Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The most spectacular ski lift in the world

Poster: A snowHead
Imagine boarding a train in London and arriving in the Graubunden area of SE Switzerland.

Well that's the dream of Swiss engineers in building an underground train station near Sedrun and Andermatt with the longest lift shaft to the surface and with the intention of eventually linking to the rest of Europe by 2015.

Read more about it here .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will there be any snow then ? Im not going to hang around till then !! Think the Swiss Goverment has under-estimated Global warming !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Imagine boarding a train in London and arriving in the Graubunden area of SE Switzerland

Quote:

Swiss engineers are building an underground train station

Will that be an extension of the Northern or the Jubilee line then?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I feel it's probably time (8 years on) that I admit what I did and share some of the responsibility for the delays on the extension to the Jubilee line project.

It involves me being a temp, a financially delicate projections document and the wrong fax number.

Sorry to everyone who has been affected. Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alexandra, I played my part too... temping for BBA @ Waterloo... mind on snow... whoops... Still the Jubilee extension wasn't *that* important...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
"We are not just building for Switzerland, we are building for Europe. The dream is to have a fast train directly from London to the Porta Alpina. The English were the pioneers of tourism in Graubünden, and we hope this idea will now experience a renaissance."

It is Ironic that in sunnier places such as Greece and the Costa's the Brits on holiday are seen as a menace by the locals and their governance. However, when we look into ski resorts were seem to be welcomed with open arms. I love being a winter sports man rather than a pool/sea lover Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ginger winger, I think it's a Swiss thing, I've almost always felt welcomed in hotels in Switzerland where I've felt like I was a guest rather than a customer, the few exceptions were hotels run by non Swiss, for some strange reason the Swiss actually seem to like the Brits, perhaps its a similar Island mentality, the Brits being surrounded by sea, the Swiss by lots of other countries, I don't really know, but there's definately something
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alexandra, Oh dear. I helped LUL cope with an over-budget Jubilee line-extention contractor! Laughing

JimW, Swiss line would probably terminate at a dedicated mainline UK station somewhere really useful, like Tunbridge Wells. wink And at least 3/4 the journey time would be spent meandering from Dover to TW.

But isn't there already a sleeper service from London to Switzerland? One of our southern :sH:heads regularly uses it. Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ginger winger, Brits are popular here too - Italians are despised though!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda, there used to be a decent route via Brussels, now you have to play silly games in Paris and may have to change trains at 5am in Basle Sad

If you live in London however you can go via TGV from Paris to Switzerland and on to a resort in a day
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the "Berner Zeitung" this morning they have in in depth report into the project. Its in German (Suisse) to long for me to translate now but if someone gots some free time feel free ??

http://www.espace.ch/artikel_151445.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
off topic a bit despite the thread title wink but the most spectacular chair lift i was ever on was in tignes.. now i dont know the area well but i was staying near the dam.. we drove all the way past the main town and right to the other end, we skied there for the morning then at midday my slelf an dmy son decided to atart working out way back to les breviere..? ilooked at the map, saw the lift we needed and off we went.. i was a bit confused as to why so mnay people were coming down the lift but i wasnt really concentrating.. up we went and as im sure some of you know this lift goes up over the ridge and down the other side, hence the people coming in the other direction, well i was expecting the lift to stop at th etop and was totally unprepared for the view and the sheer shock of going 'over the top'.. im sure this added to the effect and also the fact that i only did it once .. but that is my 'most spectacualr cahirlift' Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CANV CANVINGTON, do you mean the up-and-over chair that links Fornet and Solaise at Val d'Isere? It gives access to a huge ridge of off-piste, and I've seen skiers jump off at the top of the chair...very tempting but the pisteurs aren't keen apparrently! I've not skied in Tignes for 4 or 5 years but there weren't any up and over chairs there AFAIK, although there's a down-and-under one at Alpe d'Huez which is similar.

The most spectacular lift I've been on is the second stage of the Klein Matterhorn cable car at Zermatt, for that feeling of being a thousand feet above yawning crevasses, and the Midi at Chamonix would be a close second!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There used to be chairlift going up to the Glacier at Tignes that went round a corner ! That was a fright because it used to nearly fling you off.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Plake,

I went there 3 years ago when it was my first week on snow and really wanted to jump off - but was advised that my skill level was not high enough to do it! 5 weeks of snow later, i'm going back and i'm going to do it!

Just like im going to do the Face without sliding for 100 foot on my belly (second day skiing ever, imminent white-out and my friends took me down an olympic black.. lol)
latest report
Plake, the last 100m of the Klein Matterhorn lift feels like you are going vertically up. A fantastic view from the platform at the top of the mountain though.
snow report
magicrichard, Did they get you to drive to the Alps on your second day behind thhe wheel. Divvies rolling eyes

Vanoise Express: La Plagne / Les Arcs. Awesome if for the speed alone.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, No, they stopped short at that - probably following the lecture they got when we all got back and I received "dunce of the day" followed by "wipe-out of the week" later on. Quite why *I* got the dunce award for being taken down there was a mystery to me, but it was a lovely hat i got to wear!

Also agree about the Vanoise Express - except i hate that bit at the end of all gondolas, where you are basically there, but it takes about 2 minutes to steady itself enough to open the doors for you - very frustrating!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy