Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard-banning Alta in Utah faces lawsuit from snowboarders

Poster: A snowHead
Alta in Utah is one of three US resorts - the others are Deer Valley (also Utah) and Mad River Glen (Vermont) - which bans snowboarding.

The resort is now being sued by a group of snowboarders, because it occupies public land. The other two resorts do not.

Snowboarders Sue Alta For The Right To Ride
http://snowindustrynews.com/articles/snowboarders-sue-alta-for-the-right-to-ride/

Quote:
Wasach Equality are seeking to permanently bar Alta from enforcing from what they consider to be its anti-snowboarder policy and snowboarding ban. The plaintiffs also seek a declaration from the Court that Alta’s snowboarding prohibition, as enforced by the Forest Service, violates the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution and is therefore unlawful. - See more at: http://snowindustrynews.com/articles/snowboarders-sue-alta-for-the-right-to-ride/#sthash.4bdyxuoH.dpuf

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-01-14 22:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do they ban Skwals and Teleboards too ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure. Splitboards are clearly banned, according to this second report. Monoskis are permitted ...

Suit claims Alta’s ban on snowboards violates rights
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57403616-78/alta-snowboarders-lawsuit-claims.html.csp

Quote:
When Alden got onto a lift using a split board — a snowboard that separates down the middle for cross-country travel and reattaches for downhill travel — patrollers intercepted him at the top of the lift.

Meanwhile, an array of ski equipment was allowed, including one mono-ski — "simply a single board nearly identical to a snowboard in shape and size but with feet facing forward," the complaint states.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My understanding without reading those links is that it's the uplift which is restricted. I'll ride it when it opens up, although I've ridden Snowbird a lot and I'm not sure I'm missing much there. The other two I don't care about.

I enjoyed Taos When Hell Froze Over. It's amusing that the US has those weird traditions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Comedy Goldsmith, No problem snowboarding at Alta, as philwig, says its the uplift they arent allowed. Boarders just go up via Snowbird and poach into Alta Smile

As its public land they cant stop them, but can stop their use of the lifts, which they run. To much traversing for boarders to get to the goods anyway at Alta, and its full of really old folk, who stop just over crests, and stand in a line across the slopes. The sort of stuff they moan about snowboarders doing Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alta seems to attract some angry anti-snowboarding folk with the weirdest of justifications. This came out a couple of years ago...

http://youtube.com/v/YwWDMAEYe5c#t=122
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

The irony of this snowboard ban at Alta is that the most sophisticated snowboards of the 1970s - way before steel edges and effective boots and bindings were developed in the mid-late 1980s - were tested on slopes local to Alta and most likely on Alta's own snow.

The Winterstick was designed and manufactured in Salt Lake City by Dimitrije Milovich (pictured). March 1977 was the only time I ever skied Snowbird and Alta, essentially to meet and interview Dimitrije and arrange import of the first 20 snowboards to the UK.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I might just ski there again in 3 weeks if it's going to the dogs. wink

Deer Valley is a certainty with colleagues.

Mrs L likes both places greatly (but won't be with me this trip).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 17-01-14 11:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I read the lawsuit and also watched linked videos and read linked forum threads. Why would anyone want to ski/board in a place full of douchebags is beyond me. These people on the video are so full of themselves they may explode if not careful. It would be cool if boarders win the case not to ski the place but to stick it to them so that they will be skiing in fear they can meet a snowboarder:)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
looks like they need to do something as most of there customers look like there due to die over the next few years Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe they should go half way and only let female snowboarders in?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PlanetSki has a piece on this, with an interview with an Alta spokesperson explaining the ban ...

Alta snowboard ban goes to court
http://www.planetski.eu/news/5683
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is the text of the actual lawsuit with all links
http://wasatchequality.org/sites/default/files/WE%20-%20Filed%20Complaint%201-15-14.pdf
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So after the US Civil War that took 625,000 casualties, the 14th Amendment was passed to protect the status of all citizens before the law. A century and a half later, snowboarders are using the 14th Amendment because skiers are being horrid to them. A slight lack of perspective, it seems to me.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

and arrange import of the first 20 snowboards to the UK.

- so now we know who to blame!
snow report
The lawsuit is a publicity stunt. It'll go nowhere fast. One of the complaintants is the owner of Skullcandy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy