Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's with the short base layers?

Poster: A snowHead
In true mountain weather style, it's gone from roasting hot to rather chilly in a matter of days here. Which got me thinking that the ski season starts just over 3 months' time. Very Happy

My base layer leggings are rather scutty and could do with replacement. However, my internet research has revealed that shrinkflation has occurred. My erstwhile favourite retailers seem to be selling a short slightly below the knee version.I'm rather long (and wide!) legged, these silly short things are not for me. I want warm legs. I want base layers that overlap my socks and fit in my boots so that they do not ride up and leave bits of leg without nice base layer warmth.

Any suggestions as to who sells the nice long ones these days? Brands that retail in Austria would be helpful, I'm not planning to go to the UK any time soon.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@queenie pretty please, Don't worry, it'll be hot again tomorrow Laughing

I hear you though – the cropped leggings don't work if you've got any shape to your legs, they just ride up and bunch around the knees ime. Flat-lock seamed long leggings work better (though I'm a heathen who puts them under my socks Shocked ). Try Mons Royale which retail online for about 50% RRP wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@queenie pretty please, Helly Hansen
https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/women/base-layer/baselayer-pants

Office in Vienna so should be good for you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good suggestions except that these cost more than I would spend on salopettes. Do people seriously pay this much for base layers? My rather scutty ones have lasted three full seasons and cost a tenner each. Starting to understand the shrinkflation part... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've got an 'odlo' shop near here. I spotted long legging base layers in there, but again, silly money.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ALDI ? I'm guessing that Austria and the UK both get Aldi Sud. Didn't see the merino ones for sale last winter in the UK though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@queenie pretty please, If they're nice, you can wear them on their own and not worry about what they look like (though obvs I wouldn't do this with leggings!). I wear my nicer base layer tops interchangeably as normal tops all year round. I definitely get my money's worth!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rjs, we have Hofer instead of Aldi. And yes, worth a look when they have 'ski stuff week' but I don't like merino, too itchy.

@Scarlet, yes I wear the tops year round, but not the leggings. I normally buy from Decathlon. I'm guessing they haven't got their full winter range on sale yet, the page looks rather depleted. I think I'm just jumping the gun a bit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@queenie pretty please, Yes you might be. It's possible there may be manufacturing/stock issues this year as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if stuff gets delayed. Anything that was going to be discounted will already be out there though (I never pay full price for base layers, so just go with whatever colours I can get cheap).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aldi/Hofer and Lidl surely? Aldi merino is pocket money prices & both seem to repeat the base layer offers when they have motorbiker week at least in UK.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@queenie pretty please, I feel your pain. Sponsored Stepson ski instructor has a nice line in discounted Mons Royale stuff which I love, but their 3/4 leggings are far too trendy... don’t reach my belly button and barely meet my socks. I did find a heavily discounted and lovely pair of Ortovox 3/4 merino bottoms on Sportpursuit this winter. Belly button and waist nice and snug, and no sock gap. Happy days! Not sure if You can get sport pursuit in Austria though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hervis might be worth a look, seen some there, possibly also Interspar. Brundl Intersport had/have an outlet at the place in Salzburg, all sorts of stuff there. I don't always go for ones designed to be base layers, quite a few pairs of 3/4 leggings have done the job perfectly, with the added bonus of being useable year round in the gym/for walking.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Look on your version of Flea Bay or clothing sites - or shops/supermarkets - for your basic cheap many dernier think to wooly (albeit probably polyester) ladies tights. Then cut the feet off.
Mine, in various forms, are still going strong after many, many, many a year of everyday use, hiking, mountaineering and skiing/boarding. Often wear 2 pairs for extra warmth.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. I should have pointed out, I don't want 3/4 length or wool. But plenty of other good suggestions. I think it's too early for Interspar, Hervis or Brundl, but they are good shouts. Plus footless tights, never thought of that, could be a simple solution. Thanks again.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queenie pretty please wrote:
Good suggestions except that these cost more than I would spend on salopettes. Do people seriously pay this much for base layers? My rather scutty ones have lasted three full seasons and cost a tenner each. Starting to understand the shrinkflation part... Toofy Grin

Yes I think plenty of people spend £100 for a set for merino base layers.
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:

Yes I think plenty of people spend £100 for a set for merino base layers.

TBF fair for merino you often have to pay to get the fine fibred stuff. The coarser fibres are cheaper but often itchier.

As above, SportPursuit is always a good shout (and they do deliver to Austria). Norrona etc all have online outlets too that are worth a look. Sport Conrad often have great pre-Christmas offers.

For cheap, check Hervis, and even H&M in season. Maybe even yoga clothes? For me, as it's the layer right next to my skin which I'll be feeling all day, I prefer to buy solid brands and decent materials (generally 20-100% quality merino mixes/hybrids depending on how much I expect to sweat) I trust, but during sale periods. I use the same for kayaking and hiking in summer though and definitely feel I get my money's worth!
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Maybe even yoga clothes?

Haha! Ever priced those up? About twice the cost of merino base layers due to the extra Instagrammability of yoga people wink
ski holidays
I guess this is why I'm not keen on merino. I'm sure the high end stuff is great, but in my price range it's nasty, itchy and goes bobbly in the wash.

I think the likes of Hervis, Decathlon, etc. will probably have their new winter gear in a month or so. I just need to be patient.
snow report
I don't understand this thread, even in -26 my legs have never felt cold , the only time I'd wished for warmer legwear was once riding a stupidly open chairlift in Killington which ran directly through a snow gun spray.
I usually wear " cycle short length" underwear beneath shell pants and never need anything warmer.
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, If you can stretch to some Patagonia stuff, I can heartily recommend their 'Capilene' products. Nice confutable material in a range of weights/warmths, well made, really long lasting (oldest surviving piece is 12 years old), breaths really well , doesn't smell (material impregnated with silver ion so 'natural' antibacterial) and supposedly quite eco.

<added: I've just looked at their website, prices considerably more than when I bought, which I admit was a good few years back - snowandrock had them on half price sale for a few years at £15 a go. Not anymore>

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 6-08-20 11:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Roguevfr, I have softshell-type salopettes. They have a fleece lining but aren't insulated as such. Often in March/April I don't need the base layer leggings, but earlier than that I certainly do.

@rogg, looks great, but at €70 a pop, €210 for 3, definitely not in my budget. My salopettes cost €40.
ski holidays
@queenie pretty please, haha, was just adding to my post.
snow report
I guess this is why I'm not keen on merino. I'm sure the high end stuff is great, but in my price range it's nasty, itchy and goes bobbly in the wash.

I think the likes of Hervis, Decathlon, etc. will probably have their new winter gear in a month or so. I just need to be patient.

My Aldi ones are not itchy, and have been hand washed lots of times without going bobbly.

The Aldi ski baselayers last winter didn't look to be merino anyway.
snow report
@queenie pretty please, Running tights (Nike Asics, Adidias etc) under a shell for me, warm breathable, quick-drying, stretchy fit. They have the added benefit that you can wear them in the summer for activities like hillwalking, and if you're feeling modest, wear them under shorts.
And they're much cheaper than branded base layers.
The only disadvantage is that they have zips around the ankle, a definite no-no for inside ski boots, so you may have to scrunch them up above the cuff. On the other hand, there are so many options, that you may find a 3/4 length that is long enough to reach down to the cuff (mine do) and then just pull the sock up over the cuff
snow conditions
@Roguevfr, I have softshell-type salopettes. They have a fleece lining but aren't insulated as such. Often in March/April I don't need the base layer leggings, but earlier than that I certainly do.

Cheaper and easier to buy insulated salopettes then , for wearing during the colder weather.
ski holidays
@Roguevfr, which is something I have been looking for, but without success (on grounds of size and price).

@rjs, I'm so not someone who does the laundry by hand, but Hofer is a good shout when their stuff arrives.

@Chamcham, noted thanks.
ski holidays
Chamcham wrote:
@queenie pretty please, Running tights (Nike Asics, Adidias etc) under a shell for me, warm breathable, quick-drying, stretchy fit. They have the added benefit that you can wear them in the summer for activities like hillwalking, and if you're feeling modest, wear them under shorts.
And they're much cheaper than branded base layers.
The only disadvantage is that they have zips around the ankle, a definite no-no for inside ski boots, so you may have to scrunch them up above the cuff. On the other hand, there are so many options, that you may find a 3/4 length that is long enough to reach down to the cuff (mine do) and then just pull the sock up over the cuff

I do this too - and I was fortunate to get some great nike running leggings a few years ago with no zips, which are great. I prefer the 3/4 length personally, and find my socks can be pulled up over them in the Nike versions/lengths.

Edit: I'm now scanning the sales checking out new leggings for myself, d*mmit Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm a big fan of Rainbows & Sprinkles activewear leggings. They aren't designed as a base layer as such but I find they go under my skiwear a treat and are ideal for most conditions I ski in. Three lengths (capri, regular and tall) so should be something to suit, plus they come up very high and don't ride up or down. If you aren't fussy about patterns then keep an eye out for special offers. Last week the rainbows were only £10, this week the dinosaurs are 10% off. Also if you browse the different designs there are odd pairs in odd sizes left that were the earlier style without the zip pocket and these are only £15. They are generous in size but if you get it wrong the owner is quick to exchange and her customer service is great (the advantages of a small business). I wear mine year round, for sport and work.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy