Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arriving in Val Thorens without reserved accommodation for 5 days in January?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello SnowHeads...

We are two guys planning a trip to Les 3 Vallees in two weeks. Unfortunately, it looks like the Alps are light on snow (so far, fingers crossed). I'm assuming Val Thorens is the best resort because of 2300m+ elevation (right?). Wondering what it would be like to arrive at the resort without reserved accommodation? Could we just sniff around and find something?

Here's the thing... we're advanced off-piste powder-hounds on Telemark skis, our first time riding in Europe. Val Thorens looks fantastic, but we're fearful of committing in advance to a booking when, should the snow conditions be icy / hardback / whiteout / awful, we'd rather be in a more picturesque setting -- perhaps Courchevel or even Zermatt (which would be less about skiing and more about sightseeing).

We have basic needs: looking for CHEAP, simple lodging (two beds, shower, kitchen a plus). We will not have a car, reliant solely on trains and buses.

Dates are: January 19-24, 2014 +/- a day or so.

Thanks for your advice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can pop over to Meribel if conditions in VT are really bad and you buy a 3V pass. If it is too windy the lifts over the top will be closed, but you can go round the bottom way. Bit of a faff, but keeps your options open. No idea about accommodation on spec though. We usually start with accommodation and work everything else from there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure why you have concluded that 'The Alps are light on snow' - especially France... Confused
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So what do you do if all the hotels are full when you get there?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rogue, welcome to snowheads. snowHead

There is an exceptionally high avalanche risk in many areas right now - have a look at this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105605#2432661 and this one http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100826#2433760 which has just reported another three deaths, including a guide, in Switzerland. Lots of deaths, in many areas, in the past weeks.

I suggest you get some guidance here before deciding where to head - the question of where the best snow is is more a question of latitude than altitude at the moment - for example Courmayeur is much better than Chamonix.

I can't help with that, not being a ski tourer, but if I had a car I'd be happy to chance finding accommodation in Val Thorens in January though less sanguine about getting something for less than the standard Sat/Sat week which is the norm in the French Alps. You'd probably have to take an apartment from the 18th for a week. With a car, if I failed, I could just head back down to Moutiers; I wouldn't do it if I was reliant on buses (a phone call to the tourist office could save you a lot of hassle).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Without a car you could get stuck in VT and when they close the links you will not get out of the valley. They now put fencing and a ski patroller on the tops to prevent anyone sneaking over. For flexibility why not stay in Brides which will give access to any of 3V and you can get an apartment there very cheaply?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the tips. As I mentioned, it's our first time skiing in Europe -- so we have no idea what to expect re: snowpack, weather, accommodations, etc. Ultimately undecided about where to go, just looking for the best possible conditions. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rogue, it might be a good idea to start again, with a thread asking for advice on where to head in Europe for 5 days touring in January (the answer might well not be Val Thorens). There are a lot of experienced ski tourers on this forum but they might not look at this thread.

If you are looking for cheap you won't beat this http://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/holiday/cart - one week ski off piste in Argentiere from 18 january, including full board, guides, lift pass, and will give you access to some incredible terrain - if the avalanche risk allows.

but it's a week - one of the key features of European skiing is that it tends to be in week-long chunks, starting on a Saturday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rogue, if only 5 days and you are really chasing cheap accom, think about going off the beaten track (somewhere like La Grave or Val d'annivers). Away from the crowds, and accommodation won't cost a bomb!

You do though mention that you are flex by a day or so, in which case, I'd suggest staying a full week, as you will be surprised by the cost difference, or lack of it!! As mentioned above, the alps primarily runs on week-long durations from weekend to weekend.

It sounds like your destiny could be to either Verbier, Chamonix or Espace Killy (specifically Tignes)

Hope that this all provides you food for thought!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent! We'll broaden our horizons beyond Les 3 Vallees and I'll start a thread on where to find the best snow conditions from Jan 19-24, 2014.

Meanwhile, since this thread is about resorts... Just to be clear, the real crux of this question is "can two guys arrive in a European resort without reserved accommodations and find a decent, basic place to sleep without 1) ending up on the street or 2) getting soaked by an outrageously expensive hotel?" I realize not having a car creates limitations, and, unfortunately, we simply don't have more than 5 days.

Thanks again!!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rogue, I would ring the tourist office once your plans are more definite. Although 7 day Sat-Sat lets are more usual, it is often possible to find something for your requirements especially in January when a lot of the apartments can be empty. Just before I owned my own apartment, I called the tourist office in Serre Chevalier to try and find something for 9 nights over Christmas (we needed it to be a bit flexible as we didn't have the keys for our own place). No problem at all.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

an two guys arrive in a European resort without reserved accommodations and find a decent, basic place to sleep without 1) ending up on the street or 2) getting soaked by an outrageously expensive hotel?"

They might be lucky but a series of last minute telephone calls could save a whole lot of time and hassle. When you ask about where to go, also ask for recommendations for hostels.

How will you travel? Planes, trains and buses aren't that cheap and at the sharp end won't always go where you want to go, when you want to go (there are more buses to resorts on Saturdays than on other days). You only have 5 days, don't spent half your precious time waiting for transport. Renting a car for 5 days might well be cheaper, for two of you.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don`t know how the costs would work out, or even if one would be available, so this is just a wild thought. But if you are already familiar with campervans you could consider hiring a fully winterised, kitted out, one for the 5 days. You could organise that in advance and then go where the snow looks best when you arrive in the Alps. Solves transport and accommodation issues in one go. When we used to take the Caravan the flexibility was a huge bonus, both in terms of where we went and for how long we went (not just the set one week period much Alpine accommodation works in).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CaravanSkier, doubt it would be cheap, which is one of their main criteria.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CaravanSkier, I suspect you are unusual in having extensive experience of towing a caravan round the Alps in winter - despite now having plenty of experience of driving an ordinary car in the Alps, and having no problem with snow chains, I'd be very wary of driving a big camper around in winter. But there were masses here over New Year (it always amuses me that they often seem to come and go on the busy days, despite the obvious advantages you mention).

We used to have an old Toyota Hiace camper with a Spacesaver roof, when our kids were small, and I loved it - I'm by no means anti, but I suspect Hells Bells is right, a winterised camper wouldn't be a cheap option.
ski holidays
pam w, I actually looked at hiring one to get us all down to the Alps for Christmas, I figured two nights hotel and meals might make up for the cost of at least most of it. AS it happened we managed to squeeze into the X-trail after all.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, how did the costs work out? I like the idea of touring the Alps in a camper in the summer but even the big outfits look a bit uninviting in winter, with insulation over the windows, parked up on a kind of layby with a toilet emptying point but not much in the way of other facilities. There is a campsite with hot showers etc but the cost of that, with electric hookups, is comparable to renting a small studio. My nephew and his daughter stayed here in a converted AA van at Christmas but they were able to come in for showers and hot meals!
ski holidays
pam w, I think it was about £1400 for the 12 days, but we had to hire for a full 2 weeks as we arrived back on Dec 31st.
snow conditions
pam w, We used to tour a lot in a motorhome. They are incredibly comfy and well specced. Probably better facilities than a small studio. We had gas powered hot showers, full sized fridge and freezer, 4 ring stove, 3 double beds, satellite TV (which the kids could watch while we were driving), heated lockers etc etc. Addition of a small generator ensured we could stop anywhere. We could also carry 950Kg of our own stuff........

but as you say - not a cheap option. To rent that now in a peak week wouldn't leave much change from 2k. It did pay for about 4 years skiing when we sold it though
snow conditions
Quote:

To rent that now in a peak week wouldn't leave much change from 2k

which would buy you a spacious piste-side apartment. The campsite costs wouldn't be far off paying for a titchy studio. My nephew found himself desperate to go to the loo (AKA bucket) one morning and his daughter was still asleep so he sat outside, in the dawn gloom, between his van and the car next door, reading the paper. It wasn't a terribly cold morning..... wink
snow report
I did say it was just a wild thought and only if they were already familiar with campervans Smile Interesting info on how expensive motor home rental is Hells Bells, and Thornyhill,
snow conditions
Rogue wrote:
Excellent! We'll broaden our horizons beyond Les 3 Vallees and I'll start a thread on where to find the best snow conditions from Jan 19-24, 2014.

Meanwhile, since this thread is about resorts... Just to be clear, the real crux of this question is "can two guys arrive in a European resort without reserved accommodations and find a decent, basic place to sleep without 1) ending up on the street or 2) getting soaked by an outrageously expensive hotel?" I realize not having a car creates limitations, and, unfortunately, we simply don't have more than 5 days.

Thanks again!!!!

No!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy