Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

XC - Waxless vs waxed skis question

Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I have an annual xc ski holiday as well as a couple of alpine ones.

We're just recreational skiers and have occasionally skated but mainly do classic. We normally hire equipment but were thinking about getting our own classic skis. I was all for buying waxed skis (i.e. kick and glide) but a couple of years ago my wife had waxed skis and the kick wax wasn't so good and she strained a muscle in her thigh almost certainly as a result.

We've used waxless (fish-scales) before and I've always found them OK so maybe it's just a bit of xc ski snobbery. I notice that we tend to find them (waxless that is) in North America but not in Scandinavia so not sure what that's about.

Now to be honest I am pretty clueless about xc skis so would welcome some advice on the pros and cons of waxed vs waxless from anyone who knows more than me

Thanks in anticipation.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrs M prefers the waxless skis. Much easier to use & less farting about with expensive grip waxes. I just glide wax the ends once or twice a year when I do my downhill skis, plus she has some of the Zardox type stuff to just wipe on if they need touching up. Never put anything on the fish scales, just jeep them clean.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a bit more drag with a fish-scale ski when compared with a waxed ski. If your racing that will make all the difference, if your doing long distances it will also be noticeable. If your just going for a gentle ski around the tracks you'll probably not feel the difference. Waxed skis are quieter but they do require a more precise technique. Getting the wax right for the temperature takes a little getting used to at first but isn't as complicated as some people make out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

less farting about

Laughing No fart, indeed. I'm glad dsoutar asked that question as I have "fish scale" classic XC skis and they don't always glide well (depends on conditions). I wasn't sure what wax to use for the fronts and backs - will Notwax do it, or should I get special XC wax, or just a spot of what I use on my downhill skis?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

less farting about

Laughing No fart, indeed. I'm glad dsoutar asked that question as I have "fish scale" classic XC skis and they don't always glide well (depends on conditions). I wasn't sure what wax to use for the fronts and backs - will Notwax do it, or should I get special XC wax, or just a spot of what I use on my downhill skis?

Just what you use on your downhill skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
OwenM, thanks, will give that a go, being very careful not to get any on the scales.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any ideas on what wax to use to make my xc skis go slower downhill as I get very frightened.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OwenM wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

less farting about

Just what you use on your downhill skis.

I just use my warm temperature (as Mrs M is usually in the valley) downhill wax. The liquid wax she has is Toko Express Mini which was sold to her by a guy in Livigno who seemed to know what he was talking about.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all so far. A bit more flesh on the bones of what we do...

We've been going to Finland for the last few years and it's fairly cold -20 to -30 normally and I believe that determines what type of glide wax to be used - no ? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I watch quite a bit on the telly and the commentators frequently refer (and it's fairly visible) that some people will have a better glide than others as the technicians have done a better job waxing or to be more accurate have chosen the right wax

Also regarding distance, we don't do much more than 30-40 km in a day and that's rare.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are 5 basic colours yellow, red, blue green and white for temperatures from +12 to -30 degrees C. For racing there is also an extra covering the top end of the temperature range and a special for the lower end of each colour. on top of that racers wax technicians will often mix waxes together just to get that last little bit of glide. For snow that had melted or melted and re-frozen there is klister which is difficult to handle without heat.

If your not racing forget extras and specials. yellow and red are for when the air temperature is above freezing so don't get used that much. Blue, green and white cover zero to -30 degrees C. You'll also need a wax thermometer and a cork.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are 5 basic colours yellow, red, blue green and white for temperatures from +12 to -30 degrees C. For racing there is also an extra covering the top end of the temperature range and a special for the lower end of each colour. on top of that racers wax technicians will often mix waxes together just to get that last little bit of glide. For snow that had melted or melted and re-frozen there is klister which is difficult to handle without heat.

If your not racing forget extras and specials. yellow and red are for when the air temperature is above freezing so don't get used that much. Blue, green and white cover zero to -30 degrees C. You'll also need a wax thermometer and a cork.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

snow report

snow report
Sorry about the multi postings I'm not sure what happened there.
ski holidays
Cheers - I think I got the gist !
ski holidays
OwenM, my skis are "cruising" classic skis, not built for speed. I have used them with no wax at all, including for a week of lessons with the ESF at New Year. My need for wax is thus marginal and maybe just for a bit more glide on the front and back. Would the wax I use on my downhill skis (Dominator Zoom universal) be OK? I don't want to get into anything at all technical.
ski holidays
Yes - I had a brief look at the Swix website and dark art is the kindest description I can think of of regarding waxing
snow report
pam w wrote:
OwenM, my skis are "cruising" classic skis, not built for speed. I have used them with no wax at all, including for a week of lessons with the ESF at New Year. .

Not quite sure what you've got there. Does the bit of the ski base under your foot have a textured pattern molded into it or is the base smooth from tip to tail?

Hopefully when I hit submit this time the post wont come up six times.
snow report
OwenM, they are classic skis, with scales in the middle - "waxless" so glide wax would be strictly on the fronts and backs. The bindings and the boots are, I think, called "pilot" - there are two bars to which the toe of the boot are attached.
snow report
[quote="pam w"]

Universal wax would be fine, it's just to give them as much glide as possible. All the coloured grip waxes are for skis without scales they do the same job as the fish-scales.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy