Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hintertux driving advice & accomodation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks

possibly looking at a few days next week in Hintertux and I`m looking for suggestions for reasonable priced accomodation for about 3 nights for me and my son.
Also looking for any driving advice - probably shuttle to Paris and then drive to Hintertux - looking for any tips or things to watch out for?

Thanks

Paul
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulmo101, you may find it quite busy as it is Half Term over here as well, i.e Bavaria, Baden-Würtemberg and many of the Austrian provinces. I read on here that some of the race groups were finding it difficult to get accommodation in the Zillertal over the next week. Also next Friday is a bank holiday (All Souls Day) in just about all the Western European countries, giving us a long weekend. I'm looking at having a wee slide at Stubai instead of Hintertux because not as many race clubs go there and the park rats are over the otherside of the hill so they don't clog up the lifts as much as they do on the Hintertux slopes. Look at accommodation in Neustift in Stubaital for the nearest wide range of choice.

If you do come over, make sure your hire car is winterised as the weather is due to break over the next few days and heavy snow is forecast for Wednesday/Thursday. The final stretches up to the glacier access can be very wintery even at this time of the year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The first advice I would give is don't plan to stay in Hintertux as there is so little there, better to stay down in Mayrhofen as there is more to do and see there, public swimming pool etc.

How old is your son?

If you do want to stay in Tux then this B&B is very good value.

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Sue

Big thanks for the reply - Neustift looks good and seems better for places to stay. This is definitly an option.

We may take the ferry to Calais if it works out much cheaper but still looking for any advice on the drive ( I think we have all the legal stuff covered such as Hi vis vests, breatherliser kits, headlamp converters etc.) or any other accomodation suggestions.

Thanks for reading

Paul
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Jimbo

My son is 21 so can share ( ie does most of) the driving. Not too bothred about staying in Tux as accomodation is quite limited but Mayrhofen is another possibility as there is more choice.
My son has stayed in Tux before, the Bad hotel I think and he said it was very good. Hopefully looking to do the trip on a budget due to arrival of new kitchen soon!

Thanks

Paul
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
paulmo101, If you are driving down be prepared for delays en route as this really is the season for doing as many road repairs as possible before winter sets in.
Winter tyres are probably your most important piece of equipment if you have normal UK ones. A friend was driving from Munich Airport to Flachau at night the week before last, torrential rain with almost zero vis. She was not sure if she had winter tyres on her hire car so was very cautious adding nearly an hour to her usual time with virtually no traffic. If you have all weather tyres you may just get away with it if the temperatures are not too low. There is a shuttle bus from Neustift up to the glacier which will avoid the worst bits if it gets very wintry!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
By the way you don't need the breathalysers any more. The French were forced to rescind the law when supply could not meet demand and the accuracy of Sarko's mates products was proved to be about shaky on quality! Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well the problem is that next week its not only this bank holiday, its also Autumn Holidays for the two Provinces of S.Germany, Bayern and Baden Württemberg
I am thinking also for a long weekend but i dont i am afraid of the traffic and that the ski resorts will be full...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulmo101 For Neustift digs, have a look at Booking.com, Hotels.com or Laterooms.com - good selection on those sites. Stubai is an excellent glacier - extensive and probably more varied that Hintertux.

Fulpmes (next village down the valley from Neustift) is quite nice too - we've just booked to stay here next March after a Stubai Valley ski tour. Looks an excellent standard for the price - we're paying €82/double room/B&B:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/at/bruggerhof-fulpmes.en-gb.html?sid=c6428e1850041211d898bfd9bfd52f38;dcid=1
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Folks

Big thanks for the replies - I think Sam is pricing up some places to stay hopefully not too expensive.

If everything goes Ok Possibly looking to set out Wednesday evening and in resort before Thurs lunch.

Thanks again

Paul
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

heavy snow is forecast for Wednesday/Thursday.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sue - I notice there is a 'ski test at Stubai from the 7th to the 10th - the dates I intend to be in Tux/Stubai/Zermatt. Will it be mobbed in your opinion? And you seem to think the skiable area compares well to Tux?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulmo101 wrote:
Hi Folks

Big thanks for the replies - I think Sam is pricing up some places to stay hopefully not too expensive.

If everything goes Ok Possibly looking to set out Wednesday evening and in resort before Thurs lunch.

Thanks again

Paul

I've stayed at the Hotel-Garni Jakober in 'Tux' - it's about 6-7 miles from memory to the cable car. Good value and a decent place - dead at night of course - a few restaurants and bars but few people out and about. It was 320e between us - myself and my son - for 4 nights. I'd certainly recommend it no problem.

I've also stayed in Apart-Garni Innerwiesn in Mayrhofen and drove to Tux everyday. It was incredible value - 3 of iu shared a room by accident - one guy booked late and couldn't get in so booked the place next door. The flight was delayed and we arrived at 2 in the morning and the hotelier wouldn't let him in. We had 3 beds in the room so he came in with us. 180 euros between 3 - 20 euros each per night for B and B - and it was brilliant. 10 minute walk into Mayrhofen. Definitely recommend it.

I love Tux - and I as I said on the other thread when you finish skiing go and have a beer in the Hohenhaus Tenne - it's blooming fantastic!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fifespud, 7th and 8th are week days and should be quiet as all the brats ( wink ) are back at school. Depending on the weather the Saturday and Sunday could be very busy, so maybe switch to Tux or Kühtai if Tux has something on as well?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers Sue. And what about the skiable area? Tux definitely beats Saas Fee IMO - how does Stubai compare?
ski holidays
Stubai has more variety and the park rats are banned over the back (on the Gaisskarferner area) so they do not clog up the drags and chairs. Tux is more challenging, at least for me! I enjoy both tremendously to be honest and prefer both of them to all the other glaciers I've skied in my rather long career! Embarassed

If the snow comes s predicted this week it should result in more of the available areas opening up. Tux opened down to Sommerberg at the beginning of the month, I'd love to pay more on the Fernauerferner area for example as well as the Daunjoch area.
snow conditions
Been to tux 25 or more times (all months of the year) and Stubai twice (May or June 03 and July 04), my limited experience at Stubai has in general been disappointing, with the relatively flat terrain and extent of terrain being less than Tux.

Of course it may be different in November.
snow report
JimboS, you were unlucky then! As I said, Stubai more extensive but not as challenging. There is never much open in the summer months on the Stubai area as there is at Hintertux. Flat really can only applied to the approach areas to the Gamsgarten top station which is why the nursery areas are concentrated there!
ski holidays
Stubai was fine last week. runs down to the 'middle station' being prepped for action when I left. Snow quality was good but busy (5-20m waits) on some lifts.

I'm looking to be in Hintertux ( possibly Hotel Kirchlerhof Vorderlanersbach ) this weekend 9-12 Nov. Maybe looking for carshare or accom there. Open for ideas.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy