Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good resorts for kids, must have pool and not be crazy busy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a bit of a dilemma. I turned my back on skiing/boarding in Europe after my first trip to Lake Louise in Canada. The main reasons were that LL was just so much quieter than the French resorts I had been to (3 valleys, deux alp, alp duez to name a few) and with it being smaller also I really got to know what was on offer and didn't feel that each day was a trip..

Anyway, now that we have kids(5 and 2) I don't relish the idea (and expense) of the long flights out to North America so looking closer to home. We are looking for a family friendly resort, hotel or resort itself must have a pool for the kids to play in, good child care for the younger one etc. I called esprit as they are raved about on this site, but the sales person on the phone couldn't really offer any advice on which resorts would be the best suited. A complication is that we will be flying from Glasgow or Edinburgh so, for esprit anyway, that rules out Austria and Italy as there are no flights from Scotland.

So, over to the collective knowledge and experience of Snowheads, I'd really appreciate resort and if possible also hotel/chalet suggestions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you thought about Club Med? Some of their hotels have pools, I think.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ac505, would you be prepared to do a DIY holiday, either booking flights and accommodation separately or driving out (a bit far from Scotland with young kids)? That would give you huge scope. But if you can afford a package with Esprit - not cheap - you will get a lot of very useful help with childcare. They go to "mainstream" resorts, as do most of the British tour operators, and they will tend to be at the busier end of the spectrum.

Will you be able to go out of school holidays? If so there are plenty of quiet resorts where you won't find the crowds. Plenty of apartments with pools, too. If you look at the Peak Retreats website, for example, they have a number of properties with pools, including at least 2 in Les Saisies which would be an ideal resort for you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can recommend the Crystal childcare. Cannot advise ref the flights from Scotland. Some of the family hotel chain hotels are great if pricey.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ac505, try Club Med Pragelato in Italy, some friends of ours went there and loved it and re-booked, pretty sure they said there were lots of Scots there too so flights must have worked out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jet 2 fly Edinburgh to Salzburg, which opens up Salzburgerland and the eastern side of Tirol.

Many Austrian hotels have pools and 'wellness' complexes (spa, sauna, steam room etc) and quite a few offer childcare too. Some of the ski schools have crèches, 'Bambini' groups for under 4's and then ski kindergarten or ski school for 5's and upwards. Not many of these are on the UK Tour Operator schedules but are easily organised as DIY trips. Contact the local Tourist Offices for information or use their online services.

As an example: Saalbach has an excellent website (www.Saalbach.com). Snowacademy has the children's programme as above. There are at least a dozen hotels with pools and wellness (Saalbacherhof, Alpinresort, Bauer, Panther and others) as well as some self-catering apartments that have pools. You will find numerous similar resorts - Zell am See, Bad Gastein, Wagrain, Elmau, Westendorf, Flachau and many more all easily accessible from Salzburg by shuttle-taxis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ac505, Following on from what quinton says re Salzburg. If you want to go with a tour operator, I can recommend http://www.familyskiholidays.com/.

We stayed with them last year in the Zauchensee Hof. Its not particularly cheap, but the hotel is great, and has a fantastic Kids pool which my lot loved. The good thing about Ski Hillwood is if your 5 year old doesn't take to the skiing, you can be flexible with them going into creche or not as the week goes on, and its included in the price. The child care is provided with British Nannies if that appeals or not, and the only other children will be ski hillwood children, similar to Esprit in that way.

They do not use any Scottish Airports for their flights, but offer generous discounts for you organising your own.

Its a small very friendly company, and I can highly recommend the resort of Zauchensee too. Not too busy, and some great skiing.

Happy to answer any questions if I can

Jon
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ac505, you have a PM
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everybody for all the comments and suggestions. I'll start trawling through the sites this week. Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flachau, Wagrain - that area. We have been going there for several years now - since the children were 2 and 4. Ski school was great, very child friendly. Good swimming pool in Wagrain, and also Therme Amade. Easy transfer from Salzburg and very reasonably priced. We have always stayed self catering, we find it easier with the kids, several of the chalets have had play rooms as well. Have a look at http://www.central-flachau.com
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is there a smoking ban in Austria yet?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, I believe something more in keeping with the extremely delcate senisitivies of some Brits will come into action soon! rolling eyes But there were people smoking at a table near me last week in Obertauern - as only the Umbrella Bar was open, I was not surprised!

Personally I don't see a problem; if I smell smoke as I enter a bar or a restaurant I usually turn around and find one with better ventilation! I'm an ex-smoker (albeit I gave up a long time ago) and I have never had a problem. When the fitting of extractor systems was introduced by law back in the late 80s/early 90s, and since the non-smoking sections of most restaurants and huts on the hill became the larger of the areas provided, things have dramatically improved in all except the smallest smoker dens. It was a lot better than the UK for a very long time, but then the Brits suddenly became as imbalanced as the USA about the whole thing and the fanaticism of the converted took hold! Laughing Mind you it does mean that we are not so crowded! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if you're prepared to DIY a bit, Villard de Lans is a very good family resort in my opinion. don't know about the childcare element as ours ski with us (7&5) but there's a good fun pool, it's a proper little mountain town/ ski resort, it's got 120km piste, it's virtually unknown outside france and it's less than an hour from grenoble, 90mins from lyon. as others say though, there are some fantastic family resorts/ hotels in austria. it's just that when we skied in austria, we did it on day trips or weekends from munich and pre-children, so i know very little about child friendly specifics there. but i do recommend VdL, we're back there in Feb.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy