Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telescopic trekking or ski poles (help!)

Poster: A snowHead
Guys and girls

I am a snowboarder and doing a bit of off piste in March and April, parts of which are flat and it has been recommended that I get some telescopic poles.

From what I can see, I just need some poles with a snow basket, but it's proving hard to find a cheap set (will hardly use them).

I found these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trekrite-Four-Section-Compact-Walking-Hiking/dp/B0058N154Y/ref=sr_1_5?tag=amz07b-21&s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1361266819&sr=1-5

Any thoughts or suggestions of what to buy and where would be thoroughly welcomed and encouraged!

Thanks in anticipation.

James.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
(incidentally, I have a decent backpack that is designed to carry things like a snow shovel and so on, so it may be that 'normal' poles collapse down small enough to put on a backpack, I don't know!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends how big your backpack is. Normal 3 section trekking poles will overhang a 30l or less daypack by a bit but you can get a pair for under a tenner at places like Go Outdoors and Decathlon. 4 section will be a bit more compact. You can buy powder baskets separately at any good in resort ski shop from their spares bin.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mr_merc, technique extreme. 3 section, may overhang your pack, who cares. Cheap (? €20?) not the best securing mechanism, but good enough for occasional use.

If better required, look at Black Diamond.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the comments guys.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FYI, if it's flat enough that you're considering poling along on a snowboard, you're probably better off walking. Pushing along with poles on a board is a miserable (and exhausting) experience.

If it's for the Vallée Blanche, you don't need them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is indeed for Vallee Blanche. I had just read that we would need them. Is that not the case, then?

It will be our first foray into 'proper' off piste (as opposed to just di*king around in the trees but still in sight of the piste) in April.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
proper trekking pole are usually spring loaded at the telescopic bit - this is to take absorb the load for walkers as they stomp down hill (the whole point). You deffo dont need those

telescopic ski poles dont have this and are therefore cheaper and usually lighter. Apart from packing them down smaller, the telescopic bit is useful for when you're traversing slopes on the climb (not sure if you will be), eg one long pole, one short pole. Not strictly necessary as you can always just hold your uphill ski pole down the shaft to shorten it (though you cant lengthen your downhill), but a bit more comfy with the telescopic jobbys and of course you can pack them down for your pack etc

to be honest though telescopic are probably just being recommended so you can pack them away out of your road as good as you can, especially if you're a boarder
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Decathlon

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-300-1-pole-id_8088722.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you're doing split boards and proper touring, fair enough, but for normal off piste... I'd be a bit wary of that.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to use poles for descent, although CMH used to recommend them when they were skier-dominated and knew nothing about back country snowboarding. I've not ridden the Valle Blanche, but I'd be surprised if a competent boarder would need poles anywhere.

What you're supposed to do with a 1.2m pole when you're traversing 3.5m deep snow with no pisted base I'm not sure - it's not going to make a good paddle.

In BC at least, just avoid the flats by looking ahead.
If that doesn't work, let some skiers pound it down a bit first.
If that doesn't work, take a boot out and paddle with it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philwig, the vallee b hcan have a very long flat section...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I guess you have to ask someone who has been, but I'd expect it to be a bit of a trade route, so tracked on the flat sections, and pisted by the crowds through the season. So you're not talking bottomless there, I'd guess. It's even easier to punt your board along on flats which are tracked out like that.

Each to their own though, do report back how you find it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I will indeed report back.

I guess Vallee Blanche is 'off piste', but actually used by so many people it becomes like a piste.

What I have read on guide sites is that poles are required by boarders because of some of the extensive flat parts and they don't like you removing your board in case of snow bridges having too much pressure put on them.

I am now in two minds what to do having read this thread!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could use downhill poles which are not straight
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mr_merc, assuming that you're going off-piste with a guide, are you going with a guide who'll be snowboarding or as part of a skier group?
snow report
Pass by TK MAX they sometimes have poles in, but be prepared to look for them, they don't seem to know where to put them, last time they were in amongst the motoring accesories!
snow conditions
@ Richard: yes, it will be guided, but I don't know whether the guide will be a skier or boarder. I suspect the former. In our group there will be two advanced skiers (who have never been off piste properly) and two intermediate boarders.
ski holidays
If its for the Valle Blanche then take poles. I have done it a few times with boarders and they always need a tow or they have pole/s. The advice above about it being easier to walk than pole is DANGEROUS, walk on a snow covered glacier and you may well end up down a hole.

A couple of years back a snowboarder with a guided group just failed to make the lunch time rocks, took off his board and started to walk the short distance to his group, he fell in a hole and was killed.

You can get a trekking pole for next to nothing and if it stays on your pack, so what.

The VB

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 20-02-13 11:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@jbob: That settles my opinion, then. Thanks!

What do you reckon, then - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-300-1-pole-id_8088722.html ?
snow conditions
Rode the VB, didn't take or need poles. The final section to montevers is almost flat but I kept enough speed to cruise and take in the scenery quite easy. If you have a sintered waxed board can't see why anyone should have a problem.

Been up other times sightseeing and would say most boarders do not have poles with them!
snow conditions
My board is indeed sintered and waxed with spring/warm temp wax so hope it will be ok.
ski holidays
jbob, I wasn't referring to the Vallée Blanche when suggesting that walking is easier than poling.

I've ridden the VB many times on a snowboard. Never needed poles, never even thought about needing poles.
ski holidays
If snow is fresh and you are first down I don't think it's possible to ride VB flats all the way without tow/poles. jbob's advice concurs with that of our guide who stressed that certain areas of Vallée Blanche are dangerous to walk on. Rode it last year and year before. Fresh wax on board both times and first out from station. First time took just one pole - really not good, second time two poles, much easier and more effective. I used four piece telescopic trekking poles with snow baskets forced on. Still hard work though!
ski holidays
the obvious reply is to learn how to ski (sorry couldn't help myself) or better still tele.
snow report
ed123, but then you'd be skiing (or teleing), and why the *&(£ would you want to do that?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy