh at Eddie the Eagle. OK, he was never going to be good enough to play with the 'big boys', but I was darned proud that even in the UK (a largely snowless nation), we had someone with the balls to go and do something as frightening as a ski jump.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 14-01-14 11:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
lynnecha,
Google for pictures of the jump at Garmisch. There are some little training jumps next to the big one[s].
snow report
There are two "small" jumps rather close to where I live that are now converted to plastic surface: http://www.freeride.se/fran-sno-till-plast/ (in Swedish, but the pictures are nice).

I wanted to do it for my friend's bachelor party but I was voted down. Still want to try it some day.
latest report
They do this is summer as well btw! I watched them last summer in Garmisch. Definitely not for the fainthearted.
snow report
Never! But having watched Michael Portillo do the zip line down a ski jump thing at Holmenkollen near Gotehnburg I thought I might give that a go.
latest report
meh, oh that is seriously seriously nasty! Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure Graham Bell did it on Ski Sunday once? From memory he started on GS skis on a very short run before getting to the "flying" stage on the big sticks. He was absolutely terrified, which made me think, if it's terrifying him, it is not for me!!
ski holidays
What for;
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy