Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flex in ski boots for some good all-mountain stuff.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello there everybody, I've recently been struggling with a decision concerning the flex in ski boots. I'm 5' 10'' and 120 pounds (ish) and I'm looking for some new boots. First here is some back-story: Another very good website had a page on choosing ski boots (this is the first time I can finally choose on my own), and it was talking about different flex levels for different skill levels. I am, in my opinion, a very advanced skier: I have been in a race club for 5 years, a freeride club for another 2 after that, and this is my second year with no club. This website was saying that for a skill level like mine, I should be looking for a stiffer boot, more in the 100+ range. Because of my complete infatuation with the colour yellow, I became interested in the Rossignol Alltrack series that is new this year, specifically the Alltrack 130. But here's the problem, I'm only a teenager, and I'm not sure i have the weight and strength to fully utilize a boot with high flex the way it was meant to be used. My dad tells me that I undersell myself, and that I could probably handle a 110 or more, but i'm not so sure. I love to go all over the mountain, and to dabble in some backcountry stuff too, and I am pretty close to getting myself a pair of Rossignol Soul 7's. So perhaps you SnowHeads can help me out, what flex is good for somebody like me? Puzzled
Shanksh, NehNeh
Hyper
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to the forum... Wink
If you are that experienced then you are a better skier than I am and my boots are 100 (optionally 120 with another bolt inserted)
but as you say there are other factors...
I bought my boots from Solutions 4 Feet - where Colin provided a very professional service... they are based in Bicester near Oxford, so that may be of no use to you - so let us know your location and I am sure that someone can advise on a place to give good fitting - you really need a good fitter for any boots

Alasdair
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think your spot on!
Colour is the most important aspect.

Size, flex, and fit are only secondary issues, especially if you favour yellow ... they are always the fastest boots.

My best boots were yellow ..... such a shame they didn't fit, but hell, God punishes those who don't co-ordinate.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't be too concerned about weight. I'm 19, 5'9 and weigh around 10 stone - my boots are Tecnica Demon 130's, and they're ace. I always found my boots had too much flex, these are perfect. Really great for rough terrain. But seriously, ditch the colour obsession and buy what fits best, from a good boot fitter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
flex is important, flex ratings are virtually meaningless and not even consistent within an individual manufacturer let alone comparable between manufacturers. get thee to a bootfitter!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is another thread going at the moment all about flex, quite a bit of info there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy