Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with a avery important problem!

Poster: A snowHead
So, here is my problem. First of all I am a snowhead under a different name, but need to hide my identity as this is a sensitive subject!

I am heading out before christmas for a ski trip with my girlfriend before christmas, flying easyjet. However, unknown to her I have a bit of a secret plan, and intend to propose while I am out there!

What I cant figure out, is how to get the ring safely there, without risking being discovered! I am loathed to put a several thousand pound ring into check in baggage, as I would be terrified the bag may get lost, and would worry it wouldnt be insured. I might be able to get away with it in carry on, but if I was to get searched, which obviously happens from time to time, it would be a disaster! Considered slipping it into the back of my ipad cover, but again that might look odd on a scanner, and cause a search?

Cant think of a legitimate reason to go through security separately, and think that she would be very suspicious of this.

Any suggestions?? Anyone managed this before?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swallow it in a condom Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Insure it before you leave and put it in your hold luggage. Your bag won't disappear, even if it does get lost. Simples.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swallow it in a condom?

Sorry, prob not much help but hope she says yes anyway!

Edited to add: Damn, beaten to it Skullie

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 6-11-13 21:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
protosaurus, LOL!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't stick it up your bum, however tempting that may be Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you already purchased the ring? If not buy the diamonds and smuggle them through - propose with them and let your girlfriend choose the ring setting when she gets home Toofy Grin

Alternatively can't you put the ring in your wallet inside a rucksack and stick it on the tray when you go through the scanner.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
secretskier, put it in your washbag, it will not be noticed amongst all the other metallic bits and pieces.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Regarding insurance you can declare it on your contents insurance. Put it in your coat pocket which you will have to take off and put through the scanner anyway. She won't be able to see the scanner and there is no reason why you wouldn't have jewelry in your luggage/coat going through the scanner.

That aside good luck with the proposal. I hope all goes smoothly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neraida wrote:
Insure it before you leave and put it in your hold luggage. Your bag won't disappear, even if it does get lost. Simples.

Definitely don't put any valuables in the hold. I once packed a camera in my locked case for a flight to Kenya. When we got to Nairobi the case came through very late in the baggage room and the camera had been taken. A bit of a disaster for a safari holiday. I tried to claim on my Kuoni insurance when I got home and they wouldn't pay up as in the small print it said that my camera wasn't covered as checked in baggage. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok find someone going to the same resort as you and ask them to take it out there for you.

Bound to be a fellow snowhead in the same resort
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Prince Albert might be the answer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, are you double bluffing?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair enough if insurance won't cover it. There are better suggestions here. However I would expect to have my gear stolen on a Nairobi flight!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think it's easier than you think...

I would not check it! I would put it in the bag or zippered pocket with my charging cables. Even if the security folks decide they want to see it, she won't be allowed to come with you to the searching area, and you can let the officer know in a discrete way.

Good luck!
snow report
secretskier, mr paranoid.

Hand luggage only or pockets. It won't be noticed. Relax.
ski holidays
Carry it through security in the heel of your shoe and if discovered propose there and then/during the strip search.
latest report
Carry it through security in the heel of your shoe and if discovered propose there and then/during the strip search.
snow report
Filthyphil30k, No! there are so many bits of metal in a washbag, razor, beard trimmer, the latest battery operated accessories etc. narf,narf, that another bit of jewellery is not going to get noticed and even if it's in your backpack it's hardly going to trigger the auto search function on the scanner. The only time I've had a search is with my travel speaker battery that looked like a big lump of 'plastique' with wires.
snow conditions
put it on your bunch of keys!
ski holidays
How about getting a paste replica made and taking that in hold baggage to propose with then replacing it once back home? If you do take the genuine article with you I would put in into your wallet (sew it in if you are worried about losing it, and put the wallet through the scanner along with your keys. I would also carry the shop receipt in case you are done for smuggling - I also wonder if its worth a lot whether technically you need to be in the something to declare group. All in all a safer option is just to take a cheaper ring - you could even buy a token ring at the airport once through airport security on the pretext of a taking a trip to visit the gents for 10 mins. N.B. Is it just me or is the style of the OP rather distinctive? I've got a sneaky suspicion I can guess who it is.
ski holidays
I had a search once when they didn't know what my luggage scales were. For some reason I always also seem to be the nth person that sets the scanner off and has to be patted down. I take so much care - specs off, watch off, jacket off, no belt shoes off, unwired bra for travelling in, no rings or earrings, not a scrap of metal anywhere, but still the damn scanner goes ping!
latest report
secretskier,

Leave the ring at home - "diaments are a girls best friend" - she might concentrate on the wrong thing!! You? Sad

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 6-11-13 22:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
When I flew to Italy to propose I just put the ring in the front pocket of my carry on luggage and had no issues.

Good luck
snow report
Put it in a pocket of your hand luggage and don't get stressed out. If you do get rumbled just pretend you always carry one with you in case you meet "the one".

Oh easyjet now have allocated seats... good luck
ski holidays
Penicillin usually works..
ski holidays
As said, even at the worst just ask for a private search. A ring will not attract any suspicion at all though.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
I had a search once when they didn't know what my luggage scales were. For some reason I always also seem to be the nth person that sets the scanner off and has to be patted down. I take so much care - specs off, watch off, jacket off, no belt shoes off, unwired bra for travelling in, no rings or earrings, not a scrap of metal anywhere, but still the damn scanner goes ping!

scanner people told me it was random as well as detecting a certain amount of metal
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How bout slipping it on your little finger with the stone facing your palm. Will look like a normal band and your GF will not notice if you keep you hand in your pocket. Then excuse yourself and remove it in the gents. Sorted.
snow report
The easy solution here is not to get married. It will save you an awful lot of money long term.
latest report
My girlfriend went shopping for an evil dominatrix outfit... or wedding dress as she likes to call them. Laughing
snow conditions
I think we are over-engineering this. Just put it in your carry-on luggage.

On a different note, although it us romantic to propose on bended knee with the ring in hand there us a lot to be said by getting the ring together afterwards and having it made specially. Apart from anything else it will fit! I used to be in the diamond business, and although I was focused on rough, not polished, I can't tell you the number of girls i met who didn't like their engagement rings. PM me if you need any diamond related advice.
ski holidays
Just pack amongst other stuff in your hand luggage - from what I gather every other bloke of a certain age must be carrying a ring with him, our daughter was proposed to at the top of the Chamossiere a couple of years ago, with the ring too, so I would have been more worried about dropping it in the snow than it being discovered at security at Gatwick.
Good luck.
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I had quite a few guests who proposed while on their ski holiday and none of them had a problem with the ring in hand luggage. I wouldn't worry!
ski holidays
Every single female Snowheads going on holiday before christmas with her man is now wondering..... Cool

There may be some disappointed ladies out there, especially since you have given the idea time to grow and warp into a certainty!

Bad Man Twisted Evil
snow report
secretskier, Hand Luggage, I have done this so here is how it works, I stuffed mine into a race glove the night before and packed it in the hand luggage, a few minutes later I witness my wife to be with the glove in her hand packing something else into my carry on, thankfully the carbon fibre knuckles on race gloves masked what was on the inside!!!

Airports have procedures for this get in touch with the airport before hand and they will let you know what to do basically in our nearest airport they give you a word to use if you are pulled up in front of your other half and they then pull you aside to be searched privately. I went through without any hassle, Just make sure there is nothing in the hand luggage that sets of the scanners.

Best of luck!
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu, it seems there is now a trend to have a 'proposal ring', something pretty and very glittery, but relatively inexpensive. eg crystals in silver. This is used at the big romantic moment. Shopping for the engagement ring then becomes an occasion in its own right with the chosen shop being made aware the couple are coming and offering champagne whilst decisions are made! rolling eyes
ski holidays
I can't see why it be a problem on a scan - it will look like a ring, and loads of people wear rings without any difficulties.

However, a ring is by no means essential for a proposal - and like a number of posters above, I'd prefer to shop together afterwards. We did our ring shopping in Salzburg - a happy memory!
snow conditions
Here's how to do it based on experience last year:

1) Insure it properly. If it's valuable, then your household contents won't touch it. It WILL NOT be covered in the hold baggage! I used www.thmarch.co.uk
2) Dress carefully with no metal: no necklaces, earings, metal zips, button flies, cufflinks, watches, belt buckles - you get the idea.
3) Place ring box in hold luggage.
4) Place ring in trouser pocket - ideally a mini pocket at the front like on jeans, the one nothing fits in.
5) Walk through security.

The detectors allow certain small amounts through - if you're wearing jeans with metal buttons/rivets/etc. these don't trigger. Neither does a wedding ring/piercing/filling/etc. It's the amount in total that causes the trigger.

That said, they do sometimes do a random search, but it's small enough to pass if it's in the right pocket - so back pocket is out. Very baggy/outdoorsy type trousers with lots of (plastic) zippered pockets are idea - loads of creases for it to hide.

I had a friend working in the airport so I was able to a few test runs before going for it. It worked fine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy