Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble Airport to Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

First time post here on Snowheads although I have been a long time lurker and found it to be of great use.

I'm after some advice, myself and 7 friends will be traveling from Grenoble to Meribel in January and have hired a minibus. I've driven in the area a few years ago but some up to date advice on the below would be greatly received.

Best route
Snow chains hire/buy?
French requirements of items to keep in the vehicle
Tolls
Anything else I may have missed

Cheers,

Stu
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am assuming you mean Grenoble airport - which is some distance from Grenoble (so directions only apply from airport)
D119 out of the airport direction Chambery. Join A48 towards Chambery and then A43 Chambery to Albertville then Moutiers - follow local signage to Meribel.
Are you renting the vehicle - if so pay for the winterisation pack which will include chains. If its a French renter it will have all the kit. Tolls about 20 each way and should tale about 2 hours
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes renting from French renter at the airport so will look into the winterisation pack.

Thanks for the route advice, Google maps was suggesting the quickest route was south through Grenoble so I'm glad I asked.

Counting down the days now!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stusno, You need breathalizers. You can get them in Halfords and places like that. A pack of 2 cost £5.99. Note: you don't have to use them, and you still are not allowed to drive if you are off your face regardless of what the results of using one was. All the law says is that you have to HAVE them. You also need to have a hi-viz vest for each person in the vehicle. Those and the warning triangle must be available from within the vehicle with no need to get out and dig them out of the back etc. (so if you do break down you get out of the vehicle with the hi-viz on I suppose). You will get a warning triangle and at least one hi-viz with the vehicle, I would check, but no car I have hired has a stack of them corresponding to the number of seats!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the breathalyser requirement has effectively been dropped - no need for them.

don't forget both parts of your driving licence - just the photocard won't do. You might find that the full winterisation pack, with snow tyres, will add a lot to cost. You can manage with just chains provided you are able and willing to put them on at the first sign of trouble. Don't wait till you grind to a halt in a stream of traffic. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy