Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

choose one ski resort you WOULDN'T go back to

Poster: A snowHead
Now this should stir up some controversy! Pls say why you wouldn't go back.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Borovets - There's only so much skiing around large rocks in the middle of a piste that one guy can take!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pec pod Sněžkou

Largely flat.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm, actually I really struggle to think of (m)any resorts that I wouldn't ever go back to. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but even during the worst skiing I've experienced (probably Sauze D'Oulx in March, never seen so little snow) I've been looking round thinking that with some decent snow the off piste would be great.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Deux Alpes - Blackpool By The Piste
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Borovets, absolutely rubbish ski school
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Courchevel (the resort, not the surrounding terrain!). Two words: The Beckhams. Oh, and it cost €8 for an espresso a couple of years back Mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Deux Alpes, so many bars so few runs Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Canyons, Utah, USA

Way too much phaffing about on the lift system.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 7-11-12 23:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zell am See - 2008 terrible snow - most runs down back down to base closed except for slushy black that was littered with idiots (as were most of the other runs), limited skiing and no snow at all in village + up hill walk to gondola - on bright side Romatik hotel Zell am see was great.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chamonix, chamonix, chamonix
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les Deux Alpes - as they definitely cheat on piste km. No way there is 200km. You just end up going up the same lift everyday and ski down the same pistes.
If they will advertise as 90km I would have no problem Wink I liked the views, village, and runs under the chair just below glacier.
Saying this I would not refuse any skiing, even 1 lift resort I would prefer than sitting in the office.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett wrote:

Can we have a reason why please? I've only been in the spring so never got to enjoy the full potential of the terrain, but still would put it in the category of 'resorts you would go back to'!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, Umm, but you didn't actually stay in Chamonix did you?

You can't really not go back to somewhere you never were, can you?

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Foppolo - like a snow dome but with less skiing
latest report
Gnarbeque, See above.

Mr Bassett equates Les Houches with Chamonix.

They are, to be fair, in the same valley, but they are not the same thing. (actually, Les Hs is now on the main CHX lift pass).
snow conditions
Kimberley - very uninspiring terrain - a total contrast to nearby Fernie.
ski holidays
I'd never look a snowy gift horse in the mouth, but L2A was a bit of a let down because of the lift closures when theres more than a puff of wind and the masses of flat sections (La Fee anyone?)
latest report
A toss-up between La Plagne and Pas De La Casa.

La Plagne; no real village, just a lot of largely ugly little 'bits', no resort atmosphere or charm, large ski area but not much variety, busy even in low season.
Pas De La Casa; ugly, noisy, cheap nasty accommodation, too many drunken louts, large ski area but not especially challenging and prone to poor snow.
snow report
In order of worse-ness:

Salen, Sweden
St Moritz, Gnomeland
Killington, Vermont
Aprica, Italy
Val Thorens
Actually anywhere in France starting with Val
snow conditions
Borovets. Queues often an hour long.
Either ice or puddles in my experience.
Luke warm food.
The toilets on slope, foul and pay to use?
Airport delays the norm, went 3 times, delayed 3 times.
Too many per class at ski school.
Too many levels per class unless you are a complete novice at ski school.
ski holidays
Serre Chevalier.

Too many old, slow lifts. Also crowded pistes, too much walking/catching buses at the start and end of each day, and the place was absolutely dead at night.

Sorry to the SC lovers on here.

Then Zell Am See. Beautiful but too small, even with Kaprun.
ski holidays
Les Deux Alpes, not really two alps, more an alp and a half. Uninspiring village, dull nightlife and so so skiing.

Zell Am See, nice town, pretty lake with goods runs down to it but limited skiing apart from that.
snow conditions
Les Deux Alps - bottleneck piste to get down each day, T bar lifts on the glacier and Frosty the Snowman says it all with Blackpool in the Alps - actually Blackpool is better and more fun
ski holidays
Les Deux Alpes - you get the impression there isn't much skiing, and that's because there isn't! Saying that, signal is a great run, especially doing the glacier before hand as well

Killington - it's like skiing it the Pennines! Not really mountains, and soooo expensive!
latest report
Oh, I forgot Cervinia, good snow but terrible winds meant lots of lift closures and links to Zermatt closed all week. Did fall in love though. wink It didn't last. Crying or Very sad
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
+1
snow report
I suspect there are many that I will not return to but 'would not return to' is sort of different but l2a is deffers on the cant be arsed list although I have only been there in the summer when the place was brim full of arrogant rich little Italian brats on summer ski schools.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't choose to go to St Anton or Alpe D'Huez again but I'd rather spend a week skiing anywhere than a week at work.
snow conditions
Wasn't very keen on Sauze d'Oulx. Found the terrain/layout completely uninsipring. I can hardly bring to mind a single piste or lift, which is rare for me because I'm the sort who pores over piste maps working out where I've been. "Would never go back" is a bit strong though.
latest report
snowbandit wrote:
Kimberley - very uninspiring terrain - a total contrast to nearby Fernie.

As sung by yours truly at a Fernie Ghostriders hockey game, versus their arch rivals from up the valley:

"Kimberley's a girl's name, Kimberley's a girl's name, la la la la, la la la la"
latest report
Borovets and, on that experience, anywhere else in Bulgaria
latest report
Les Coches - not well located for skiing La Plagne (icy run back at the end of the day) and those bits of La Plagne we reached were uninspiring. This was before the link to Les Arcs so it might not be such a bad base now. I much prefer the Les Arcs ski area.

Val Thorens - very bleak at New Year when we went. Didn't like the look of Meribel either (less bleak but very crowded).
snow report
La Plagne - thought it was like skiing on non-stop connecting runs, piste preparation was appalling and the base is so ugly and spread out.
Stowe - Windy and as with Killington, like skiing in the Pennines.
snow report
Zell am See. Went for a day. Too much walking at the bottom to get back to the cable cars, not enough runs to keep me interested for a day never mind a week.
latest report
Igls. Got there on an allocation-on-arrival deal with Inghams and it was so limited for skiing I took up snowboarding.
snow conditions
Meribel, piste-wise, boring motorway skiing and full of brits to boot, little england-on-snow. The only place in France where a french person asked me to speak english. The village architecture redeems it somewhat, but that's about it.

Last time I skied there I was working, but I wouldn't pay to holiday there again.
snow report
La Rosiere, it's all that I hate in a ski resort.
snow conditions
Corky, I am not picking on you but this is a splendid example of one of my pet peeves.

Not going back to Cervinia I can understand, it doesn't light my wick (unless a heli drop onto a glacier is involved) - but surely, making a judgement on an entire ski area based on it beeing a bit breezy on the one unlucky week you were there is irrational?
snow report
skir67 wrote:
Meribel, piste-wise, boring motorway skiing and full of brits to boot, little england-on-snow. The only place in France where a french person asked me to speak english. The village architecture redeems it somewhat, but that's about it.

Last time I skied there I was working, but I wouldn't pay to holiday there again.
I absolutely love the 3V, for many reasons, and stay in Mottaret - which is a bit of a dump - by choice, because of its convenience for getting around the whole domain. OK, Meribel may not have the best runs or the most entertaining clientele in the whole place, but it hardly matters in the larger scheme of things.

I'd like to go back to Wengen. Again, partly because it lies in the middle of the Jungfrau region, which I like a lot.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy