Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot Flex Technique

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Recently I have been wearing my new boots in the house and realized my flexing technique is pretty bad, I have been searching the net and have found little in terms of the right way to hip, ankle and knee flex. Puzzled

Have you guys come across anything?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bit confused by your question, but don't you just bend the relevant joints?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
Bit confused by your question, but don't you just bend the relevant joints?

Hmmm yes, though I have been reading that the technique for all the joints is required for good steering power and improving your flex.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can walk up and down stairs then you are perfectly capable of flexing all the joints that you need to when skiing. If you flex one of the three main joints disproportionately you are likely to find yourself out of balance (e.g. flex your knees significantly more than your ankles and your hips and your centre of mass will drop backwards and down, leaving you skiing in the "back seat"). I can't think of any special technique for flexing your joints, other than just doing it, so perhaps better to focus on skiing in balance...?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar,
Quote:

If you can walk up and down stairs

just at the moment, I can't very well. Much looking forward to tomorrow's clinic... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
If you can walk up and down stairs then you are perfectly capable of flexing all the joints that you need to when skiing. If you flex one of the three main joints disproportionately you are likely to find yourself out of balance (e.g. flex your knees significantly more than your ankles and your hips and your centre of mass will drop backwards and down, leaving you skiing in the "back seat"). I can't think of any special technique for flexing your joints, other than just doing it, so perhaps better to focus on skiing in balance...?

Rob, don't totally disagree with you, but the ability to mobilise / stretch one of those joints can make huge difference to one's mobility, and hence ski performance.

Wen I had my Achilles pro a good few years back, the first physio I saw could not believe how little flex I had in my ankes. He had me walking along the corridor and back loads of times, and walking up and down stairs to work out how I was obviously making compensations. But even so at that point I was a pretty competent sportsman in a variety of sports, and a reasonable skier.
However, once the physio period of stretching and mobilisation over circa 3 months, I had loads more movement in the ankles, my skiing was hugely improved.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:

I flex disproportionately, with far more emphasis of my knees then I should. Balance isn't good right now hence the post.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sev112, i think you make a good point.

It is inherent to become a good skier, that particular joints have full FLEXIBILITY with enough muscle strength. It's called/ termed 'FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENT'.

I'm reading and doing the exercises in a book called 'TOTAL SKIING' by Chris Fellows.

For about 10 ~ £12 it's the cheapest skiing advice to guarantee improvement there is. Surely, watching youtube you can gain advice and you could take an instruction lesson for technique guidance which i strongly and repeatedly advise.

However, if you want to acquire a high skill and you just can't get in the correct bodily position, then it will prohibit / frustrate all your efforts and you'll end up asking why, why, why and go looking in all directions for pointers / tips / trainings / new equipment etc. etc - give yourself an even chance. You have to be in the right or best shape possible to acquire that skill and even a small flexing improvement in any of the exercises will enhance your skiing skill / lesson the chance of injury (by possible fall prevention) and ultimately you'll enjoy skiing more.

If you know you can't do that stretch, then at least its the right one to practice AND you know your problem. I do it all at home. It's a no-brainer for me. I wish i'd paid attention to this decades ago. Obviously this is not an alternative to taking ski instruction. However, if you want to get the most out of any instruction / holiday ( it's all quite expensive really) , then this is a must.

Have also a read of 'ULTIMATE SKIING' by Ron LeMaster. Again, it's pretty cheap and it clearly tells you what shapes your body has to be able to acquire a full range of mountain skiing skills.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sev112, all in favour of stretching to increase flexibility. To my shame I don't do anywhere near enough of it.

flyingsquirrel, OK, I understand. Very common issue. I think most instructors would describe it as "fore/aft balance" rather than flexing technique, which is why I was a bit confused. Just as an aside, it can be very difficult to flex some boots when you are stationary, such as walking around the house wearing them, and that won't give a proper reflection of how they move when you are actually skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
if as an individual you have a bit of you that doesn't flex properly then there are targeted exercises... I have (as I discovered after my boot fitting / balance session) reduced flex of the toes, so now have some tennis balls under my desk and work them...

Alasdair
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
akirk, I too play with my balls under my desk Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

However, if you want to acquire a high skill and you just can't get in the correct bodily position, then it will prohibit / frustrate all your efforts and you'll end up asking why, why, why and go looking in all directions for pointers / tips / trainings / new equipment etc. etc - give yourself an even chance.

you don't need any special fitness to get in the correct posture, as long as your not crippled you can do it, maintaining it through your skiing is another matter and fitness is only a part of that
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy