Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ortovox avalanche shovel for £20

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Just bought a basic Ortovox avalanche shovel for £20 inc p&p from surfdome (normally £2Cool
Thought I'd share and hope this doesnt break any forum 'advertising' rules.
Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, I'd have spent the extra £5 and got the Badger with the metal blade, or even better the beast which is a great price at £32 - sorry, just wouldn't fancy using a plastic blade to actually dig anyone out Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
intheshed, Sorry but Dashed, is right

I too quite a few years back thought a plastic shovel was alright, but just you try to dig a large volume of snow at speed with one and you'll soon discover the frailties of your purchase, same goes for light weight 2m probes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Presumably still better than no shovel though....

I didn't know they did a plastic one - the 'basic' kit with the zoom has the badger in it, I'd assumed it was the cheapest one. Better bargain than I thought obviously Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Better than no shovel but if I were you intheshed I'd return it and pay the extra for a metal bladed one as everyone is saying.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't agree with the Metal Shovel argument - Yes there are some crappy plastic ones out there - but a Lexan shovel blade from Ortovox or other reputable manufacturer is as good as any aluminum bladed shovel - an I ain't carrying a steel one.

The best shovel is the one you carry EVERY day - not the Good one that comes out on high avie days!

I have snapped 2 shovel handles and bent 3 blades over the years, but no failures of (lexan) plastic blades.

While I have done a lot of avie practice, dug shelters and built jumps I have to say I've never had to use a shovel in a real life or death situation - But I do know from more that one friend who has faced the situation that if the debris is tougher than your shovel the victim is Definitely dead, rather than probably dead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy