Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go Pro Questions

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Thinking very seriously now about getting a go pro, but heard that the latest release of the 3 plus black edition had problems with focus??

Does anyone know if that's been resolved yet?

Also would you recommend 3 plus black above all other variants @ £350 ish, will be using for 2 or 3 skiing trips per year, sailing, windsurfing and mountain biking.

Finally any must have mounts/accessories that will be good for all activities?

Thanks in advance, Neil.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got the black+ and have used it for two trackdays, have not noticed any issues with the focus, iirc it was something to do with the sharpness of the focus at a certain distance, if you are doing only video and not much time lapse, I guess it won't be an issue.

Here is the 118 page discussion http://goprouser.freeforums.org/difference-in-focal-range-sharpness-hero3-blk-vs-plus-t14637.html about it, it looks like that gopro has fixed the issue with cameras out in the shops at the mo looking at that thread.

Haven't tried it skiing yet but will be using the chest mount.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can summarise the above linked thread for you.

Some of the early release HD3 Black Plus had their ideal focus point set (either intentionally or otherwise) about 2-3 feet and the further out from this the softer the image. For most uses of the gopro (ie selfie video or POV video of sports) this whilst not ideal was acceptable. There are a large number of people now using the gopro's from quadcopters and also for timelapse and still image capture. This is where the focus issue really showed up. Gopro have never, officially at least, admitted that there was a major problem but anyone not happy can get their camera RMA'd. Any new stock coming out now should have already been through this process so should be focussing at infinity much better than the original batch.

In addition there are 2 other documented problems.

1. The JPEG quality was set to 93 as opposed to the previous models where it was set to 98. This causes a reduced quality still image which exacerbated the focus issue further. This has been resolved in the latest firmware (v.104)

2. It appears that some of the cameras have come out with a misaligned sensor which caused parts of the image (either video or still) to be severely out of focus (as with the focal point issue these can be RMA'd for resolution.

As for mounts there are lots of options, it just depends on exactly what and how you want to use it. Helmet or chest mounts are simple and generally provide a good point of view but don't rule out the different angles that other mounting options can provide. on the boom when sailing or windsurfing, rotor mounts or the extended back mounts which provide a view like this :-
http://youtube.com/v/vs0D8JeWaLg&sns=em
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you very much for the replies, pretty sure as and when I purchase that the problem will have been ironed out.

Jury is still out on whether to go for the full monty 3 plus black edition, @ circa £350 or silver at £240 ish......based on our usage, would the silver be fine, or would it be daft to compromise for the sake of £100??
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also love that back mount Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
neilkav, hobby mounts who posts on here will give you a discount and all his stock is fixed and doesn't have any issues...

http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
neilkav, The black version comes with a remote control too, this alone is worth £70.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For helmet mounts and cycling I prefer the contour format - take a look, good prices as they are currently in administration (due to resurface in January). Go pro on helmet is very bulky...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B009CN8VRU/sr=1-1/qid=1387558087/ref=olp_tab_all?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&me=&qid=1387558087&seller=&sr=1-1&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a.j., The HD3 Black plus is smaller and is actually slightly lighter than the contour but agree the form factor doesn't please everyone, It does however offer the best image quality and more mounting options than anything else.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know, I'm just doing my bit to help my preferred brand back out of the depths snowHead gopro is so dominant no one seems to even bother thinking of anything else! We do have both in my group, but I just can't love the go pros on a helmet, even in the new lighter/smaller versions. I'll admit they work better on boards/chest mount and free hand, but for dedicated helmet cam the contour is just neater and it comes in pretty colours so I can coordinate my outfit Razz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd agree for a dedicated helmet cam the bullet form factor is better. And incidentally you can get the gopro housing in whatever colour you like, you just have to ask gopro nicely. Failing that a neoprene cover, which will also improve the somewhat meagre battery life.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you considered the drift ghost S (new version out a couple of weeks ago)? Just interested because I was about to buy a GoPro Hero3/black.. but think i might go for the former instead.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What amazes me most about the Go Pro is that 10 years ago, no teen/early 20's would have been seen dead with one of those things sticking out of the top of their head. "UN-COOOOL!!!"
And yet, the last few years have seen a complete acceptance of it as 'normal', even 'desirable'.

I don't think it's any coincidence that the timing of its adoption coincides with the 'maturing' of the first of the Telly-Tubby generation, demonstrating that if you wish to implant a new notion into society, no matter how ridiculous that notion, U simply need to present it repeatedly, graphically, in bright colours at a pre-school age.

eh-oh, Go Po!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow, so thanks guys for giving me even more of a choice headache Smile Smile Smile

The contour and the drift s both look super impressive too, tbh I dont think there's much between them.......maybe form factor will make the choice.

Hmmm more research methinks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guys, Just bought a new silver edition and downloaded the app to control. Excuse my complete ignorance of such technological matters and I should have asked this when purchasing but is the WiFi connection from camera to phone direct and will therefore work anywhere regardless of whether there is a general WiFi signal?

My other question is about Micro SD cards and which brands work the best with it? The Go Pro site goes into detail for the black edition but just a general comment for the silver and below. The chap who sold me it devised me not to get a 64 Gb one as it can cause issues and it would be better to get two 32 Gb, make any sense to anyone?

Probably also a daft question but I want to get the ones with the adapter so that I can easily upload to iPad for some in resort editing. It seems to add another few quid if you buy cards with adaptors and as I already have adapters for smaller 8 Gb cards will they work ok? I'm presuming the adapter is just that and doesn't have to be specific to the card memory size?
latest report
robboj, yes the Wifi is between the phone and the camera and will work anywhere.

Other people are more knowledgable about SD cards but there are several threads with info on the cards in this forum.

The adaptor (card reader?) will work fine.
latest report
meh, Thanks for your help, I suspect I didn't go back far enough in my search, will try again.
snow conditions
How is an adapter going to help you do in resort editing though?
snow report
I use 32gb micro SD cards on my GoPro's: never had problem. Battery will run out before the card. I get my cards from DogCamsport, Integral Class 10 I think, come with adapter anyway. Not bothered about saving pennies - not having the camera work when out skiing is far more important....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy