Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in January - how soon do you book??

Poster: A snowHead
I love skiing in Jan once all the crowds have disperserd - never had a bad week!
But how soon do you book your January week?

We are a group of 6-8. Will almost certainly self drive to France and will only do a catered chalet.
Do we wait for a last minute bargain??

What do you do???
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been booked for about 4 weeks now.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ours has been booked since April Very Happy We know what we want, where we want to go and what we want to pay, plus there's often early booking or lift pass offers - have booked early for the past ten years or so

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 3-11-13 9:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We booked back in July, but with 14 people going then early booking with the offers you can get is the best policy. If there was just two of you and you were flexible on airport and resort then you can get away with later booking, it will all depend on how the early season snow goes....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Booked it last May as didn't want to be put under too much pressure trying to compromise with our group,so booking early everyone is happy. We booked through Mountain Addiction Chatel and the service so far has been very good leading up to the holiday.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Waiting for the snow forecast - will probably book a couple of weeks before - planning for the second week of Jan - I don't think I save money this way but hopefully more confident in the snow conditions - are you wanting a cheap deal or good conditions - or hoping for both Very Happy Johnor
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dippy, there's probably not much point in booking now - worst of both worlds. Too late to be early and far too early to be last minute. If you are flexible about where you go then you can probably afford to wait till the last few weeks. Then you will be able to judge conditions reasonably well. But I suppose you need to be sure that everyone in the group is happy with the tactics.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dippy, Look to book in January, and be prepared to compromise location/chalet size/resort/country/quality. Check where the better snow and better deals match up, be prepared for a change of scenery. Best deals are days before departure.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our guide in St Anton had only one week left for January when I approached him last March!!! So that was when I had to start booking rolling eyes . My main guide (who I use every year) is more relaxed and fixed his bookings for the season in June.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I book 2-3 weeks ahead. Never had any problems getting what I want, where I want, when I want. Mind you, I avoid school hols.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

We are a group of 6-8

With that size of group, it may be better to book sooner rather than later, even in January, to be sure of all getting in the same acommodation, especially in a catered chalet, maybe ok in a hotel.
Just 2 people, flexible on dates, is a no brainer, book friday, tavel saturday!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dippy, I would book sooner rather than later if you have a location criteria to meet.

Later if you do not mind where you go or how close to town you are.

Our B&B has only one room available for a full week in Jan now. Bookings are coming in faster this year than the last two.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dippy, you have a PM
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There will be availability in Jan so I would wait. The villages are empty meaning quite o lot of un-utilised accommodation. The only spare space we had last year in our appartment were 2 weeks in January we couldn't even give away to friends. That's what this school policy does for everyone.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all replies - interesting to see read differing views!
Johnor - Yes, I do prefer to wait to see how snow conditions pan out, and as we self drive have always managed to get a reduced price chalet.
But as we would also consider flying / a package deal - that leaves us with plenty of resorts to choose from. So I am thinking I will sit back on my heels and see what happens!
ski holidays
I booked in September , fly with Ryanair so we watch the prices,. Got a good deal for our group of six. Hired a car, then hired a house. So we are ready. We stopped bringing our skis years ago because my husband loves to try new skis and chop and change till he finds ones he likes, so it works out not much more for advanced skis newly edged, waxed, ready to go. Then leave them back. It also makes it easier to nip off mid week and find a resort and do two days. Very Happy
snow report
For a larger group, booking early tends to be my preference purely because the number of suitable properties is restricted. For 2-4 people, book two days before you go! You get the best deal, and you can be pretty sure of the conditions too. I normally arrange the dates and get the flights well in advance so it's only the accommodation to sort out.

I agree with you about timing - first or second full week in Jan is lovely and quiet.
snow report
Jan this year for both trips- 1 with 10 people, 1 with 36 people. Basically as soon as we get back the next trip is being sorted by end of Feb Cool
snow conditions
Just booked group one for 10 for Feb 1st catered chalet & got in quite easily. Also wanting to go at Christmas but just 2 of us so really going to try hold out booking until the very last minute to see if wee can pick up a bargain. We usually only book 3-4 weeks before if its just the 2 of us & have even been known to do it 2 days before Very Happy
snow report
Always booked January about 2 weeks before going. Always got a good deal, but sadly those days are gone. Ski Olympic full price is more expensive in January than March. When I asked them why they said it's more snow sure in jan than March and it's easier to sell Jan holidays these days.
ski holidays
NE1, I think the Russian new year has also had an impact on January sales, especially in France. Quite a few Russian charter flights coming in at weekends now
snow report
Dippy, I booked my Jan trip in May snowHead

I like to secure exactly what I want ASAP, and then I can spend all summer looking forward to it
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy