Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Communicator Concept Survey

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I am a student designer based in the UK looking into improving the design of walkie talkies used during skiing and snowboarding. I am going to be making a product that attaches to the upper arm, I just need your help to choose the shape, interface and colour of the product. If you are aged between 18-30, it would be great if you could have a go at the survey below:

https://l.messenger.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fforms%2Fd%2Fe%2F1FAIpQLSfh7LvY0TUfuMlVwtTTg7S6SAjtmsG7YFL5rKm79UUK_cH-Ow%2Fviewform&h=AT1ukSkIs1-823wEv0ss9hWBsEkM_iMcw42bq6-L_RO3lya4fxrGU4GO8St_BTZjqo36OOgBzRsKEzRda_rA9xz2IdJCHjLTLy1xN9EMC2R8iqDYI7RzuvRzBQpvJqNc15E

Many thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Done.

Your actual link is https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfh7LvY0TUfuMlVwtTTg7S6SAjtmsG7YFL5rKm79UUK_cH-Ow/viewform though btw wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2 issues...
1. I don't know any skiers who use walkie talkies.
2. I can't be arsed reading through the terms and conditions before takng the survey.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The terms and conditions are forced by our uni. They are relatively simple to understand and maybe we could change your mind if we succeed...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Done... ;: I just accepted the terms as I wasn't giving away any personal information
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Section A ONLY = Agree to participate anonymously

Section A & B = Agree for your name to be used in the study
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@S4903190, Why between the ages of 18-30 when that age group is too skint to ski/board?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@S4903190, I’m far too old but happy to ask some in your survey age range to complete.

How long realistically does it take to complete?

I used walkie talkies in past but discontinued because of poor functionality.
snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We used walkie talkies before roaming charges were banned. The problem was interference from everyone else on the mountain using them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gordyjh, yeah, it’s such a pain when the rescue services want to interfere with my luncheon planning.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Who uses walkie talkies when everyone has mobile phones? Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also, transmitting equipment may interfere with avalanche transceivers which is why a mobile is recommended.to be 30cm from the beacon.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Satellite comes already exist. See Garmin rescue and comms kit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queenie pretty please wrote:
Who uses walkie talkies when everyone has mobile phones? Puzzled
coverage is not 100%, so I guess they could be useful under some circumstances. OTOH I can't be arsed to carry yet another gadget around the mountain. It's bad enough carrying wife & kids spare clothing...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@spyderjon,
Quote:

Why between the ages of 18-30 when that age group is too skint to ski/board?

The Brexit boom is about to change all that almost overnight Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I assume she's talking about VHF radio, which only transmits when you press PTT. It's common to carry both avalanche and VHF transceivers without problem.

qpp wrote:
Who uses walkie talkies when everyone has mobile phones?
I'm too old to answer questions in the survey,
but people who spend time outside mobile coverage or who need an open channel (zero set-up time) need and use VHF radio.
The latter is the same reason security guards, anti-Brexit march organisers, railway staff and others use VHF radio not mobile.

Snow-sports examples include when you want to ask if the line to the right looks good; for photography or jump logistics; to warn your mates of bad snow;
to stage your group through avalanche risk; to find someone who's not appeared from the trees yet; to call for rescue. None of those things are really needed at resorts.

BCA have a product video which illustrates some use cases pretty well. I think you can see that a mobile won't work for this, even if you have coverage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=335&v=8rikO5Tqr4M&feature=emb_logo
I don't really like the BCA radios - they're "dumbed down" and expensive - but they are possibly aiming at the same niche as the OP.

All cheap radios come with separate mike/speaker attachments for people who like those. Some people like those (typically guides), but
most people will just stick the radio in a pocket and use it there.

Some people may have the idea that you could/ would use radios for gossip, or something like that.
Mobile phones are better for that purpose as they're full-duplex, and the set-up time is not an issue for "chatting".
I'm sure the OP is well beyond that though, as they are already working hard to determine the colour of their radio.
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
2 issues...
1. I don't know any skiers who use walkie talkies.
2. I can't be arsed reading through the terms and conditions before takng the survey.

You are also not the target audience.... wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy