Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Esf Tignes Val Claret

Poster: A snowHead
Ok folks I made a boo boo and left it to late to get lessons with evo 2 for our group and dates. 333's website is unhelpful and they haven't responded and I'm struggling with the other schools too. The only one which looks to have availability and a booking system that works seems to be Esf plus there are big discounts on the lesson pass combo. Here comes the big but....are they any good? We are a very mixed group 13 year old who should be intermediate but last ski was without poles, hand in a cast and therefore very cautious snow ploughing on the nurseries, me just above beginner and a fraidy cat, 22year old nutcase intermediate, 22 yr old returner after not skiing since age 11 and 22yr old never put on skis!

Does anyone have experience of them in val? How good are they at moving groups if you don't cope or have gone for to low a group? Group sizes? Are they just of the follow me variety?

The lesson lift pass combo seems to be saving us nearly 100 euros each over evo 2 prices and seperated pass which means we can upgrade our apartment or just save the cash. Help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh and I forgot, language? 13 year old would manage even if all in French as she is about to take the Gcse and is pretty good, the rest of us wouldn't have a hope. They say they all speak English but how much do they actually bother? We had a really bad experience in Andorra with a rubbish instructor and it ruined the holiday hence my nervousness.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jellybabe,

Checkout http://tignes-le-lac.esf.net/ We have guaranteed group sizes & will have the same deal as Val C on lift passes. The instructors will move clients about to suit their level.

If you need anymore info just ask Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They have some good instructors, and are a 'good' esf in my experience with some native brit instructors (odd lessons here and there, and meeting a few of them in a bar NehNeh I think one is a snowhead too?), but like all ESF they have a LOT of instructors, so bit of a dice roll who you get...Better than no lessons at your level though for sure, I would happily do lessons with them.

For beginners the lessons+lift combo is good value, other schools can do it too though, just ask them.

For alternative - we used these guys and thought them very good http://www.ultimatesnowsports.com/

Jess

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 3-01-14 16:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ask for Lewis - he's a Brit, as for movement etc Mr Woodward will be along shortly with the answers!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
see i KNEW one was a snowhead Very Happy I didn't know leLac and valC were two different esf though!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We recently had lessons with Newgen (http://www.skinewgen.com/) in Tignes Le Lac - instructor's name was Joe.
Can recommend them highly enough.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a.j. wrote:
I didn't know leLac and valC were two different esf though!

Yes Le Lac & Val C are different ESF's.

ESF Le Lac also operates in and has offices in Le Breviere & Le Boisse (Tignes 1800 Very Happy). We operate lessons in all 3 resorts or will transport clients to Le Lac if there are not sufficient numbers in the smaller resorts. (enough advertising Puzzled )
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks but as we are staying in val almost opposite Esf meeting point it would be a royal pain to trek down to Lac in the mornings by bus and given abilities thee isn't time to ski it from first lift. I've heard many mixed reviews on Esf so relieved to here they are a good one. Re the prices, they still seem to be cheaper but it was the half term availability which was what promoted me to look in the first place. Evo 2 ( Alex) where awesome at Easter with the exes nervous kid and let me and my daughter follow the lessons behind all week so that she would stay in ski school. One problem we won't have this year yey!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

333's website is unhelpful and they haven't responded

they're frantically busy this week - I'd telephone. I've just finished a great week with ESF, in cross-country. Three of us in the group. It's rather the luck of the draw, though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Pam I realise they are all incredibly busy. Only done Andorra at half term and Christmas and the Tignes last Easter no lessons in Tignes due to daughters hand so conscious it will be crazy busy in Tignes at half term. Trying to balance our odd group and costs is proving tricky! Diy is bringing it all in at 760 euro plus food and driving per head inc school hire and passes if we go the Esf route and that is with the bigger apartment. I'm so excited but given our 2nd trip to Andorra was ruined by rubbish ski school instructor I don't want that experience again. Thanks everyone.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jellybabe, you are obviously not all going to be in the same lessons, whatever happens. Is your trip at half term? If so, I'd go for a "bird in the hand" without too much delay - as you've already discovered, it's v busy. Have you decided definitely on Tignes? If not, it might not be the top choice for your group, though it wouldn't be bad. What was the problem with the Andorra instructor?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Def def don't want to be in the same lessons anyway, they'd drive me mad! Yes we're at half term only time we can all make it plus the boys are sharing the driving with me. I know it is busy, I've got options on about 5 apartments but to be honest we will only eat and sleep there and no one is fussy, lessons and location the important bit. Def going with Tignes, I know it's not the easiest resort but the beginner lifts and slopes were fab so with our complete beginner we can still play on his first few days on the free lifts in the afternoons 2 of the boys not related but close enough to practically be family plus an easy run to val d and doing the verre are on the dd's list as she did them at Easter and wants to take me and the boys the whole green bit in val seems nice, enough for the boys to do in the evening, friendly enough for me on my Todd, easy for 13 year old to navigate on her own if she wants to poodle the Bollin or chill in the apartment of an afternoon very easy to find way round should anyone get lost etc.

Andorra 2nd time issues were all instructor based, we had the fab Princessa par as a hotel, snow arrived ad we did days before Christmas. Daughter then 11 put in my group due to lack of space in kids intermediate v boring for her and no friends to ski with as everyone in group 40 plus. Instructor was of the follow me variety, no help tips or anything else and rather too many rums in his hot chocolate at morning break! Everyone made a complaint! Such a contrast to the first time when we had an Aussie who owned the Irish bar called Dean who was fab. I learnt nothing that 2nd week skiing and felt far less confident than I did on day 2 of the 1st week.

I know Tignes is generally considered a bit more challenging than other resorts but it really worked at Easter and I'm confident that my dd can negotiate the resort and have a play if the boys and I decide to have a beer near the lifts etc, she can get to the supermarket if she wants, ski the Bollin or watch a movie etc, the boys can walk to bars and I can do a few runs on my own if the fancy takes me. Layout of VC a big bonus on this front plus piste markings really clear, little chance of me ending on a black instead of a blue etc . I know it is nothing to go by but found everyone helpful too. Dd was skiing without poles with a cast from fingertips to elbow and got fab help from lift staff etc which tends to help with impressions. Just waiting on the boys responses to book, quandary better apartment or an extra 120 euros for food and spends each than planned! Glad the 13 year old and the boys don't mind sharing a room but she has known them since she was only 6 hours old. So excited! Oh and I'm chief cook as the boys are rubbish so the deal is they pay for food and wine if I cook so even cheaper for me! Cheaper deal now coming in at 670 euro plus food and drive per person inc apartment, school, hire and pass which for half term see ms a bloody good deal.especially for Tignes. Thanks for everything folks thinki'll give Esf a shot.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To get rid of one worry, Tignes isn's considered challenging at all. It's a great resort for improvers, great blues, good signage, decent lifts. Val D'Isere is the challenging side (just runs home are not friendly to the nervous)

Agree you should just book esf and cross your fingers for someone good (I think the odds are in your favour, I've only had a couple of useless instructors and our group has done a lot of lessons)

Have fun!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you! Pow wow tonight over a curry. For price, pistes etc and our odd group I think we are doing ok. Re the difficulty I was going in comparison to Arinsal, however, skied more in 2 days following beginner group in Tignes than 2 weeks in Andorra. Can't wait!
latest report
Would certainly advocate ESF having stayed in VC & Le Lac & used them for the kids, never had an issue with moving them between groups as & when necessary.

If you are renting an apartment as we do, I would take the cash, lets face it, you use the apartment to eat & sleep........ Very Happy

Great resort, loads of runs for all standards, you can't lose Razz
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy