Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing and Barcelona

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I am new to this forum and came here seeking for some advice for a ski trip to combine with a visit to Barcelona. We South Africans and are travelling from SA so usually want to combine our skiing with a sight seeing trip as well. We are interested in combining our ski trip with a visit to Barcelona around March 2014 but I am very confused as to where to go skiing which is relatively "close" to Barcelona. I thought to do a French resort, but am so confused about where to go. Seeing as we only do this once a year we need to get it right as it is very expensive coming from SA. Can anybody suggest anything that would work out for us - we are intermediate skiiers, love some apre-ski and will be taking a train from the resort to Barcelona. We love Austrian skiing in the Alps (loved Obergurgl, Solden, Ischgl etc) and also enjoyed Selva val Gardena in Italy. We don't want too expensive as we are paying in ZAR -exchange rate isn't so good Sad and would also prefer self catering chalets with 2 or 3 bedrooms.

Any suggestions or just a starting point of some possible resorts in France (or anywhere else) would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well Skiing and Barcelona are not two words that normally go together but there are a reasonable amount of options. First there is the geography of the Mediterranean, Barcelona is on Spains Upper East coast, the alps are on Frances/Italys South coast but the ski resorts are much more inland. Getting from Barcelona to the Alps would take ages my friend, approx. 900 miles and 2 days long. If you really want to go to the alps that bad then there are areas like Alpe D'huez, Chamrousse and Les Deux Aples that are relatively west however your best bet are the Pyranees.

The Pyranees are at the bottom of France/ Top of Spain. They are spa ins highest mountain range and reach over 3000m. Belive it or not skiing in spain is rather big. The biggest pyranean resorts closest to Barcelona are:
Spain
1.Formigal
2.Baquiera Beret
3.Astun
France
1.La Mongie/Bareges
2. St Lary
Andorra
1.Pas De La Casa (Grandvalira Ski Area)
2.Arinsal
3.Soldeu (Grandvalira Ski Area)
4.El Tarter (Grandvalira Ski Area)
These resorts are all in the pyranees and have quite reliable snow cover and resorts in Andorra makes Grandvalira are all linked and have over 300km of slopes the same as Solden others have mostly over 100km of slopes which is a bit smaller than Solden and Val Gardena, but plenty for a week.

These are you best places to go from Barcelona with a travel time of 1 Day.

Very Happy Very Happy Have Fun Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2 days for 900 miles??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Skiing and Barcelona are not two words that normally go together

Lots of people fly into Barcelona to ski the Pyrennees, there are many scheduled coach services from Barcelona to Andorra andorrabybus.com is just one of them.
I have no idea about getting from Barcelona to the Alps by train but it could easily be driven in a day, google puts Barcelona to Bourg st Maurice at 773 km / 7 hours
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Barcelona is our airport of choice to get to Andorra... About 2.5 hour drive (but an easy one... Only any likelihood of snow in very final stretches). Most resorts accessible I would say... Although we always head up from La Massana. Bus service is pretty good too
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whoyton1 wrote:
Well Skiing and Barcelona are not two words that normally go together but there are a reasonable amount of options.

Indeed there are! And the two words do go together when we're talking about people wanting to take a longer holiday (say a week) and combine a some city life with some snow life. In fact, I'd say Barcelona-Pyrenees and Granada-Sierra Nevada is right up there amongst the world's city-and-snow holiday high-fliers.

But Barcelona is not, as you say, typically combined with the Alps! Rather, the Pyrenees at between two and four hours' driving.

Sierra Nevada in the south of Spain is 8 hours' drive away, and as already mentioned the French Alps at 7-8 hours away. Depending on how much you like driving (including paying for motorway tolls), you might prefer to fly from Barcelona (Vueling airline to Granada, easyJet to eg Lyon) or take the train - although I'd be surprised if you saved much time with the train. Granada-Sierra Nevada is a unique experience and could be well make for an unforgettable holiday.

Quote:
The Pyranees are at the bottom of France/ Top of Spain. They are spains highest mountain range and reach over 3000m.

Ah, not so, actually! Sierra Nevada is higher. (As indeed is Mount Teide in Tenerife.)

If you want apres-ski, beware that it's not big in the Pyrenees in general (unlike Granada), but there are a couple of exceptions: Andorra (Grandvalira, eg Soldeu / El Tarter - or even Pas de la Casa if youthful drunkenness is your thing! - and you can travel there by bus or car) or Baqueira-Beret (the Val d'Aran, eg Vielha, Arties, Salardú, or Baqueira itself; more sophisticated/traditional/pretty than Andorra, not a dancing-on-tables place; travel there by bus or much better by car).

There are lots of other Pyrenean options too, generally much quieter, including all the ones mentioned by others above. The closest is actually La Molina - Massella ("Alp 2500") which is one of only a few Pyrenean resorts accessible by train from Barcelona [along with Grandvalira (bus connection) and Ax-les-thermes ("Ax-3-Domains")], but I guess it'd be better to know what kind of skiing you like and what level you have before recommending that particular resort.

Train from Barcelona to the Alps is doable too, of course, though I can't advise on what the transfers from eg Lyon or Grenoble would involve. And as for resorts there, how long is a piece of string! If the distance from Barcelona isn't an issue, you're better off starting a separate thread specifically about France, which will get far more visibility. (Or even better, search this forum's archives, where there must be reams of info.)

We can help you narrow down the Spain/Pyrenees-specific options further if you give us a bit more detail about what you'd really like to get from the holiday!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 20-11-13 23:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Migmad, Have a look at: http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Ski_Resorts_Near_Barcelona_Map.html

All 2 to 3 hours from Barcelona.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Barcelona is our airport of choice to get to Andorra... About 2.5 hour drive
That's exactly what we found on our Sunday outbound leg a few years ago. We had great snow, a great hotel in Soldeu and skied all of the areas in Andorra (as well as Porte de Puymorens in France, as that was just down the road). We loved Andorra and had a brilliant time.

However.....we skied at Masella/La Molina (Spain) on the following Sunday on the way back to Barcelona. The plan was to drive the 160km to Barcelona, check in to the hotel we'd booked and have a nice night out before flying home the next morning.

After leaving the ski area at about 5pm, we eventually got to Barcelona at midnight - total gridlock from door to door and the worst journey we have ever had the misfortune to endure. We arrived totally exhausted and absolutely starving - and our one and only experience of Barcelona was a burger in McDonalds on the Ramblas at about 1am (surrounded by drunks and more than one or two shady characters)..... Confused I don't know if our return commute was unusual - but I'd never again do a return transfer to Barcelona on a Sunday.

Masella/La Molina (known as Alp 2500) was a decent enough ski area though - it was very novel to ski high above barren, almost desert-like scenery.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi - I skied in La Molina last year. Quite enjoyed it although it was snowless (mid March) except for the snow-canonned runs. They have a hospital right next to the main cable car which you may either find a little unnerving (as I did) or quite reassuring!
La Molina actually has a direct train service to Barcelona. Takes a while (2-3 hours) but very cheap, and an enjoyable ride.
Very English spoken in La Molina so worth dusting down your schoolboy Spanish.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh, we also skied Porte Puymorens. Cracking little place - loved it - and ridiculously cheap. Would definitely return there.
It's another place on the train line (15 minute walk from station but up a fast road though, unfortunately) and Ax Les Thermes is about 40 mins train ride away which we also liked.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flying into Barcelona is great. Getting to Andorra from there isn't at all bad. Driving around in Barcelona itself is one of the worst experiences that I have ever had in my life Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Driving around in Barcelona itself is one of the worst experiences that I have ever had in my life
It was amost a pleasure for us after our seven hour ordeal drive to get there...Though finding the centrally located hotel using a city map the size of a fag packet was another story.... Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sjoe - ask for help and people really do help. Thanks everyone for this - this is definitely an awesome starting point.

Okay - seems we must rather do Pyrenees than Alps as it is just so much easier to access from Barcelona. We will have to bus or train everything - coming from SA so no car.

Our choice would then be either Barcelona and Andorra (not sure I like taking a chance with La Molina during March as Neil Neige mentioned it was snowless mid March) so maybe rather Andorra or Porte de Puymorens. We only ski for a week once a year so I would say we are intermediate skiiers - won't try to avoid black runs but more confident on red or blues. We love drinking beers in the sun slopes and having some apre after although it seems Andorra won't be to big on apre. The Granada / Sierre Nevada also sounds like a good option but with wanting to start at Barcelona in Spain I think this option will maybe have to wait for a next time as we don't have enough time to do Barcelona and Granada.

So I'm going to read up between Andorra and Porte de Puymorens and maybe come back here (or France forum) for further questions. Thanks for the link of that website billb, will look at that as well.

Any thoughts on where in Andorra would be nice to stay? Somewhere with a bit of a vibe but not to much admin in the mornings to get to the ski runs?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Starting to read up a bit and seems Soldeu in Andorra is quite popular?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Migmad, I think Andora will be your best bet, apres should be good there and it is relatively large. From what I read Soldeu is a good place to stay.
I personally always wanted to go to Baquiera Beret in Spain. Mountain looks good and villages in the valley apparently too. Formigal get good reviews as well.
Why not rent a car a drive there? Or indeed for easier option maybe bus to Andora. Definitely it will make sense to experience Pyrenees.
Barcelona is brilliant city for a couple of days.
latest report
Thanks Tom - I am also thinking Soldeu at this stage. DO you think there will be snow during March though? We are wanting to go around the 8th.
ski holidays
Migmad,

I skied Pas de la Casa late March. Mornings were great but it got very heavy in the afternoons. There is plenty of apres on offer as Andorra is full of kids from the UK loving all the cheap booze.
ski holidays
I LOVE the "cheap booze" comment - sounds good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
Porte de Puymorens is a very small (and fairly basic) ski areaMigmad. We enjoyed it but skied the lot in a few hours. So I'd definitely go for Andorra. We enjoyed our stay at the Sport Hotel in Soldeu - nice, comfortable hotel; buffet meals; decent facilities; close to the main gondola:

http://www.sporthotel.sporthotelsandorra.co.uk

Soldeu is functional rather than attractive but, a big plus when we were there at least, was that drink prices were about half what we were paying in the French Alps at the time - and there were 2 for 1 offers in happy hour. Also, Andorra is duty free (presumably still is...) - and my wife saved a packet on some new Salomon skis. Anecdotally, the Russian influx was just starting in Andorra when we visited - so it could be that their influence has since pushed up prices.

We had a hire car so visited all of the areas in Andorra - they're all worth a look. Soldeu is linked to Pas de la Casa and is the biggest area; Pal is linked to Arinsal; and Arcalis is separate but is a great ski area.
snow report
If you'd prefer the Alps, Easyjet fly from Geneva to Barcelona - we had a couple of days their visiting a friend after the EOSB one year.
snow report
In your position, I'd go with Soldeu - though flying elsewhere and hiring a car wouldn't be such a strange choice either. The snow in March in the Pyrenees has the potential to be the best of the whole season. You just never know from one year to the next. Who knows whether the fact that this is the best start to a Pyrenees season for many years bodes well for March. If the snow is heavy in the afternoons it means you're basking in the famous Pyrenean sunshine with a Gin and Tonic or whatever wink. Seriously though, the probabilities are good.
ski holidays
Soldeu sounds like a good option for you - good selection of accommodation, and some nice intermediate skiing (210km). March is normally great as it's getting warmer again, so apres is often sunbathing with a beer! Soldeu has a good snow record for the past few years, especially in March.
latest report
Thanks to all - booked the Sport Hotel in Soldeau, Andorra and CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 days ago I didn't know of this forum, where I was going skiing or that the country Andorra even exists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You won't believe how much help you have all been - thanks to everyone who took the time.

Now to get started booking in Barcelona.....
snow report
Migmad, Skiing should be good and Barcelona is great. You owe us a trip report afterwards Wink
ski holidays
Quote:
2 days ago I didn't know.....that the country Andorra even exists
Which might be why South Africa residents are banned from entering the country[b ]Migmad[/b] Very Happy Toofy Grin !!

Glad to see that you've gone with The Sport Hotel, Soldeu - I'm sure it will meet your requirements. If I manage to get round to it, I'll post a few Andorra highlights photos later on....
latest report
When we ski'd in Spain (based near Girona, just North of Barcelona) we did day trips to Vall de Nuria, Vollter 2000, La Molina and Masella, all within a couple of hours.
snow report
I will definitely come and post my report. SA'ricans are so used to being banned we are used to it Very Happy Smile Little Angel

I am super excited!!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
The variation in the yearly amount of snow is larger in the Pyrenees and southern alps, than in the northern Alps.

This year Pyrenees are going to have a excellent snow year, by the looks of it.
At least the eastern Pyrenees (PO = 66 + Andorra) because they have already received MASSIVE amounts of snow.
According to reports on www.skipass.com they have 80 cm of light fresh snow, on a base of already 60 cm.

Just take a look at this video
http://www.zapiks.fr/gavage-de-novembre-en-andorr-1.html

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That is good news - looking awesome!
ski holidays
Porte Puymorens, just north of Pas de la Casa
ski holidays
Looking forward to a Pyrenean extended weekend with friends in Jan! We will have 3 full days skiing minimum. Flying into Girona, staying in a house in the foothills of the Pyrenees 45 mins inland from Perpignan and about 30-35 mins from Mont Louis.
Need to work out which resorts to visit! I'm a highly proficient skier that can go anywhere, in our group there is also a moderately proficient snowboarder with his own board and an intermediate boarder that will need to hire.

From a logistics point of view the best thing would be to hire equipment in Mont Louis and ski the 3 closest areas- Les Angles, Font Romeu/P 2000 and Espace Cambe d'Aze. With the new Costa Verde area and Peborny black runs in Les Angles potentially making up for its relative lack of them, I think it should be a nice mix of resorts. My one concern though is that Les Angles to a degree and particularly Cambe d'Aze are rather drag lift heavy, which may be annoying for the boarders, though my opinion is that the upside is that Cambe d'Aze in particular is uncrowded with very characterful runs and a v decent altitude drop.

The alternative would be to go further afield to Formigueres, Puyvalador, Portes Puymerons or Grandvalira (in order of distance!). Formigueres I was not enormously impressed with when I visited. Puyvalador and Portes Puymerons I know nothing about. Grandvalira speaks for itself as by far the most extensive and least drag lift heavy resort but the distance is quite a lot for a day trip.

What are your guys opinions of Puyvalador and Portes Puymerons? The latter seems to be quite popular here. Is that due to the snow quality and black terrain? Also what is the chair vs drag ratio? Are the chairs quite long and cold (north facing slopes?)

Also with regards to when we arrive at Girona any recommendations re car hire companies that can provide chains, allow us to take car into France, and can provide cars big enough for our luggage and/or ski equipment without ripping us off?
ski holidays
Migmad wrote:
I LOVE the "cheap booze" comment - sounds good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll love it. The beer is dirt cheap and tastes like cats wee wee. It'll be just like drinking Castle Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:
What are your guys opinions of Porte de Puymorens? The latter seems to be quite popular here. Is that due to the snow quality and black terrain? Also what is the chair vs drag ratio? Are the chairs quite long and cold (north facing slopes?)

Here's the trail map Dr. Will: http://www.porte-puymorens.net/index2.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=64&lang=en

To reiterate from previous postings:
- Small area (45km of piste)
- One or two steep runs.
- Antiquated lift system of slow lifts.
- Run-down looking buildings (but the mountain restaurant that we went in was fine inside)
- We enjoyed a very cold January day there on great snow - Baltic cold everywhere, irrespective of slope direction...
ski holidays
It looks like travelling between Barcelona and the Alps will become quicker and easier. The new high speed link between Paris and Barcelona comes into service on 15th December 2013, this makes travel between stations connected with that line a bit quicker and easier.
There will be one direct service a day between Lyon and Barcelona which will take 4 hours 53 minutes and cost from 49 euros one way. Three other services per day are available - changing at Valence increases the journey time to just over 6 hours, changing at Montpelier and Perpignan takes it up to 6 hours 20 minutes and changing at Carcassonne takes it up to just over 7 hours.

You can see more details here - http://www.sncf.com/sites/default/files/cp_paris-barcelone_v10.pdf , google translate may be useful.
latest report
Why on earth would you go from Barcelona to the Alps, when the Pyrenees are on your doorstep?
ski holidays
Barcelona Ski Tours offer full day trips for small group and private tours to fantastic ski areas close to Barcelona. Choose from the following 1 day Barcelona ski tours to Grandvalira Andorra, La Molina and Masella

http://training.cqlsys.com/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 29-11-13 9:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
http://training.cqlsys.com/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy