Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accommodation finding help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - I've got flights to Chambery in a couple of weeks and looking for some ideas as to where to search for accommodation.

We're a family of four, kids will be 12 and 13 - haven't been to snow this side of the world since the days of First Choice, so it's a bit different searching!

Ideally, would love a catered chalet, but open to any suggestions - literally only have flights, so can go anywhere close'ish to Chambery (2 - 3 hours?) and will work out how to get there once I know where!

Thanks so much for any help - I have been googling but so far the cheapest I could find was £15,000!

Thanks!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 bed apartment 0.3miles from chambery centre.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/insolite-46.en-gb.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SnowBear22, what dates?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SnowBear22, welcome to SH's

A "couple of weeks" is news year day which is probably not what you meant. As per @sugarmoma666, what dates exactly?

If it's new year week i.e., 30th Dec to 6th Jan it will be expensive as that is one of the peak weeks of the season and will be heavily booked up.

Catered chalets aren't as prolific as they once were.

From Chambery all the Tarentaise resorts are close by - have you been to any of those before?

If going for self catering accommodation you can use the tourist information websites/offices or the likes of Sunweb and Snowtrex websites.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi all- thanks for the help!
Yes, arriving 30 Dec for 7 nights Happy

Thanks again!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnowBear22, good luck with this one, one of, if not, the busiest weeks of the season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SnowBear22, If I got to La Plagne booking there are 21 apartments for 4 people available for those dates with prices starting at 669 Euros so not too bad:

https://www.laplagneresort.com/serp?type=appartChalet_en&s_c.type_hebergement=appartement,chalet,gite&s_dd=30&s_dmy=12/2023&s_aj=0&s_minMan=7,7&s_dpci=XXX&lang=en_US&s_st=base_price

Crystal have half board options from around £950pp.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
try posting a request for a catered chalet in the solutions room - chalets direct
Alpine answers usually have a good selection of chalets
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SnowBear22,
Le Ski use Chambery airport - try them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all - appreciate the thoughts and the good luck!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We’re flying into Chambery. Big family trip and opted for Montgenevre. It’s a new resort for us and getting minibuses to transfer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Gufo- will take a look there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dippy wrote:
try posting a request for a catered chalet in the solutions room - chalets direct
Alpine answers usually have a good selection of chalets

Hi Dippy - I’ve had a look and don’t see where you mean (sorry, I’m new!).

Could you pls let me know where to find it?

Thanks so much!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SnowBear22, it's a different website/forum

https://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/category-view.asp
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ahhhh- thanks so much Layne - will get onto that tomorrow Happy
ski holidays
+1 to Sunweb suggestion. You may be lucky and find a cancellation but for that peak week I would be amazed if you get a catered chalet, to be honest these seem far less prevalent than before, combination of working time regulation being more enforced and then Brexit gift, that keeps giving has nigh on destroyed the ones you used to get from the tour operators.
There are ones around. However finding either a hotel or apartment maybe possible. Their prices include a lift pass.

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/france/les-trois-vallees/val-thorens/val-thorens/hotel-bel-horizon?Participants%5B0%5D%5B0%5D=1993-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B1%5D=1993-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B2%5D=1993-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B3%5D=1993-03-20&Duration%5B0%5D=8&DurationsRanges=8-8&Mealplan=HP&Month=2023-12-01&TransportType=SelfDrive
ski holidays
Thanks all for the thoughts - really appreciate it and now onto them all!
ski holidays
apologies I dont know how to post a link!
ski holidays
Wow, love your spirit of reckless abandon - flights all sorted and only now looking for NY accommodation 2 weeks out. Genuinely hope it works out for you, but that's way outside my risk appetite!
snow report
@Dippy, just copy and paste the link into your post

https://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/category-view.asp
snow report
@holidayloverxx, thank you! - obvious really when you think about it!
latest report
Did you find anywhere? If you are happy to self cater then there still seems to be plenty of accomodation. La Rosiere might be a shout? weski.com is another site that bundles lift passes, and they seem to have some decent looking accomodation for that week.
snow report
Not decided on anywhere yet but, as you say, there are options so we'll get something somewhere! Love all the suggestions though - thank you all and checking every one.

It's just all changed from my day (getting old!!)
snow conditions
Finally decided on a place last night - two days before flying out Happy

Airbnb in La Clusaz- now to pray for snow!!
snow conditions
@SnowBear22, good to hear you booked somewhere. Are you hiring a car to get from Chambery?
ski holidays
Not sure yet Sugar - any suggestions?
ski holidays
@SnowBear22, I'd get a move on, just in case there are no cars left to hire.
ski holidays
Yes - Chambery airport is only little! And make sure they give you chains.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowBear22 wrote:

I suspect car hire or private transfer are your only options, both of which are likely to be expensive. I admire your relaxed attitude to booking flights without accommodation and then accommodation without knowing how you're going to get from the airport to the accommodation but I don't think my nerves (or wallet) would cope with that.
snow report
Car hire booked - seems the only way to get up there really from Chambery.
Any other tips?
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
SnowBear22 wrote:

I suspect car hire or private transfer are your only options, both of which are likely to be expensive. I admire your relaxed attitude to booking flights without accommodation and then accommodation without knowing how you're going to get from the airport to the accommodation but I don't think my nerves (or wallet) would cope with that.

Hehe - I think it's the Aussie way - pre-Covid, I spent my life travelling to weird and wonderful locations for work at zero notice, became second nature really!

Just now weighing up whether to take my 17 year old Burton-X (feels like yesterday I bought it!!) or whether to hire out there. I logged into Tui and don't have an option to add sports carriage for some reason.
snow report
TUI may no longer have any allocation for ski bags.

Congrats with organising car hire from Chambery airport. A friend is going half term and had trouble finding a car from the airport rather than town.

Personally when I DIY ski trips I consider the transfer options before flights or accommodation.
snow report
Wasn’t the cheapest car to be fair, but hey-ho and, yea, if we do this again (which I hope we will), we’ll try and get sorted a bit earlier - this trip was an unusual window when we could get to Europe at zero notice! And, yea, if we’ve missed the ski carriage slots then I guess it makes our decision to hire a bit easier!
Back in the day, I’d put everything into my board bag and book it on (two boards, boots, jackets, board pants…). Can you still get away with that?
Can’t wait - this time in 2 days..!!!
ski holidays
@SnowBear22, have you made it to resort. It sounds like Chambery hasn't been at its best today Crying or Very sad
latest report
Hi Sugar! Nope, what a day…
Plane didn’t make it to Glasgow last night, so didn’t get off at 6.50am as planned. Plane landed into Glasgow at about 10am, just in time for the snow!
Boarded at about 12.30/1pm - sat on the deck for about 3 hours before heading off.
Got close to Chambéry before diverting to Lyon - where we are still sitting on the plane!!
Been on this plane for about 6 hours so far Laughing
Oh well!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy