Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva airport refurbishment? (plus car hire q)

Poster: A snowHead
So I have just opened an email from Easyjet saying this:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FROM LEEDS BRADFORD TO GENEVA

Geneva Airport has started a refurbishment programme to improve their facilities. During the busy winter ski season we are expecting double the number of passengers and therefore the airport will be extremely busy. We expect that it will take much longer than usual to drop your bags off and clear security and immigration. We recommend that you arrive at the airport at least two and a half hours before your departure time. A Customer Host will be on hand to assist you in the Bag Drop area.

Can anyone who has been through recently tell me how it is?

Now, I was planning at getting transfers from ski-lifts.com or something similar but as the flight home is on a Thursday at 10.25am I am starting to wonder if it would be better to hire a car.

Now, from reading things on here there are things to note when hiring a car in Geneva right? I.e. which side to hire it from? etc. What else do I need to consider? Would hiring a car be worse than using a transfer company? I don't want to run the risk of missing the flight so I was thinking I would at least have the control over when to set off etc if I was driving myself.

I'm staying in Morzine by the way.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I flew into GVA on 4th Jan and out on 11th Jan on easyJet and can't say I noticed any difference to previous trips. Bag drop at both ends (LTN) was a little slow, maybe 20-25mins. Others may have different experiences...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last time I was in GVA was late November, I can't say there was anything going on inside the terminal which would give rise to alarm bells. Easyjet check in operated as normal. I would guess that a midweek flight in midmorning will not involve much queuing either. A Saturday would be very different. Not been since Nov, but I think it may be Easyjet just wanting to avoid late check ins.

They have been digging up the short term parking arrangements outside and rejigging them for about the last 4 years, but it's still easy to find your way around.

Car hire is easy. There may be Snowheads who favour saving a few euros by hiring on the French side, but it's really easy on the Swiss side and the drive out to the motorway is dead easy too. Drive to Morzine would be just over an hour. There may be a bit of a commuter traffic jam back into Geneva across the border at the time you would be returning. I can't say how much it would slow things down, but my own past experience suggests it could add 10-15 mins. Transfer co's are plentiful in Morzine, about 170 euros each way last time I looked for a bespoke taxi service. Depending on how long you are staying, it may be better value.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was at Geneva on Saturday and I didn't notice any refurbishment going on - for the first time in a long time. I thought it was all finished. They have been reworking the shops/departures area (upstairs) for years. Perhpas they are about to start on check-in (downstairs).

Having said that, the Easyjet section of check-in (the far left-hand end of the building) is always busy at weekends. It bemuses me to see them asking us to arrive two and a half hours before departure - I did that once and they refused to check me in saying check-in didn't open until two hours before take-off. This resulted in me (and a good dozen or so others) hanging around in the check-in hall getting in the way of everyone else.

Car hire is usually cheaper from the French side but (i) you need to be able to find the French side - it is accessed through a broom cupboard behind a bookshop, or something like that and (ii) you should probably know how to get out of, and into, the airport without going on the Swiss motorway as a French car may not have the Swiss motorway vignette.

All usual car hire caveats apply. Swiss car hire outfits are equally as capable of ripping you off for non-existent damage as those elsewhere. I always take CDW and insure the excess through insuranceforcarhire.com. And the cheapest deals i have found are through carhire 3000.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely all airports are constantly in refurbishment programmes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
v1cky24, what are your travel dates? Im guessing they have put this warning in place for the school vacations which are mid Feb to mid March. Going through on a Thursday will certainly be easier than on a Saturday too.

For car hire, try swiss side Avis. We got a good deal on a golf last week that was about 30% lower than Sixt who we normally use. The advantage with hiring from the swiss side (unless you use the very useless Europcar) will almost always have snow tyres included, but check the small print - Avis does include this on all models. Staying in Morzine you will not need chains (normal caveat).

If you need a good transfer company, click my website link and go to 'getting here'. Sarah will be able to help you from Rolling Road. If you do hire a car, make sure that parking is free at your accommodation.

We always drive, as we like the freedom to come and go as we please, and use Ardent Smile

Best route really is straight through the center of GVA, over the bridge, left at the fork, and along the lake, then a right turn up the 902 at Thonon! as said by Perty, 1hr-1:15.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dennisp, actually, IMO, depending on time of day, best route is straight onto the Mway assuming you have vignette, then off at junction 17 through Marignier and Taninges.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, I challenge you to drive the road up from Cluses to Les Gets in the winter with my wife in the car....the road up from Thonon is much less wife terror inducing, and I actually enjoyed blatting down it in our rental BMW in August! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
v1cky24, a similar message has been on the Easyjet site all season so far (see http://support.easyjet.com/faq/en/request.do?view()=c[case-3970]), though the earlier version just mentioned the increased number of passengers at weekends and suggested you arrive 2 hours early.
I went through without any trouble on christmas eve, but then I only had hand luggage.

Note: you need the whole of that url, right up to and including the square bracket after 3970. Or you can click on Latest Travel Information under Flights and Travel Info.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dennisp, Straight through the centre is fine if there is no traffic (which is virtually never!). If there is normal traffic it is quicker to head along the road parallel to the motorway going towards Lausanne and then go right at the lights and down past "Nations". This takes you over the railway lines and eventually onto Quai Wilson and the bridge. If it is really quiet in the centre it might cost you 2 minutes. If it is really busy it could save half an hour.

I was through the airport twice just before Christmas - no sign of anything different. I suspect Easyjet just want you there early.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was there last Wednesday (8 Jan) seemed OK (found Luton to be the nightmare on the way out - taking swabs of cameras/phones etc in hand luggage took ages to get through security), although a friend passed through Geneva last Monday (6 Jan) and said it was really busy. Maybe Saturdays are busier?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
v1cky24, was in Geneva airport pre Xmas. Very civilised and EJ check on was fine, no visible works. I'd be more concerned about LBA than GVA, don't worry.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all.

Going 2-6th Feb so in a few weeks time.

Still undecided on this car hire business. It sounds like a faff on lol
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
v1cky24, if you won't use the car in-resort I think I'd go for a transfer - get a recommendation from one of the Morzine locals.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As an aside does anyone how you get to use the priority lane at GVA security? I was able to buy priority at Luton with my car parking and it seemed worth £3 but I have no idea how you "get" it at GVA. The only way seems to be if you are a vaguely middle-eastern type in a dark suit with a crocodile skin briefcase.

Interesting thread on here also, about by-passing security by going through the French security. Will try this next time I am out.
ski holidays
sanman, french security always a right pain when we use it. E-services on the gva site is what you want. 8.-

I've always found (well, 4 occasions) that when I've bought it I don't need it...
ski holidays
The OH went back to UK for a couple of days on Monday with just a briefcase and said that security was way busier than usual, but that may have been a coincidence.
snow report
sanman wrote:
As an aside does anyone how you get to use the priority lane at GVA security? I was able to buy priority at Luton with my car parking and it seemed worth £3 but I have no idea how you "get" it at GVA. The only way seems to be if you are a vaguely middle-eastern type in a dark suit with a crocodile skin briefcase.

Usually they're reserved for status and business class passengers. Airlines that aren't based there (eg BA, Air France) will pay the airline for each passenger who uses it. It's only at holiday-type airports like LGW and LTN where business traffic is low that they offer it as a buy-in option.
ski holidays
I flew there the weekend just gone and hired a car no problem at all.
snow conditions
v1cky24, I promise you its no issue

I just booked a few hours ago with www.avis.co.uk. They have a sale number L628400 which is like 20% i think. Got a VW Golf for £315 for 11 days including snow tires. This is from the swiss side. Out the declare section of departures, turn right, go to the end, then go to the desk! Easy peasy! They have cheaper cars, but why bother; for only £31 a day its a bargain!
snow conditions
Except, call me dave, it's an option for CHF 8.- at Geneva.
latest report
Came through @ 6 on Sunday night. Haggled with hire car company (they forgot to fill the car), changed EasyJet flight to earlier one, checked in bags and cleared security inside 45 mins.
snow report
Came through @ 6 on Sunday night. Haggled with hire car company (they forgot to fill the car), changed EasyJet flight to earlier one, checked in bags and cleared security inside 45 mins.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone!
latest report
v1cky24, If You decide to transfer try skiddy gonzolez used them a few times very reliable, and go to Geneva every day so will prob know want's going on.
latest report
Try these
juan@skiidygonzales.com

http://www.skiidygonzales.com/destinations/morzine.aspx
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy