Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Major Roadworks for the next 3 years on A8 Munich to Rosenheim

Poster: A snowHead
Just putting this out as a warning to folks driving between Munich and the A8/A93 Interchange near Rosenheim.

They started building a new interchange for the Rosenheim By-Pass earlier this summer and this has just reached the stage where it will impinge on the A8. There are now narrow lanes and speed limits in force and I can see it getting worse before it gets any better. Last week they began the work in the central reservation area, I presume to start drilling footings for the bridges. Although there will be little work going on during the deepest part of winter, the lane closures and the speed limits will impact on travel times, particularly at peak periods such as Saturdays throughout the season, as well as New Year and Half Term periods.

The section is just after the Bad Aibling/Bad Feilnbach junction (Junction 100), which, as some of you more regular commuters will know, is the first junction after the Irschenberg. Over the summer there were problems caused by these roadworks without the lane changes but with the speed limits. As this also coincides with the point where people start changing lanes for the Inntal Interchange (a cause of many an accident in peak periods), I can see some big jams developing on occasions.

The roadworks are planned to finish by September 2016, so that is a couple of seasons or so with varying degrees of problems.

If you want a work around then PM me closer to the time of your travel. This section is part of my daily commute to and from work, so I will be looking for lots of alternatives to avoid hold ups. I already have several I use fairly regularly during the summer months, but will also be on the lookout for a few more alternatives.

Note to Admins/Moderators - if you think this should be in another section, please move it to where it will be the most helpful to folks who will be driving along this section of motorway to Austrian resorts.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely be needing bail-out routes, although I can see many of those being carnage too.
Only time I'm driving that way with a deadline is on the Saturday afternoon at end of Birthday Bash, heading for the airport.
Is Jenbach-Achensee-Lenggries-Bad Tölz and up to Holzkirchen a sensible detour? Or Seefeld-Garmisch?

Have 1 trip to Zillertal in January (late night friday, and sunday evening) to check out either the roadworks and/or diversion.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy, The Achensee route is a good alternative although the weather, as well as traffic volume, can be a problem. Plus you can get held up going from Bad Tölz through to the Holzkirchen junction if you hit a good day for the locals to be out and about. I tend to avoid that route when I can because of the problems between Tölz and the motorway and then onwards to Munich and points north. I can give you a couple of local work-arounds that we use on a regular basis, which use the A93/A8 but avoid the carnage around the Inntal-Dreieck.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 29-09-13 13:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ouch, I don't drive that often but it took us 2 hours to go 30km leaving Munich at the start of August this year, usually try and not drive on a saturday.

When I have been with Munich friends on public holiday it has seemed like every road was pretty busy so I've never put much effort into finding alternative routes as you seemed to spend as much time driving round backcountry roads as you would sitting still on the main road
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf, some of us have to find work-arounds because of work commitments. These can be useful, especially as they avoid all the usually Umleitung routes which are very quickly overloaded and blocked as well. Happened yesterday afternoon for example, just trying to get down to Rosenheim to do my shopping and I got stuck in traffic using Rosenheim as a way around said roadworks (which it isn't which is why they are building a by-pass - Rosenheim is a nightmare to get through if you don't know it!). I often find out about new back-doubles from locals as nearly all the people in my village who work have to travel along this axis, there's quite an interesting info exchange to be honest once they accept you as a local.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, That's going to make life difficult for you Sad
andy,
Quote:

Is Jenbach-Achensee-Lenggries-Bad Tölz and up to Holzkirchen a sensible detour?

At busy times, from Zillertal I go via Achensee, Kreuth and Tegernsee. When I used to drive transfers, on a busy Saturday during the winter it would take 2 hours from Fügen to Munich Airport on that route. A normal day on the motorway would take 1hr 40mins and on busy Saturdays it could take forever, so trundling past the lakes was pretty and mostly stress-free. On busy Saturdays and fine weather Sundays there would usually be a hold up at the crossroads north of Gmund, to Waakirchen and Miesbach. Once you got on the motorway at Holzkirchen there would usually be 10kms of slow traffic on the motorway as far as the ring road (A99?).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Will probably check the carnage on the Friday evening, and then try that one on the Sunday evening going home. Assume it's kept pretty clear? What is recommended - east or west side of Tegernsee?
Then for Birthday Bash, plan would be a Friday afternoon heading south to Innsbruck (no deadline, but would be nice to arrive by 6pm). Going back is the only real deadline. At least it's a late flight. 3 hours moving is better than 2 hours stopped on the autobahn imho.

Will of course be checking the usual stau info sites nearer the time.

PS did they ever fill in the crater sized potholes on the A93 northbound?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It will have a completely new road by the end of the Autumn building frenzy andy. They dug up another long chunk this summer and took it right back to the bed rock. The last section from Reischenhart to the interchange will still be lumpy though. That's scheduled for next Spring, so by the beginning of the 2014/2015 season the entire northbound section of the Inntal section of the A93 Kufstein to Rosenheim will have been bought up to modern standards.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the heads up. Had a nightmare trip last February, so much so that for Christmas we are arriving on a Friday to avoid the Saturday traffic.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here? (green arrow)

https://maps.google.de/maps?q=47.818457,12.020245&ll=47.896089,12.019043&spn=0.727402,1.234589&num=1&t=m&z=10
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for the heads up. I'll probably take the A552 or 304 via Wasserburg.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Avalanche Poodle, we only ever drive the Motorway to Lofer via Siegsdorf. We are just looking at the map and had picked the 304. Just wondering how good a road is this, similar to the Siegsdorf/Lofer road.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Avalanche Poodle, B304 is used by all the trucks to and from Czech Republic amongst other places and is frequently either jammed or even blocked by accidents. People go nuts being stuck behind trucks and take stupid risks, particularly along an improved section around Hohenlinden. I'm not sure where you mean with the A552, was that a misstype?

2waterford, as above, it is not an easy road, much like the B305/306 from Siegsdorf, except it does not get closed due to possible avalanches after heavy snow.

The best bet is to ask closer to your trip and I'll offer you a work-around or two that I use to get to and from work.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, thank you, will be in touch nearer the time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, Yes more or less. It is showing up on TomTom.com/livetraffic as major long-term roadworks, just before the road split going towards Salzburg (just after the joining of th A93 and A8 going in the other direction). It is going to cause jams in both directions as it progresses.
snow conditions
I guess "A552" really means E552 (aka A94 then the 12, which then eventually joins back up to some more A94).
latest report
Samerberg Sue, not sure if I got it right or not Smile Works will be north (or west or whatever right side of sky is) of Rosenheim, so going from Salzburg to Innsbruck shouldn't be influenced or? If yes, I guess I need to find new route for Soelden next month Smile
snow report
primoz, West of Rosenheim so you will be OK. Beware though that bridge repairs being carried out between Salzburg and the Inntal-Dreiecke ARE currently causing some delays. My junction for example is not directly usable in the direction of Rosenheim due to bridge works meaning that the access road is only one-way through (Ro 5). Same goes for the Nussdorf exit on the A93 Northbound. We are currently feeling a bit picked upon by the Strassenbauamt. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
andy, Yup... damn, I'm so used to the UK system hehehe
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, Get in touch closer to the date. The E552 is a huge diversion for where you want to end up. I can probably get you around all the problems much easier than that, Pete. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, those bridge repairs are there for last 10 years or so, so I'm used to those Smile
snow report
primoz, No these are new ones to bridges under and over the A8. The big bridge replacement between Bergan and Siegsdorf should be finished fairly soon (I hope). For example repairs to bridges over and under the A8 between Achenmuhle and Frasdorf seem to be causing hold ups for some reason. All only about about 100m in length, but the 80km/h speed limit and the narrowed lanes seem to cause some drivers to be confused! rolling eyes
latest report
Thanks, Samerberg Sue - I always wondered what those roadworks in the middle of nowhere were for!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Thanks, it was looking like the car again this winter but Jet2 and their Saturday flight from Edinburgh into Salzburg have saved the day! Very Happy
latest report
Samerberg Sue, oh I was thinking it was about that bridge some 10-15km from Austrian border, which they are "repairing" for last 10 years or so. Well we will see what will be on the end of October. For going there it shouldn't be problem, going back on Sunday evening might be a bit of adventure Smile But anyway, thanks for info Smile
snow report
Samerberg Sue, thanks for the heads up. That's decided then, we'll take the train to Austria from Munich airport in January!!!

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
This all seems... depressing. I live in Whistler.eh and every rainy, 25mm, fall day I think about skiing somewhere in The Euro-zone. I have skied my ass off for decades and for the last two seasons hit 150 days/season and averaged about 100 days if I didn't crash.
I am checking out St.Anton or 'somewhat similar' for a couple o' weeks. What I hear is 'traffic'... Commuter traffic, shopping traffic and skier traffic. I hear Lift-Lines. I hear families 'en Holiday.
I have friends from Miex - across from Verbier and also in Crans Montana. They usually come HERE to ski.
Can a real skier land in Munich and ski his ass off in a Tyrolean Strudel without blowing 8 thousand/million dollars ?
Some Average Day W/B ski vids on youtube. Search: G3FORC3 ' Why I Have No Friends'.
ski holidays
Wrong thread mate! Start a new thread and ask for advice. From what I have heard, prices, queues and traffic jams are very different from what you are used to living on the hill.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gforce wrote:
Can a real skier land in Munich and ski his ass off in a Tyrolean Strudel without blowing 8 thousand/million dollars ?

Yes Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi Samberg Sue. Just looking to book Munich flights for Feb. Travelling to Obertauern, therefore would be using this route. Plan is to stay over in Munich on Friday night, because we like Munich and head to Austria early Saturnday, 7.30 am set off. Have done this before with no real traffic issues. Whats the latest please? what do you think? A few hundred about to be spent, latest position would be appreciated snowHead
latest report
twoodwar, If you can, fly to Salzburg instead as it will get you to Obertaurn much quicker and get you back to the airport with fewer problems. However if there is the requirement to stay overnight in Munich, pick your location carefully.

The bridge works will continue until December 2014 but the whole joining of the A8 to the B15, thus providing Rosenheim with a by-pass, will continue until 2017 as far as everything I have read so far. This will be a new major junction less than a kilometre from the big Inntal (A93) junction, so the disruption will be quite considerable before the work is complete. Just how actively they can work on it in the winter months depends on the weather: mild winter and they will work through, cold and snowy and everything will be stopped until the weather improves.

As to how you will fare on any specific Saturday in February depends on so many factors I really cannot even guess right now. There have been queues in the Salzburg direction already but not so many in the Munich direction. All it takes is one broken down lorry and you are backed up in minutes. The sheer volume of traffic that passes along this stretch is phenomenal. But if it helps, I travel to Flachau every single Saturday in the ski season to manage 2 apartments. I leave my flat (9 kilometres further towards Salzburg on from this particular roadworks) at 06.00 at the latest to make sure I avoid problems along the A10 as the day trippers and holiday makers from the Austrian and eastern regions start to build up. East Munich is another hour west from me, so do the working out yourself.

I know that sounds pessimistic but by planning for the worst you can maximise your skiing and possibly reduce the time travelling. In really bad weather or on massive changeover days, there is not a lot you can do when an idiot messes up and holds up the whole shooting match. For my return journey I either leave before 16.00 or if I cannot, I leave it until about 18.00 at the earliest but by eating in one of the restaurants I know I can easily travel home in just over an hour after all the crowds have departed.
snow report
If Munich on the friday night is the only flight option, I'd probably consider trying to get to Salzburg for the overnight stop.
In winter normally I'm heading Munich-Kufstein and normally is fine at 10pm-ish.
In summer I'm normally heading Munich-Salzburg-Ljubljana on a Saturday am, and it's carnage every single time. Took me 9 hours for a 4-5hour journey last time.
Of course if you breeze thru at night on the way out, you'll have no clue what the return will be like (this is the problem I'll have at end of s10BB)
snow report
Many thanks Sue. If its ok I will drop a line nearer the time for any of the latest. We are looking for some additional skiing on the Saturday, want to visit Munich again, and the flights are a lot cheaper than Salzburg (I have done both routes before). The flight difference pays for the hire car for the week, and no transfer costs (ish).

Andy any thoughts on how early am to travel? I get up for work and leave at 6am every day, so one more for skiing wont be any hardship for me. Wife and kids will sleep the whole way, in a show of family solidarity!
ski holidays
twoodwar, If you are staying in Munich, make it somewhere on the south east outskirts and go for room only, no breakfast and paying the night before means you can get up and go when you like. When I lived in Munich and wanted to be ahead of the masses, I would leave around 05.00 and be on the first lifts while others were hammering the steering wheel in Frustration. Definitely an advantage being an early bird.
By all means contact me closer to your travel date and I can let you know how things are looking. If you need any help with booking a hotel let me know and I'll see what's available. Do check to see if there are any Trade Fairs going on at the Messe-Zentum Riem, the BAUMA Trade Fair takes place in February and every hotel room is booked well in advance.
snow report
Hi Sue, thanks for the advice. Will drop a line nearer the time on this thread probably. Were off to the Hofbrauhaus, (again), so staying, (admittedly against your suggestion) central in the holiday inn (69 euros per night) but an early start is where we will be at.
ski holidays
twoodwar, Also give me a shout nearer the time if you like - I'll be making the Munich to Hochkoenig trip each way, every Saturday to service our chalet, so imagine I'll have developed a feel for how things are panning out.

I've recently put a post up on Mountain Rideshare as I'm keen to share my emissions for the trip by carpooling with others who can fit with my timings. Let me know if you can manage a 6.00am depart after a night in the Hofbrauhaus Puzzled and perhaps we can work something out.
latest report
Quick Update:

As I drove home the other night after work I saw they have mothballed the roadworks for the winter and opened the eastbound carriageway fully again. I imagine that the westbound side will be cleared soon as well, that's if it isn't opened already. So at least this winter there should be no hold-ups as a result of the building of the new interchange. The hold ups due to the splitting of the A8 (Rosenheim - Salzburg) and the A93 (Inntal-Autobahn) will still occur when there is a high volume of traffic.

Anyone wanting to check the situation should bookmark these 2 very good sites, both of which have smartphone Apps I think:

http://www.tomtom.com/livetraffic/ this gives very accurate feedback from all the TomTom sat-navs in use for the whole of Europe (and elsewhere of course as it is world-wide coverage). If the GPS is switched on in a Tomtom device it automatically reports its position back to the company and records any stops longer than 5 minutes.

http://www.bayerninfo.de/planner - this is the English language version of the Bavarian police traffic information site. The map also has the option to show where any potential hold-ups could occur as it lists all the active roadworks in addition to the actual traffic hold ups. There are also links to the traffic cameras.

For Austria the ÖAMTC (Austrian AA/RAC) has a good site that shows all the hold ups and roadworks as well: http://www.oeamtc.at/?id=2500%2C%2C1095812%2C unfortunately it is only available in German. The key words here are: SPERRE = road closed, WINTERSPERRE = means closed for the whole winter, STAU = traffic jam, BAUSTELLE = roadworks, VERKEHRSINFO = traffic information, VERKEHRSKAMERA = traffic camera, SCHNEEKETTENPFLICHT = snow chains compulsory.
The site lets you select the province you need and always select ÜBERSICHT = overview as it lists everything.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, excellent thanks
snow conditions
Hi Sue, many thanks for this information Smile
ski holidays
I know this is really lazy, but we are driving from Rotterdam to garmisch. Are we going to hit this? I the driver not the navigator, so haven't looked at route yet.

Cheers,

Mark.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy