Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Advice - snow chains etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there …. (please point me in the direction of the appropriate thread if this has already been discussed elsewhere …)

We driving to ski for the first time on Boxing Day (to Albertville then on to Villa Roger where we'll be staying with Mountain Sun for Les Arc).

In particular I want advice on what snow chains to get, but any other advice for the trip appreciated too Happy
Guess I'd better get a red triangle and do something with the headlights for France, and get in spare bulbs.

Right, better go and book the Eurotunnel!

Cheers …. Simon.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.snowchains.com/winter-driving-accessories/travel-kit-bundle-1?ts=0

http://www.snowchains.com/car-snow-chains/polar-9mm?ts=0

should help
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
simonx, This is the most recent thread on the same subject. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2387265&highlight=driving#2387265
There are plenty more simply put the word driving into the forum search facility top left!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have Weissenfels "click clack" - dead easy to put on, not the cheapest though, but you still need to practice before you go. What size do you need - lots of people including us have a garage full of chains which fitted their last car(s)! Take a torch & gloves.

You must carry a breathalyser kit (Halfords sell them, or a French supermarket), reflective jackets stored in the cab not the boot, one for each person travelling, and one of those folding shovels is also handy if you get snowed in. We are naughty and don't bother with the headlight things.
Do not speed on the entrance to toll booths. You'll get fined. Also the speed limit is 130 kph in fine weather but 110 in wet on the Autoroute.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simonx, oh yes if you want to spend some extra get a tele peage tag, (A credit card is just as easy if you have a competent font seat passenger)
https://www.saneftolling.co.uk
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

You must carry a breathalyser kit (Halfords sell them, or a French supermarket), reflective jackets stored in the cab not the boot, one for each person travelling

no, don't need a breathalyser. That's been shelved for the moment. And by law in France you only need a high vis jacket for the driver - though if two of you fit snowchains simultaneously in the dark, two are a good idea.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I bow to your superior knowledge. Apologies for getting it wrong. Blush
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, Looks like we are both right.. Laughing AA website

Several changes have been made to motoring laws in France in support of the International Decade on Road Safety though two new laws have subsequently been either abolished or postponed indefinitely

January 2013 - Drivers in France have been required to carry a self-test breathalyser since July 2012 with enforcement by fines originally planned for 1 November but subsequently postponed to 1 March 2013. Now the French government has announced that the implementation of the sanction (fine) for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow chains - get the best you can afford, Thule are good and shop around online for them. Don't even look at the cheap £30 ones they are a complete waste of money. We use snow chains a lot where we live as we are up quite high on a hill and our roads don't get cleared. Thule chains have never let us down but the cheap ones have - they slip off, don't work, snap etc etc. You definitely want to practice putting them on and off, only takes a minute or two once you have the knack. The better chains are also easier to put on and take off. Carry something to kneel on, some thin gloves and a head torch. You need those three things to make putting them on a more pleasant experience in the dark / cold / wet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent advice thanks!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For prepping the car check out the caa website that's the Canadian auto association.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks all - really tricky decision
This is possibly a one-off trip, (possibly might repeat next year etc. but will never be more than once a year - so reluctant to splash out, tempted by snow socks but the Autosock claim that theirs are accepted in France by the gendarme doesn't seem to be backed up anywhere else online.

Add if it's chains then the easier to fit one are out of budget! Could hire I guess but might be money down the drain if in same position next year … aargh!

Any further guidance appreciated > Puzzled
Anyone any experience of the Autosocks being accepted by the gendarme?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They're not that expensive, especially if you have smaller wheels and/or buy in France. You could always get some on the way if the forecast looks dodgy on the journey out. If you don't buy any though you run a bit of a risk on the way back Toofy Grin

I've 2 unused pairs in the garage, need to buy yet another pair now with a change of car Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
there's a thought Claude.
We're staying relatively low down in Villaroger - about 1100m I think.
Are they easy to buy at service stations etc in France?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't know if it's been mentioned before but as of today, Lidl stores are stocking snow chains for £20 per pair. I picked up mine this morning and although I haven't yet had a trial run to put them on my car, they look very similar to a set I successfully used on a trip to Flaine in 2006. As other posters have mentioned the key is definitely to practice before you go.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-2AF85E66-FE268FD9/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=7632

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 25-11-13 22:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Add if it's chains then the easier to fit one are out of budget!

you have to have chains anyway. Get the cheap ones, but do practice putting them on. A couple of times ( a good argument for getting them here, not dashing off the motorway three-quarters of the way through France). It's not rocket science - I can do it and I am an old age pensioner with arthritic hands. I agree it's hard to decide what to do for the best.
snow conditions
Toofy Grin and practice at twilight with no torch whilst it's sleeting, 'cos sods law dictates that's when you'll be needing to put them on!
snow conditions
Snow socks apparently work well, but I think the French gendarmes would disagree. We should have a snow chain swap shop, we have some chains we are not using too....
ski holidays
snowyowl,
Quote:
Snow socks apparently work well, but I think the French gendarmes would disagree

Why do you think that? I've used Weiss socks from Weissenfels in France without any hassle from the Gendarmes and they're not the 'approved' ones. There are loads of cars around the Alps using various brands of socks. IME the Gendarmes are very practical - if your car's moving and not holding up other traffic they won't give a toss whether you're using chains or socks or what brand they are.

simonx, you'll be pretty unlucky if you need chains/socks at 1100m on any of the main roads. Just depends if the place you're going to is on an unswept road. If you buy socks and don't use them they will exchange them later if you change wheel size. They are a LOT less hassle to put on than chains. http://www.snowchains.co.uk/snowchains/Weissenfels+WeissSock+Snowsock/
snow conditions
snowyowl wrote:
Snow socks apparently work well, but I think the French gendarmes would disagree. We should have a snow chain swap shop, we have some chains we are not using too....

+1 for a swop shop. We have chains to spare too and need new ones this year. Currently have hubby on ebay looking!
snow report
Quote:

and practice at twilight with no torch whilst it's sleeting,

in a lay-by with 20 cms of badly churned up snow where you have to make a choice between pulling just off the road and having the other vehicles passing so close they are spraying you with brown slush or pulling further off the road and taking the risk that you'll never get out of there. A kids beach spade for clearing the crud from round the wheels is a good idea.
ski holidays
Snow chains will exchange chains for different sizes also, used that deal with them when I've changed cars in the past. Always bought the Weissenfells Clack n' Go chains, really easy to put on and self adjusting so you don't have to stop and re-tension. Since having a 4WD car and winter tyres I've never had to even get them out of the boot, but got to carry them anyway. French plod have stopped me a couple of times at a snow chain checkpoint when it was dumping with snow, looked at the snowflake on the tyres and the car being a Subaru and they've just waived me on my way.
snow conditions
Spyderman, How does the snow chains exchange work? I have a new unused set bought in France which are not exactly ideal for our 4x4. We did not have to use them as the car is very impressive without but we do want to get different ones for this year, as you say you are obliged to carry them anyway. I would guess you have to have bought the first set from Snow Chains?
latest report
CaravanSkier, you have to buy them from Snowchains to get the exchange deal in the future. They still give you something even if they've been used.
ski holidays
Thats still worth knowing Spyderman, thank you
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
...and practice at twilight with no torch...

...while wearing a thong Wink
latest report
simonx wrote:
there's a thought Claude.
We're staying relatively low down in Villaroger - about 1100m I think.
Are they easy to buy at service stations etc in France?

NO! buy them before you leave. service stations are few and far between and will sell out very quickly if it snows and driving in snow is one of the most stressful things in the world!
ski holidays
simonx, What size are your wheels and where-ish in the world are you? I bet there's someone reading this who will sell you a used/unwanted set...

+1 for get them before you go, and practice!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Probably not the best in the world, but snowchains arrived at Lidl yesterday for just £19.95 a set.
snow report
Don't forget to increase the concentration of winter screen wash to prevent it freezing
snow report
Last year Lidl had screen wash that was claimed to be good to -60 (can't remember F/C but at that temperature it won't matter much).
snow conditions
I have stayed in Villaroger a few times and the road up is north (ish) facing and well shaded. If it's not been cleared / gritted, you really shouldn't risk not having chains / socks.
snow report
will try Lidl tomorrow …. was going to tonight but trains home (from London) massively screwed up …. not sure wheel size - 'tis an Audi A4 Avant 2008 in case anyone has suitable chains!

EDIT: Just checked tyres, they say 235/40 18 95Y whatever that means.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 30-11-13 12:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
simonx, check in your handbook to make sure that you can fit chains to your rims/tyres, especially as they're 18" rims with 40 section sidewalls.

You might need a very low profile chain or something like Spikespider in order to give clearance.
snow report
I bought the biggest size that Lidl do - 100 in their terminology. But you size is not listed in the tyre sizes for their 100 size....and I'm sure yours won't be the smaller ones, so think you may be out of luck at Lidl
snow report
just checked handbook, this is what it says,
"For technical reasons snow chains may only be used on tyres with certain wheel rim/tyre combinations.

Rim size 7Jx 16
Rim offset 42mm
Tyre size 205/55

Only use snow chains with FINE-PITCH LINKS. The links must not protrude more than 15mm from the tyres (including tensioner).
"

hmm, seems to be saying can't use snow chains with my tyres (details above) ….

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 26-11-13 23:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
simonx, talk to Snowchains, they probably have a solution for you.
snow conditions
I popped into Lidl this morning. They had loads of 70/80/90 sizes and one pair of 100's which are the biggest. The label doesn't show my 215/60/R17 size though Sad Shame, they looked OK for the money.
latest report
Thanks Spyderman …. their website suggests these ….http://www.snowchains.co.uk/snow-chains-fit-guide/products/?tyreSize=235/40x18&m=tg&id=489

Not sure what the handbook is saying, seems like I should be able to find some, though unfortunately doesn't sound like a trip to Lidl would be worthwhile.
snow report
simonx, No, it'd going to cost I'm afraid, alternative is buy a set of smaller rims off Fleabay and a set of larger sidewall profile winter tyres, the tyres will be cheaper and you won't knacker your rims with chains, plus a narrower deeper sidewall winter tyre will perform better
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy