Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

infinitely frustrating collisions....

Poster: A snowHead
...a genuine new thread....

Last week, Plaine Morte Tubang piste, uncrowded, good viz, new snow, going down with my 8 year old carefully wiggling down a very straight line then GAPOW - a 60 something fat guy hits me full on from behind - I go straight out of my bindings and slam down on my left shoulder, tearing various parts of the rotator cuff and wrecking some tendons - my back protector and helmet meant no other injuries - 60+ guy recovers and immediately skis off fast as he can, leaving me and my youngster to get off the piste and get down; some 8km. Buggered if I was going in a blood wagon, but boy that was a painful descent. Two days off, then max druggage (amazing Olfen patches) and physio to get at least some skiing in. Back home now and cursing.

But I sure became aware of a lot of older, unfit guys who maybe one day had fast reactions but have no longer, going way too fast. This class of skier, once fit, once highly tuned, needs to recognise what they now are.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
valais2, he sounds like a first class to$$er Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
valais2, Sad Hope it all heals up quickly. What a tosser indeed.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
valais2, sorry to hear and hope you get well soon. Shoulders can be a booger Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Flying Gooseberry, many thanks - having broken shoulders on previous occaions (once my fault, once not) it's vital to move the thing as much as possible. Today I'm working on getting the reaction time back by playing catch with juggling balls with my young one. looks like skiing this weekend might be possible....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2, great, but be careful - guess it would hurt horribly to fall on it! Twisted Evil (Looks like another season is going to go by without my re-visiting Crans, btw. One day...)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
valais2, very sorry to hear that indeed and very best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery and I am very glad that the fat old idiot did not hit your child as that could have been very much worse as happened to my friend's daughter last season Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like the start of a bash the fat people thread.....this could be fun. My wife getting hit by a skinny guy cancels your fat guy. Actually no you still have it points as you were sadly injured. Hope that gets better soon
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bawled out a skinny kid who nearly took my daughter out at a crossing, he was coming down and ignored the slow signs and missed her by mm.

No idea what nationality him or his parents were, but I flipped at his lack of piste sense. I think he got the message and his mum seemed to be giving him what for as I left.

Sorry to hear about crash, skiing off was very poor form. Unfortunately genuine accidents and collisions will occur always.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Flying Gooseberry, Crans is much improved, new pistes at Toula and the new Coupe de Monde Femme piste. Excellent snowmaking this Christmas (after the chaos of too much snow in '11-12 and '12-13) - and the interlinking off piste still fab. The gorgeous Chantelle now runs La Cure at Aminona, and Chetzeron one of the best high restaurants in the region, I reckon.

But I now wonder about piste patrols. I previously have thought that they are a needless extension of central power, but now I wonder whether they are needed to curb bad behaviour. Anybody know of research comparing collision rates in patrolled and non-patrolled contexts?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 5-01-14 19:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
valais2, I MUST go back one day (best save up the pennies for that, methinks. wink )

Don't know of any piste patrol research. I'm all for freedom, but still wouldn't mind seeing some patrols.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 5-01-14 19:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris, ...that sounds like a good outcome ie glad he missed and glad he got solid feedback.

jirac18, ....yes...actually this is an explicit criticism of older guys who were once excellent, but who now ski outside their envelope of reaction and control. As I get older, I recognise that I need to compensate for slowing reactions, and deliberately do lots of sport off season to keep my reaction speeds up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Flying Gooseberry, when we used to go to Steamboat they had piste patrols at the slower runs coming into resort at end of day and would deal harshly with muppets
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris, yeah, the only place I've seen this is in North America. It's a good idea, I reckon.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
valais2, sorry to hear about your accident.

Anyway just a thought, but...

In terms of enforcing strict discipline could it be feasible to use the chip in ski passes to record speeds in certain areas (eg on learner pistes). If someone exceeds the speed limit then they would have this data fed to the lift system when they next tried to use a lift which would disable their pass for half an hour.

Then if they did it again it would alert one if a number of drones kept on permanent station above the resort who would then come down to give a recorded warning to the skier.

And then if they didn't listen they would have a hellfire...

Oops went too far...
ski holidays
valais2, sorry to hear about you injury and i am glad you are getting better. Yet another reason why offpiste is probably safer wink
dont worry jirac18, snowHead are excluded no matter what their weight Smile
snow report
valais2, all the fat old sh's are cowering in a corner awaiting a telling off. I feel sorry for your accident but is this not another generalistic finger pointing thread?......did the fat old toss pot have a helmet on?
ski holidays
The Flying Gooseberry wrote:
Don't know of any piste patrol research. I'm all for freedom, but still wouldn't mind seeing some patrols.
Me too, including "plain clothes" patrollers who were specifically looking for examples of dangerous skiing.
snow report
∆ +1
ski holidays
If an injury occurs and you report it to the police then in most resorts they can narrow down who the possible culprits are from who went up the ski lift servicing that slope. They know the date of birth and in many types of lift pass also have a photo. If you know the rough time you are hit then it can narrow down to a small number.

Only if you report it and it is quite a serious injury.
latest report
emwmarine wrote:
...many types of lift pass also have a photo.

they do? Puzzled
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
The Flying Gooseberry wrote:
Me too, including "plain clothes" patrollers who were specifically looking for examples of dangerous skiing.

Would love to see a bit of this going on. Loads of nutters out last week. One idiot clipped an instructor friend, she told him off, he hurled abuse at her telling her she needs to learn to ski rolling eyes

I was stopped at side of piste on a lesson waiting for others with space all around me, a woman was skiing towards me not really in control and just managed to stop right next to me, then said 'excuse me' Puzzled What? she wanted me to move or she was sorry for almost hitting me? She could have turned in about 4 clear places all around me rolling eyes
ski holidays
rob@rar, interesting ... this year I saw a level of bad behaviour which I have seldom seen in previous years - maybe just a coincidence, since of course it is only me looking at what I can see, with no objective base. But I am beginning to think that this kind of patrol approach would be a good idea.
latest report
New year week is without doubt the worst week in this respect
snow report
valais2 that sounds absolutely horrible. When we were in Breckenridge last year they had speed police out on the green and blue runs. I have to say the only people I saw them stop were the ones who were skiing way too fast, not looking fully in control and deserved to have lift their passes removed. People skiing faster but clearly in control were not stopped that I saw.
ski holidays
I was out in vallandry before Christmas when I friend was taken out by a flying snowplougher down Renard. We were station at the side, luckily no injuries but it was obvious they should still be on a nursery slope until they had learnt to turn! Worst bit, is the learner was British and thought it was funny that she had gone into someone
ski holidays
Sorry to hear that, and hope that you are on the mend; at least it wasn`t your daughter. My son, a competent skier, was cut up by a 50 something male 3 weeks ago in Montgenevre, whilst on his 4 week of snowboarding. He flicked backwards, taking a blow on his helmet, and was knocked out for a few seconds. The guy skied on, although I had noticed him earlier as he was conspicuously unaware of others around him. End result was that the 15 yr old lad really lost his confidence, and had a headache all over Christmas.
snow report
I tripped over my own pole while trying to unwrap a mars bar before Christmas in Val Thorens.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm just back from two weeks of skiing in Austria and didn't see any collisions on the piste. But in the resorts I was in there were very few British skiers and lots of Germans, Austrians and Dutch. Only anecdata I know but my impression is that British skiers are more likely to be out of control than others.
ski holidays
cstreat, ...that sounds worse than mine - I would worry about loss of consciousness in a person of that age, having done some research on head injury I now take concussions rather more seriously than I did when I was a youth. Appalling that the guy didn't stop if he was aware that an incident had occurred, but that seems all too common. I understand entirely your young one's loss of confidence; this recent incident of mine has really knocked my own.
snow report
Valkyrie wrote:
... Only anecdata I know but my impression is that British skiers are more likely to be out of control than others.

From what I've read here, that may be because they're extremely well insured and like to ski whilst drunk. Oh, they all have helmets though: they're not stupid or anything.
snow report
Valkyrie, I skied Kronplatz and Sölden a few times, neither of which host many Brits, but I've seen more than my fair share of Germans and Dutch skiing home plastered after aprés on the hill.
snow conditions
With so many over crowded slopes resembling Dodgem Rinks it's not surpising that crashes are happening.Nowhere to run to and nowhere to hide.
Add alcohol to 'Getoutofmywayordie' Mindsets and the recipe ingredients are in the mix for multi Incidents (not accidents).

I am no fan of crowded Pistes.
snow conditions
valais2,

That does not sound like fun at all, cuff injuries are literally a pain.

I know we shouldn't encourage American style litigation but how many of you, if you got the culprits name etc.
Would try and go for some sort of legal damages thingy ?

I would but then my career depends on me being medically fit.
latest report
If we're talking about nationality, then I see no more British out of control and too fast skiers (as far as one can tell obviously) than any other nationality. Same goes for fat and/or old wink
ski holidays
The thing that bugs me is when lots of people sko past someone who is injured instead of stopping to see if they are okay or directing traffic past.

At cairngorm last week a girl was lying on the ground helmet off and holding her head. She was wiped out by a fellow snowboarder straightlining down a crowded piste at the side 2x faster than anyone else.

I stopped but about 40 other people whizzed on by.

I think it is time that behaviour rules are handed out with lift passes now.
ski holidays
marmotte16 wrote:
If we're talking about nationality, then I see no more British out of control and too fast skiers (as far as one can tell obviously) than any other nationality. Same goes for fat and/or old wink

Yes actually I am fat and old and I reckon I am the slowest, most in control skier I know Embarassed
latest report
glasgowcyclops wrote:
I stopped but about 40 other people whizzed on by.

Years ago in Vail I stopped by someone who was standing next to someone lying in the snow, who turned out to be his friend who had (I think) had a heart attack. Someone else had already gone for help so I just stood by until they arrived. I wasn't helping but stayed in case I could. Absolutely nobody else stopped until 10 minutes later the patrol arrived, whereupon a massive crowd of rubber-neckers instantly materialised.
snow report
valais2, wish you a good recovery of your injuries and your confidence. A few years ago, my son and I went to the Sierra Nevada in Spain, for a kind of memorial week, as he'd learned to ski there as a child. We were amazed at how the small resort had been developed since our last visit, and to keep the numbers to a safe level on the slopes, the tourist office only sold a limited number of ski lift passes each day. However, a few seconds after I got off the chair lift on our first day, barely skied onto the piste when I was crashed into by a beginner, a young woman, with such force that I was totally winded and had a few threadbreaks of my ribs... so the rest of the week was in pain and not up to sking...never returned to Sierra Nevada since. Sad
ski holidays
Age has nothing to do with it. This 60 something guy was knocked flying by a young boarder who hit me straight from behind. The ski which came off was a good 20ft up the slope, and the boarder came to a halt a good 20 ft below me. so he must have been motoring. He gave me a look which said it was my fault for being in his way. His friend, who was going at a more sensible speed stopped and picked up my ski and was suitably apologetic on the other's behalf. Both were Brits btw.

I had slowed down because the piste was crowded with classes and children. But I guess the moral is that had I carried on going fast he would not have hit me. wink

Incidentally, in case anyone wonders, I was doing short-radius turns down the fall-line, so my direction and position were totally predictable. No injuries, luckily.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy