Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is Italy much cheaper than France, Austria or Switzerland?

Poster: A snowHead
Out of curiosity why is Italy much cheaper then France, Austria or Switzerland to ski in? They share the same alps?! Is Italy just less exclusive or are the resorts not as pretty?
How do Italian ski schools compare to say France or Austria?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably just not seen as 'good/exclusive' as the others - but in reality just as good!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was thinking that! My holiday in Italy is 2,800 euro including a ski bundle for the dc. A similar type accommodation in Austria with the same extras was 5,200 in Niderau (sp)... I couldn't believe the difference..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to observe, not just 'the same alps' - the Dolomites (which are Southern Alps) are spectacular, quite a different rock formation to Northern Alps. Many of the villages are very pretty.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Skifamily22, what components are you basing your cost comparison on? This is an age-old topic on snowHeads but I've generally found that for pre-bookable elements (flight, car hire, accommodation, ski pass, ski hire), France < Italy < Austria < Switzerland, with France being the cheapest.

Flights and car hire are often cheaper for Italy than France, but France is usually cheaper for all the other bits.

Also make sure you are comparing like with like - e.g. two similarly sized ski areas.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We booked with Crystal & I asked the agent to price a similar accommodation in Austria with the same package for the dc, it was double the cost!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Switzerland is always going to be more expensive than elsewhere due to the increased cost of living and higher local salaries.

I'm not sure Italy is "much" cheaper than France. As said above probably depends what you are looking for along with a whole host of other things (e.g. where you are flying from/to can make a big difference).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing in Europe is all about the business for years.
It is a method of making money for investors ... little to do with skiing.
When I ski in major European resorts, especially in France, I feel like I am in a factory.
They will charge as much as they can get away with.
This was massively brought home to me when I started skiing further afield, around the world. I was amazed to find areas and companies that are more focused on the skiing experience rather than the profit.
Obviously there is a balance to find.
Maybe the Italians are just less about the money ..... dunno?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pisteoff, The Dolomites are Eastern rather than Southern and there is some dispute as to whether they should be considered as Alps or a seperate moutain range. Or indeed whether the Brenta are part of the Dolomites. Never mind the Julian Alps. The Monterosa area is, of course part of the Alps and the highest mountain of the Alps is in Italy.

For somethings and some parts of Italy it is indeed cheeper in Italy, for other things such as accommodation more expensive - have a look how much a room in Wolkenstein will cost during the summer. It's eye watering.

Quote:

Probably just not seen as 'good/exclusive' as the others - but in reality just as good!

Apart from towns such as Cortina, San Martino di Castrozza, Wolkenstein etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skifamily22, Have read of the Post Office Ski Report 2023

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/ski-report

Bardonecchia comes in at 2nd (Italy has 5 resorts in the top 10)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@FoofyNoo, well of course its about business, anything an individual buys has a business/supply line leading up to that purchase.

The same as any country "exporting" any commodity, digging coal, oil, gold to ship globally etc. Just that you go to any place of tourism to use the commodity offered, here it's piles of granite/other and covered in snow. Still an infrastructure plus labour and all the elements of payment, direct wages, ongoing social support for workers, extended risk in financing capital expenditure to provide that infrastructure for you to use.
The safe design and ongoing liabilities for those lift etc, training investment of those supply companies along with forward research and development to most effectively supply and update these engineering facilities.

Each country visited for whatever reason is going to have an embedded scale. Are hugely cheap destination (for whichever a chosen leisure activity) able to claim reasonable community support for the people working within it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:
@Skifamily22, Have read of the Post Office Ski Report 2023

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/ski-report

Bardonecchia comes in at 2nd (Italy has 5 resorts in the top 10)

I’d be a bit sceptical of a report that reckons a holiday in Les Menuires costs more than the equivalent in Val Thorens or Meribel Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Your Crystal deal is cheap - but being booked AGES in advance. But as people have said, Italy isn't, overall, cheaper than the other Alpine countries. You are almost certainly not comparing like with like. Austrian accommodation is generally pretty high standard, whereas there are loads of cheap (and basic) self catering accommodation in France. I have no idea of the standard of your proposed accommodation in Italy but generally Italian accommodation isn't cheap, so very cheap Italian accommodation might have drawbacks (not that they are necessarily important if you're getting a good deal). For example, do you know exactly how far it is from the ski school meeting place (this will dominate your mornings)? Lift passes, ski schools and kit rental are comparable, across the board. Eating on the slopes is cheaper in Italy than France, but your deal doesn't include any eating on the slopes. Indeed, probably doesn't include any eating at all.....

All mountains are lovely but the best of the Italian Dolomites surpasses almost all of them. As does the coffee and hot chocolate. And the sheer style of the Italians, who always like to "fare la bella figura".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam_w we are staying in the residence campo Smyth, it's right at the slopes & the ski school meets outside our accommodation so it's ski in ski out... The accommodation doesn't have great trip advisor reviews but the location, price & being at the ski school & ski hire cancels that out. We're going sc.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, The post office pricing doesn't include accommodation or travel but does include a 2 course lunch and a bottle of coca cola (other brands are availalble - if you like that kind of thing. Looking at what they include in their basket most is irrelevant to me.

Austrian accommodation may generally be of a pretty high standard, but the places I've been to it wasn't, but they were budget places and UK operated chalets. You pays your money and takes your choice.
ski holidays
@johnE, I've not seen that report but as @BobinCH says to suggest that Les Menuires is in any sensible respect cheaper than Meribel is a bit daft. As for your deal, @Skifamily22, it sounds ideal! But it's because it's a cheap deal, not because it's Italy.
ski holidays
FoofyNoo wrote:
Skiing in Europe is all about the business for years.

It is a method of making money for investors ... little to do with skiing.

When I ski in major European resorts, especially in France, I feel like I am in a factory.

They will charge as much as they can get away with.

Such a pity that in my experience France has become unnecessarily over-priced, and despite world-class skiing, world class resorts, and top rated pistes/ski areas. Over-price for a simple reason .... greed. France has become the "ski factory" destination. It's now all about numbers, numbers of beds in resort, numbers of lift passes bought, numbers going to ski school, numbers hiring skis, numbers buying beers in bars. IMHO France has lost its cachet (great skiing, close to UK, food, wine, ambiance, varied resorts) of 30 years ago when Meribel/Val/Courche were actually great ski destinations. Now they are just cash cows for international investors staffed by "seasonnaires". Not to mention the "Russki" annexation of Courch 1850.

Austria for the past couple of decades and more has made ground on the French resorts and invested locally in areas like the Arlberg and Tirol to create their own world class skiing destinations that have world class infrastructure, world class ski resorts, and generally being staffed by locals offer a more genuine welcome. Big HOWEVER, the recent investments in Austrian resorts means that prices have jumped, with a knock-on effect, so that in resort prices are less than tempting in places like St Anton/Lech/Kitz.

Italy on the other hand has never sought to compete with the mega-miles of les stations de ski. Brilliant little resorts with their own character and charm stand out for me, especially in the Aosta Valley. Courmayeur - smallish resort with skiing attached in the shadow of Monte Bianco. Great on mountain experience with superb foodie options. Champoluc - interesting and rewarding skiing in Monte Rosa ski area, outstanding accommodations (Frantze Rascard/Hostellerie de Mascognaz), La Thuile - really under-valued ski area Petit St Bernard, great on/off piste skiing. Then there's Cervinia, and Valtournenche/Zermatt. I'm out there in January staying in Valtournenche, treating my self to a Junior Suite with private sauna in Boutique hotel 50 yards from the lifts. Priced at half the amount of something similar in Austria and France for like for like.

*jumps off soap box* Toofy Grin
latest report
ski3 wrote:
@FoofyNoo, well of course its about business, anything an individual buys has a business/supply line leading up to that purchase.

The same as any country "exporting" any commodity, digging coal, oil, gold to ship globally etc. Just that you go to any place of tourism to use the commodity offered, here it's piles of granite/other and covered in snow. Still an infrastructure plus labour and all the elements of payment, direct wages, ongoing social support for workers, extended risk in financing capital expenditure to provide that infrastructure for you to use.
The safe design and ongoing liabilities for those lift etc, training investment of those supply companies along with forward research and development to most effectively supply and update these engineering facilities.

Each country visited for whatever reason is going to have an embedded scale. Are hugely cheap destination (for whichever a chosen leisure activity) able to claim reasonable community support for the people working within it.

Agreed.
I think in all elements of business you can see examples of where the desire for profit has come to dominate.
Many PLCs exibit this.
The danger comes when there is a disconnect between the service and the investors ... when the drive is overwhelmingly for profit.
The only reason I posted, was the sudden realisation that I had become numb to this 'modus operandi' in large European resorts. I discovered something different elsewhere.
Of course you need money for infrastructure etc ... that's why an appropriate balance is desirable.
There seems to be a big difference between places that have a natural love of their environment and their ski area, who create a healthy, successful business model that doesn't over- exploit either the land or the punters, and resorts where the investors don't care if you are selling skiing or fridges as long as the return is high.

Maybe I'm just too idealistic and naive ... but while they still exist ... I'm going to the places that still seem to care.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
Switzerland is always going to be more expensive than elsewhere due to the increased cost of living and higher local salaries.

Well yes, or put more simply, it's down to skewed exchange rates.

Which is, I suppose, down to the relatively poor economies of many surrounding countries. Blame it on the EU, or the Euro, or whatever. It's not our fault! rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Chaletbeauroc,
Quote:

it's down to skewed exchange rates

This. In the 16 years since we moved out, the price of a decent steak and chips in a modest restaurant in Geneva has barely changed.

And I I am not convinced tht Italy is all that much cheaper in the round. Quality food and wine on the mountain, yes. But that's been the case for a very long time. Accomodation, not so much.
ski holidays
@Skifamily22, Can’t explain exactly why, but don’t worry, I saw your question the other day asking if you had a good deal, yes it’s a good deal. Bardoneccia isn’t a top end glitzy resort, but it will be ideal for your first holiday, and your accommodation is right on the slopes. I’ve been going to Italy, mainly Courmayuer, also Sauze just up the road from Bardoneccia, and the Dolomites the last 7 years after many in France, mainly to avoid the half term crowds as my son was in school. We also found it much better value to eat on the mountain, €2.50 for a cappuccino, Pizza or Pasta about €10 and big enough to share between 2.
I’ve also found less congestion on the slopes which is a big bonus for me.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 20-12-22 15:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@geoffknight I'm delighted to hear this. I was worried it might be an ugly resort! That's great to hear about the affordability, hope the wine is cheap too! Do you know if Italian ski schools are generally good?
latest report
Italy is indeed, on the whole, quite a bit cheaper than similar standard in France, Austria or Switzerland. I wonder how many of those saying otherwise have actually skiing much in Italy. Good quality accommodation is easy to find too, so again not sure where the idea came from that accommodation is in general of a lower standard. I guess people’s personal experiences do not represent what is actually available with a bit of research.

In general I would say Switzerland is the most expensive and agree this is mostly driven by exchange rates. I have always found it quite good value though as you tend to get higher standards. We ski there a lot but for sure you have to accept it is expensive.
snow conditions
@Skifamily22, ugliness is subjective, I think Flaine in France is in part stunning architecture, many think it’s a concrete Jungle. Wine will be cheaper than Dublin! My wife is from Rathfarnham Very Happy
Our son enjoyed his time in ski school, I’m sure yours will too.
Have you decided to try skiing also ?
snow conditions
Skifamily22 wrote:
I was thinking that! My holiday in Italy is 2,800 euro including a ski bundle for the dc. A similar type accommodation in Austria with the same extras was 5,200 in Niderau (sp)... I couldn't believe the difference..

is that for the season?
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
Then there's Cervinia, and Valtournenche/Zermatt. I'm out there in January staying in Valtournenche, treating my self to a Junior Suite with private sauna in Boutique hotel 50 yards from the lifts. Priced at half the amount of something similar in Austria and France for like for like.

Oh come on… not half as much fun as on the Swiss side wink
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cl7wZHmjY7k/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
snow report
davidof wrote:
Skifamily22 wrote:

is that for the season?

Doesn't say how many children they have. I suspect you can do it much cheaper, likely the TO just don't really run trips there and are outsourcing to someone else and putting their fees on top.

But yes, I'm amazed at how much people spend on family trips. Even with the increased prices I'd easily do 2 months, perhaps even 3, in BC for 2800euro. But I'm a solo ski bum happy to take all the cheapest options.

Quote:

Maybe I'm just too idealistic and naive ... but while they still exist ... I'm going to the places that still seem to care.

I'd say you are a little idealistic and naive. Spent summer working in Central Asia, and Autumn in Nepal. While many westerners were amazed at relative value for money, the markups were actually greater than Europe. Perhaps there are some family owned guesthouses that want to offer good value for money, but I'm sure even they know what they can charge and how much profit they can realistically get away with.
snow report
@BobinCH, Staying on the Italian side purely to take advantage of the Chalet L'Etoile for lunches. Toofy Grin

Possibly a trip to Chez Vrony is in order, but that's going to add 200 Euros to the lift passes for 2. Skullie

BTW, ... loved the hahahaboys. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boarder2020, I have 2 kids age 9 & 10
snow conditions
@Skifamily22, Just do some in depth research before choosing your ski trip. Italy will be busy during February half-term, and most Italian resorts don't hold great snow through to Easter, but can give great skiing all season long. Check websites like www.snoweye.com for up to date webcams. And J2Ski.com to have extensive resort details and information. Be flexible, do your homework, get out your calculator, add up all the costs, be prepared to dig a bit deeper than you thought, and if the bug bites, you will start a habit of a lifetime. Your kids are at the right sort of age to really get the bug. Beat advice ... buy some good ski kit!
ski holidays
I think there is as much variation in price within a country as there is between countries. Even for the same 'holiday' in the same resort there can be huge variation depending on the week you go and when you book it. I've found some of my most expensive and cheapest holidays in France.
latest report
@ski3, only part of the story. Supply demand the main driver. What are you prepared to pay? What service do you demand? Price is driven by these questions as much as a price floor created by wages and costs. Brits and French drive (ok Brits may fly) to the the French alps and pay through the nose because it’s convenient and forgo service. Not sure why…locality? Habit (French lessons at school?), marketing? All of these?

Same with Selva, Wolkenstein etc for those punters.

In reality consumers really take what is on offer and most of Italy and Austria is not on “offer” to Brits due to marketing and established players.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 20-12-22 19:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
There’s a few misconceptions about big business in France. The lifts are often owned by the Commune and operated under licence by a company such as Compagnie des Alpes. These contracts are carefully controlled with set percentages of lift ticket sales to be reinvested in new infrastructure, payments for rescue and piste management. The Marie has significant input into pricing. Damn capitalists in the Town Hall!
snow report
@skimastaaah, “in depth reserve” is how a Snowhead gets a cheaper holiday……not your average punter. How often are you a sled to help someone find a holiday? You make the suggestion snd the other party feels it’s too much effort or too much risk (e.g. not advertised in Inghams or Crystal Brochure so must be a risk…).
snow conditions
We are going January 14th 2024 so we should be missing all the school holidays.. Hopefully the snow will be good then
latest report
Quote:

There’s a few misconceptions about big business in France

Don't spoil their little rants with your pesky facts, @chocksaway.

Quote:

there is as much variation in price within a country as there is between countries

This is the right answer to the OP's question. Just as there is huge variation in the nature of resorts in each country. There are hundreds of resorts in France but it doesn't stop the deluge of generalisations about "factories" by people who have only visited half a dozen of them.
snow report
@pam w, yes completely right. Same prob in Austria, Italy, France really. Some places just stupidly expensive. Shop around…..but just as importantly be prepared to go independently so you are not limited by [tour operator’s] choice. Until I realised this I paid too much.
ski holidays
The UK tour operators only visit a tiny handful of resorts in any country - and the choice seems to be even narrower these days. That's the main reason to go DIY - vastly more choice.
latest report
It bardonecchia. Reason its cheap. Not enough investment in aging infrastructure. To many drag lifts, not enough chairs!

You need resorts that cover all budgets & Aosta valley has that.

TBH, with 2x young kids, there is no need to pay more.
Some people like big areas to clock up KMs & not run the same piste twice. Not me. If I find a piste I like, then I will happily do a few laps on it.

It is also a proper village & not a built to order resort, So as non skiers you have the opportunity to wonder around the town. Plus it is modestly prices where you wont be paying €7 for a beer!
There are not many places like that in France at the budget end. Val Cenis & Valloire jump out at the cheaper end - but getting there is another story due to difficulty/expense in transfers.

Crystal only bother with a small selection of resorts. If you can DIY a trip, then you can save a fair whack. Probably €500 off your original booking is quite easy to achieve if you know where to look & lock in cheap flights early!

Austria has lots of options. Most resorts are low level villages, so easy to get around on foot. It is well served by public transport if you dont mind taking a train/bus.
However it can be more expensive in equipment hire, lessons, lift pass, etc.

From Bardonecchia you can try other resorts for around the same cost of living. La Thuile, Sesterie, Saux d olux, etc. as the kids progress and outgrow Bardonecchia

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 21-12-22 8:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I find Italy(and Austria) much better value than France, better quality accomodation for similar money(B&B hotel usually), car hire very cheap in northern Italy, and Austria train transfers usually great value, cheaper eating out in evening, cheaper drinks in bars and cheaper food on mountain.
France is cheaper for deals that include ski passes generally(sunweb etc) so over all there probably isn't much in the end cost but I always feel I've had better value for my cash in IT/Aus
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy