Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Really good all round ski for 8 yo

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Eldest son is about to do his first mini riders at half term. The kid skis like a demon, so we are looking for a great ski that will happily combine off piste and park. Any recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like he's fast progressing and will soon outgrow anything you get now. Would a good hire shop not be able to give you what you want, and maybe swap park/off piste etc as needed?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
K2 Juvy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
K2 Juvy is what our 8 year old coming up 9 has. This is his 3rd season with these skis and will be his last in these ones (bit longer to start and now short). He skis piste, bit of off piste (not extensive just off slopes /free ride areas), parks and uses them at dry slope for freestyle training. Been excellent for him and would get them again. Funky colours too!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys!

@pam w, I hear you on that one. But we are also trying to educate the boys (and ourselves) about buying and looking after appropriate equipment, rather than just 'hire and go'. We normally buy second hand and he has a little brother on his heels, so outlay isn't a biggy anyway.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RC4s
If he wants to learn to ski.

Parks are for mucking about.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 7-02-16 1:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ours both started on Juvy/Missy's which were great all rounders but son went onto a pair of Volkl Gottama juniors when he was 9 and they were a significant step up in performance to the point where nothing phases him off piste. Would definitely recommend them as they are built just as the adult model but with lighter materials.He has just moved onto a Scott Rook so I have a pair of 147 Gottamas that will be on the buy,sell,exchange once I have serviced them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
K2 shreditor 85. Its a bit more substantial than the Juvy and has more width underfoot. My 7 year old is skiing on them this year and loving them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fenfilly, ....how old is eldest son?

And recommendations like rc4 do not make sense in the context of 'piste and park' - we have rc4s for gates and twin tips for other days - rc4 is a very specific ski and superlative at what it does, but it is not an all mountain ski - unless the mention of rc4 was just a good-hearted jest.

Getting the right all rounder depends on his height, weight, his preferences and ability and exactly what you want to do day to day. And some technical considerations are important...more in a min...

K2 youth twin tips are excellent (we use them a lot in our family), salomon suspect and Mai tai are wonderful skis, and armada bantam for small kids. But they are very different skis...so here's the technical bit...

I agree with the second-hand thing - we have skis coming out of our ears, and that's great, since the kids can select different things on different days, and I don't mind if they have a bad day on stones etc - a quick repair while they are on another pair of skis works fine.

You do need to pay attention to:

Materials - which determine weight (light weight important for youth and air work) and flex
Side cut - salomon suspect excellent since wide underfoot yet small turn radius
Not too wide - many people go too wide for very light kids - makes it hard for them, and physics means that they float well on a narrower waist anyway

So I think you need to think about weight and height of child, what kind of park, what kinds of piste/park balance.

Get the flex right, get the side cut right, get the weight right, and get the waist width right.

Yep...k2s, salomon suspect and Mai tai (great dimensions and build), Line have some which are excellent, and armada have some very thoughtfully-designed youth skis.

Hope this helps....

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 7-02-16 21:54; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @valais2, really helpful! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@frozennose, I have messaged you about the Volkls. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy