Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Not a very exciting subject, I know, but my Ami Chaud goretex gloves are getting a bit the worse for wear after 10 years or so. Does anyone have any recommendations for warm gloves at a sensible price? e.g. Cotswold have Salomon & 'Extremities' (who?) GTX gloves at £40....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know that Ellis Brigham has a decent range this year and you should get something pretty nifty for £40. They have some decent-looking Salomon and Dakine gloves which I think are within that price range. If I were you, I'd go for something with a leather rather than rubberised palm, and many people also recommend anything that comes with a removable inner.

If you want to be extravagant (as I was), I would suggest something like the Hestra Alpine Pro - Goretex XCR with leather (goat skin I think) palms. But not cheap at about 75 quid! These are also stocked by Ellis Brigham.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
caughtanedge, Welcome to snowHead . You should be able to get Gore-tex for around £40. EB or S&R are both worth checking out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome caughtanedge,

I always use leather on the fingers/thumbs and palms but it does get a bit wet and can be a problem if your edges cut the thumb.
It that respect you can only get them repaired via glueing which may or may not work. I have just had this done so I will find out this season. Leather gloves tend to be a bit more expensive and I avoid drying mine too quick over a direct heat source so this might mean you need two pair..!!

Hestra are as good as any IMO...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
caughtanedge, Ami Chaud gloves are quality: I still have my first pair, still going strong. Leather palms, totally breathable, totally waterproof, never smell.

I didn't think you could get them anymore, until I found:

http://www.foxsoutdoor.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=105&products_id=1002

Good shop, Foxs, nowhere near you unf. I wouldn't buy gloves without trying them on first, but if you want to take the risk they do mail order.

Welcome to Snowheads.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
caughtanedge, welcome to snowHeads, I too used to use Ami Chaud gloves but I've now switched to Level ones which are fantastic have a look at their site here Mine are like the X-MULTY WS with a breathable outer glove with leather palm and a windstopper goretex inner glove, in February I tend to start off in the morning with both inner and outer gloves on but if it warms up in the afternoon I put the outers in my pack, I've had them for two years now and there's no sign of wear or damage making them well worth the money I paid for them which I think was over £50
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
caughtanedge, how rude of me. WELCOME! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am contemplating Black Diamond Patrols. Waterproof leather, thinsulate, etc. I'm quite fussy about my gloves...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Phoenix Spirit Goretex gloves got the top review from the Daily Mail Ski Mag, £50 from S&R. BUT... I just found some in TK Maxx in Bournemouth for £35 - bargain! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ami Chaud usually for sale at out local Ski and Board warehouse www.skiwear4less.co.uk , but none advertised on here.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
caughtanedge, 'Extremities' is one of the trading names of a company with more recognisable names such as Terra Nova. If your into camping you will know that they're well known for top quality gear and it's made in The Peaks so it must be good.

I've a pair of their gloves and they're great. For really cold days I have a pair of Tog 24 mittens - also quality gear and also made in the chilly North. Buy British!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I got some Black Diamond Stratos gloves in the end of season sales last year, which seem very warm (not used them on the slope yet!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Which ladies gloves do you recommend?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
...warm, but without being too bulky.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
erica2004, if you have cold hands, (as apparently girls suffer more than blokes, a circulation thing I understand?) you might want to try Hestra mittens? Or Half mittens?
ski holidays
The hestras certainly are warm! Ive given mine a quick run in the latest cold weather and my hands were probably TOO warm
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy