Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

POLARTEC fleece - best fleece?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone.
snowboarder here, so apologies in advance Happy
I use the Patagonia Capilene zip-neck as a first layer. Then Patagonia R1 above the the first layer. And have a slightly insulated Goretex jacket (Peak Performance).I keep in the bag the Patagonia R3 for when it's really cold. (I am considering moving to something hybrid like the Arcteryx Proton or Patagonia Nano Air+shell, but that's another story).
However I am thinking of buying a fleece, lighter than R3, but useful as additional layer. And I am torn between a classic Polartec 100 (the basic fleece you all know, it seems just The North Face still makes it plain and simple) or something more technical and breathable like the grid system. I am thinking the Patagonia R2 is perhaps the missing item, but have also seen the Polartec Power stretch (like for example Acteryx Kyanite).
What would you recommend? basic fleece or more technical? Would the basic fleece Polartec 100 be warmer but not breathable? I plan to start snowshoes+snowboard this year, and perhaps moving to splitboard next year. So plan to be active use and start&stop.

thanks a lot in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your present layering (Capilene, Patagonia R1, Goretex) is very close to what the bloke in this video wears, so you might be interested in the extra layers that he carries...

http://youtube.com/v/X-g4Y7UussQ

The 100gsm Patagonia Micropuff Gilet that he recommends in the video is no longer available, but the Snugpak SV3 gilet is very similar ( and available in none military colours if you search around).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the warmth to weight and wicking ability of grid-style stretch fleeces is brilliant.
I've got a ME Eclipse hoody that I love but these are brilliant VFM:
https://www.alpkit.com/products/griffon-hoody-mens
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oceanic wrote:
Your present layering (Capilene, Patagonia R1, Goretex) is very close to what the bloke in this video wears, so you might be interested in the extra layers that he carries...

http://youtube.com/v/X-g4Y7UussQ

The 100gsm Patagonia Micropuff Gilet that he recommends in the video is no longer available, but the Snugpak SV3 gilet is very similar ( and available in none military colours if you search around).

thanks a lot Oceanic.
I had seen people adding a puff ON TOP of a shell, and was surprised. I can understand you dont want to remove your shell so not to waste all your body heat, but what's the point of adding a puff over the shell? does it really add any warmth? also i guess if the shell is covered by snow, wet, dirt, then you make the puff not reusable when you want to use it under the shell?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lorcar wrote:
what's the point of adding a puff over the shell? does it really add any warmth? also i guess if the shell is covered by snow, wet, dirt, then you make the puff not reusable when you want to use it under the shell?

Yes it adds loads of warmth. Much easier to get on and off than putting under shell. Perfect for first chairlift after stopping for lunch. Long cold lift in the shade at the end of the day, or just super cold conditions when you can’t get warm. If it’s snowing it won’t get wet; if the snow is wet it means it’s warm and you don’t need a puffer; if it’s getting dirty stop rolling on the floor.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH wrote:
lorcar wrote:
what's the point of adding a puff over the shell? does it really add any warmth? also i guess if the shell is covered by snow, wet, dirt, then you make the puff not reusable when you want to use it under the shell?

Yes it adds loads of warmth. Much easier to get on and off than putting under shell. Perfect for first chairlift after stopping for lunch. Long cold lift in the shade at the end of the day, or just super cold conditions when you can’t get warm. If it’s snowing it won’t get wet; if the snow is wet it means it’s warm and you don’t need a puffer; if it’s getting dirty stop rolling on the floor.

It would have to be quite large though wouldn’t it? I don’t like having clothing that only gets used for skiing (apart from ski socks).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Themasterpiece wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Yes it adds loads of warmth. Much easier to get on and off than putting under shell.

It would have to be quite large though wouldn’t it? I don’t like having clothing that only gets used for skiing (apart from ski socks).

A synthetic gilet worn over the shell is my favourite, but a gilet worn under the shell can work well too. My wife often wears a Patagonia R1 and an Ortovox Swisswool gilet under a Goretex jacket.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As he said, people carry them for (a) lunch; and (b) emergencies. They wear them over the shell so you don't need to faff or get colder before you get warmer. They have to be large for that reason.

I don't like using snowboard gear for other activities: each to their own wink

On the OP, this probably isn't the best place for fashion advice other than on cardigans... However I would get a variety of different stuff from a variety of brands, unless you're sponsored, or you risk looking like a fanboi. It's pretty much all the same, but having a variety works best because you can tune it more precisely.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
lorcar wrote:

This.

Other thing to remember about a warm layer like this is that it is often most useful when you stop moving. It's ideal to be able to throw it on when you stop for lunch outside or have a long chairlift ride then pull it off when you start exercising. Much easier if it is on top.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Example: Sweating like a pig on the up....

Extra layer on faffing around taking off skins in the cold and ready for the down...

Ps most important is that it’s green snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wear whichever baselayer is on the top of the pile (mostly from TK Maxx) and put my lightly insulated Columbia 60g jacket over that.
If it's cold (January) I'll pull out a thicker baselayer.
If it's really really cold I'll add a lightweight Regatta or Trespass fleece.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy