Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poles: Wrist straps etc

Poster: A snowHead
The ever nervous making http://www.ski-injury.com/ website has a specific section about Thumb injuries caused by a fall with wrists in wrist straps, and advises skiing not using the straps, unless losing a pole would be more dangerous than the risk of a broken thumb.
It says
Quote:
No question though that a grade 2-3 UCL injury is more disabling than a grade 1-2 MCL injury of the knee.
yet I have not heard much here, or with my non-SH friends about it, and as far as i know they all ski with hands in the straps.

What do YOU do?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Straps every time, however I think people thread their wrist through the straps in different ways, this might have an effect in injuries I guess
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have seen many many holiday skiers thread their hands through the straps incorrectly thus increasing the risk of injury.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I never ski with hands in straps, not sure why you would bother. My poles do have safety clips that will split if you fall.

It is probably a good idea to wear some good gloves when skiing - my thumb has bits of titanium in it after I fell walking on ice - If I had been wearing ski gloves it would have mitagated the injury I think. A thumb will surprisngly still work with a broken UCL but will have no power - this is why it can be misdiagnosed but as the website says a surgical repair is essential.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On-piste, definitely hands OUT! Have done the torn UCL injury and it wasn't pleasant, although it didn't stop me ski-ing. Fortunately it was pretty warm so I could get away with thin stretchy gloves over the plaster cast, although hanging on to drag lifts was a bit of challenge. Hand was supposed to be in plaster for 4 weeks but I had a concert to do (I'm a cellist) 3 weeks after I got back so the plaster came off after 2 weeks and I did obsessive things with a tennis ball for 2 weeks to try and get my hand back up to strength - was my right hand (bowing hand) so strength pretty vital - you'd be surprised how much. In fact, many of my playing friends have right hands that are noticeably bigger than their left. However, still needed a neoprene support and plenty of painkillers to get through the concert, and it was about a year before it stopped bothering me when playing my cello. Funnily enough, had a row with an Austrian ski instructor last year about the same thing. She spent a week of ski school telling me to put my straps round my hands, and I spent the week saying no, I'd rather lose my poles and spend £30 on a new pair. Gave up trying to explain why....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was always taught to have the hand pass up through the strap loop, then the strap forms a supprting platform for the wrist, as I grap the pole handle. Is this now considered incorrect?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I believe that snowbunny's description of strap use is correct and I guess that veeeight refers to people having loose straps flapping about their wrists.

On page 96 of his book, Wayne Watson of Alpine Experience discusses straps, basically he reccommends not to use them off piste as it is something more to trap you in an avalanche, also more likely to catch on trees and pull you over.

Nowadays I just hold my poles and ignore the straps when skiing. Except, when poling along a long road putting on straps means I can relax my hand and push with wrist against strap.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, that is considered "the way" to wear your straps. Whether you wear them or not is personal choice. I do. I was skiing with an US ex-mogul team member who wouldn't use the straps on her poles as she once broke her thumb, she hadn't used them for over 10 years. After half a day skiing with me she started wearing them, I saw her wearing them for the rest of her weeks holiday too.

She skied lots of off-piste with me and could easily keep up (sorry should said she stopped racing to start a family, two kids and not *huge* amounts of skiing later) but as her technique was rusty she fell a few times and after the 2nd time of me fetching her pole for her she had to start walking back up the hill to get them (nobody else around). She exhasted herself by the end of the day and decided that it was slightly worth the risk...

On a 'connected' topic anyone used the Leki click in system?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yepp, I had this very injury in Feb (Along with a broken/dislocated shoulder!) and it still gives me hassle. Just last night I was playing badminton and went to balance myself, and my thumb took some weight and BANG! pain for two hours where the tendons were just not happy again Sad Because I cycle race regularly its always getting stressed when braking or descending, and just isnt 100% since the accident.

It was caused by the strap on my poles, so first thing I did when I took my poles out a couple of weeks ago was remove the straps and store them. I would rather spend 30 euros than have this hassle again!

ScottyDog
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never use straps for the reasons Adrian refers to
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I never use straps as I was taught years ago it was possibly unsafe in a fall. Partly my dry ski heritage as well - it's easier for it to all go horribly wrong on the dendex (pole caught etc) and of course there's nowhere for the pole to GO on your average dry slope and there's never any bother skiing without poles to the bottom - so losing them isn't an issue either.

aj xx
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I never ski with hands in straps, not sure why you would bother.

Unless you are exceptionally good, it is not possible to achive a consitently effective pole plant in all conditions and terrain without use of the pole straps.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I broke both thumbs (once riding, once skiing) in childhood and I have never had any problem with the straps on my sticks. I agree with veeeight that you get a much better pole-plant with the straps on and tight enough to support the hand. If you watch Bode Miller, it appears that the modern method is to not use your sticks at all but I come from a generation that idolised Ingemar Stenmark and he often used a double pole-plant!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight wrote:
Quote:

I never ski with hands in straps, not sure why you would bother.

Unless you are exceptionally good, it is not possible to achive a consitently effective pole plant in all conditions and terrain without use of the pole straps.

not sure i'd agree with that, but maybe i'm exceptionally good wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gordyjh, for DH sure. I advocate less pole planting than in days gone by but a good pole plant technique is still fundamental to being a rounded skier.
ski holidays
Had a few different views. The hardcore backcountry guide I did my avalanche course with is of the never have your straps on (and set your bindings on a low setting) so you can ditch as much as possible as quickly as possible if you get caught in an avalanche, on the basis that they provide anchors to drag you deeper into the snow where the chance of being found/surviving goes down dramatically.
On the other hand some freesking coaches have told me always to use the straps - not quite sure why, guess it's because on the steeps it's pretty hard to go back and get your pole.
snow report
I think I am going to experiment not using my straps, at least on piste...

I have planted a pole between my skis before Shock

As a side note, what do you look for in a pole? I am thinking that lightness is probably the over riding factor... though obv something that won't snap at the 1st turn would be nice!
snow report
Always use straps and use them up through the hand rather than over the thumb which is just stupid. You are asking for the shock to go through your thumb and guess what gets injured...!! Off-piste it is a call between losing the pole which could be a HUGE hassle or geting caught in an avalanche. Same with the ski bindings, too loose and you could lose the ski. On balance I would say a fall is much more likley than an avalanche so would plan around that. Those are the calculated risks with going off-piste.

Generally you can/will get a better plant with a supporting strap. On-piste you can use the Leki/Goode system where you don't need the strap support but it is too much hassle to have to bother with different gloves for on/off-piste.
snow report
Quote:

I have planted a pole between my skis before

I've done something similar to that too Embarassed while learning to plant properly. I had my hands in the straps correctly and ended up as a big pile on the floor. Perhaps if I wasn't using the straps, I would have just skied over the pole and been fine Puzzled
latest report
I'm surprised no one else in this thread apart from scottydog has mentioned shoulder injuries from pole accidents. A friend dislocated his shoulder from a pole accident the other year.

Meanwhile my shoulder simply got a good wrench last season from stabbing a sticky mogul which didn't give me my pole back quite as quickly as I'd have liked.

However, I still go thru phases of wearing straps and not wearing them since I 'think' I'm going to drop the poles if they aren't attached for some reason, not that I have ever dropped them, with or without the straps on.

Puzzled
snow report
Quote:

If you watch Bode Miller, it appears that the modern method is to not use your sticks at all

For DH, SG and GS - it's more of a pole-tip touch. Watch the SL carefully. Strong pole plants are utilised. As for bumps - I don't think you will find many effective bump skiers without pole plants.

Quote:

not sure i'd agree with that, but maybe i'm exceptionally good

In steeper terrain you need to get torque from an oblique pole plant, otherwise something else will start happening in order to execute a turn. Like shoulder or hip rotation.

Watching anyone skiing short radius turns on the steeps without an effective pole plant is just plain cringeworthy. Unless they have an exceptionally strong core to keep the upper body quiet.
snow report
veeeight, i certainly agree that effective pole planting is a very good thing on steep slopes. i am not so sure that you need to have your hand in the loop in order to execute an effective pole plant

i have attempted to ski a couloir with only one and a half poles (snapped one - long story) and it took a lot of getting used to!
snow report
Quote:

i am not so sure that you need to have your hand in the loop in order to execute an effective pole plant

I guess this is one of those debates that will run on........

If you are exerting the correct and required amount of force and torque from the pole plant for the conditions/terrain - having the strap in the correct position will aid you: More torque can be exerted, less tiring on the fingers as you are using the whole hand/palm to exert this force.

Also. In short radius turns and SL - having the strap pivot point at the top of the hand will aid the pole swing whilst retaining grip on the shaft grip.
snow conditions
veeeight, i'm not going to debate this because (without wishing to blow my own trumpet unduly) i am pretty good at steeps; i don't think too hard about my pole plants and the last thing i want to do is start overanalysing them!
snow conditions
No problems!

More relevant and interesting info here for anyone else!

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=4342
latest report
My "Goode"s have straps that will release if the stick gets caught anywhere. Apparently. Still de-strap in trees (when I remember).
snow report
I have a pair of poles with "quick release" straps......perfect solution.
snow report
The Leki system's been mentioned once or twice: is it any better (or any worse) than a "standard" strap...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leki Trigger - Brilliant.

Pros:

The strap stays on your glove.

The system plugs into the pole grip.

It will release if caught in say trees

Cons:

The mechanism can occasionally freeze up

You can't hang your poles up as there are no straps
ski holidays
So they were a worthwhile purchase then...tah
snow report
The point about avalanches is a good one and if I felt at risk I might not use straps (and undo the waist strap/chest strap on my pack etc). That said, on steep firm snow I would always use my straps - if you lose both skis, a pole can be crucial for self-arrest. Personally, I don't feel that my thumbs are threatened by using straps properly (up through the straps).
ski holidays
There is an argument for keeping a lighty packed rucksack with you in an avalanche. With the pac your total weight::volume ratio is reduced and so you might float higher up in moving snow. Without the pack you lose lots of volume but not much weight and so could sink deeper.

In my many off piste falls I do not recall losing a pole. I keep hold of them. Occasionally I fall and land on my pole and on such occasions I can just let it go and then stand up. If I had the straps around my wrist I would have lots more effort to move my body enough to be able to untangle wrist from straps.
snow report
I got caught out planting a pole in a soft mogul and dislocated my elbow as a result, I don't use straps any more!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy