Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to buy rescue insurance for French ski stations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am an American and will be staying in Grenoble for 3 weeks starting mid February. Plan to ski a total of 10 days at the 6 local ski areas. Will use Skiligne and pick up the ski passes in Grenoble before getting on the bus. In the US, a ski patrol rescue does not cost anything, it is included in the lift ticket. I understand that is not true in France, and I'd like to have coverage in case I am injured and can't get down. I have been reading about Carte Neige, but confused by the requirement for EHIC and GHIC, which I clearly don't have. My medical insurance would cover any cost of any treatment, but not the rescue cost. What's the best approach that will work at Alpe d'Huez, Les 2 Alpes and the local stations - Les 7 Laux, Chamrousse, etcetera? Do I go to the ticket window when I arrive at the mountain and ask for insurance? Does insurance cover a helicopter rescue from Les 2 Alpes? Can you help? Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pfreet, it's called Carré Neige - and yes you just pay it at a lift pass office. And yes it covers any type of rescue including air/helicopter.

It covers the Savoie region including all the locations you mention I believe.

Don't worry about EHIC/GHIC - that is for Europeans - gives comparable free health care in different countries.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just buy the Carré Neige with your lift pass. It’s about €3 a day. Carte Neige is its big brother for the season. It will be noted on your lift pass and includes rescue and some medical treatment. It would include helo if the Pisteur deem it necessary.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiligne sells the pass only and you pick it up in Grenoble. They don't sell the Carré Neige which is why I asked about it. It would seem I can buy it separately at the ticket ffice?

By the way, the Grenoble mountains, including L2A and AdH are in Isere, not Savoie.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pfreet, If you were going to be skiing in Savoie or Haute Savoie then one idea would be to take the pass to a pass sales office when you arrived in the resort each day and get them to add insurance for that day, but you are going to be skiing in Isere. I don't see an option to add insurance to a Chamrousse pass, haven't checked the other resorts served by Skiligne.

Carré Neige is specific to Savoie. There seems to be an equivalent, at least for the Portes du Soleil, in Haute Savoie.

Carte Neige could work for you but it might help if you posted links to the pages you have been reading.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've not used them myself, so can't vouch, but Assurski might provide what you're looking for.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you buy that insurance separately from a pass you'll just need to keep the paper receipt with the pass. Buy it at the local lift pass where you are skiing, then you'll be sure of having the right one! It does get confusing. Have fun!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy