Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family summer mountains trip near Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we're looking to do a summer trip to the mountains with kids and have booked (relatively!) cheap flights to Salzburg. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to go? I am rather bewildered by the choice...
Ideally looking for somewhere we can reach by public transport from Salzburg, and where we can also get around without a car. Kids are pre-teens and we would like to do a mixture of hiking/views/swimming/relaxing, as well as some slightly more adrenaline things like a zip wire or via ferrata.
So far I have looked at Zell-am-see (a lot to do, but all quite spread out and relatively expensive), Bad Gastein (zip wire & spa, but not sure if there is much else there for kids as seems a bit more aimed at older crowd?), St Johann im Pongau (affordable accommodation seems quite remote, so not sure we will manage without a car), Saalbach (a bit too far to get to?)...
Would really appreciate any first hand recommendations.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't been, but when I was looking at something similar, a common shout out was the Salzkammergut area
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Getting around is quite easy on public transport.
Get a train from Salzburg to Zell-am-see. You could stay outside of Zell am see. Maishofen for example (train from Salzburg about 15 euro) & can get bus into Zell southwards or bus to Saalbach Westwards - both about 20mins & a few euros per person.
Might need to add up all that public transport costs though, as it may work out cheaper to hire a car as return trips each day could add up to 25 euro per day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lyzhnik, You can get to pretty much anywhere in Austria with public transport. Even when there is not a train station there will be buses which almost always run on time no need for a car. Look at https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/ for details (its in English and there will be an app for booking tickets etc). Not sure St Johann would be ideal it is more of a valley town, though easy to get to from Salzburg. I would have thought Saalbach would be good (as easy to get to as Zell, either bus from Salzburg airport or get the train to Maishofen with connecting buses) there is lots to do around the valley. I would agree that the Gasteinertal is focused on spas etc but still plenty of things for kids to do and direct train connection from Salzburg (its probably further than Saalbach). The Salzkammergut area is popular with all the lakes etc but maybe you might prefer somewhere quieter. There are so many options it is difficult to suggest one place over another. If you have any thoughts about staying one night in a hut then look at taking out membership of the Austrian Alpine Club (there is a british section and they do family memberships) it also includes insurance which would cover zip wires, via ferrata etc which your standard holiday insurance might not do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@lyzhnik, if you're looking at the Salzkammergut area then fellow snowHead flangesax's place in Radstadt is a nice place to stay. There's a good value transfer available to their place from Salzburg airport with taxi huber and once you're there Radstadt has both bus services and a train station for getting around. https://austrian-adventures.com/

I would also recommend fellow snowHeads' Cacciatore and Scuss in Boots place in Bad Ischl, Landhaus Fay, however it is located in a small village a couple of kms from Bad Ischl itself and would be tricky to get around much without a car.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink, I don't think taxi humber does shared transfers in the summer any more...well they didn't last time I looked. Worth checking
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Alastair Pink, I don't think taxi humber does shared transfers in the summer any more...well they didn't last time I looked. Worth checking

Thanks for that info, worth checking as you say. Although I'm not sure the OP wanted to go to Hull.... Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, lol
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you get the Salzburger summer card it gives you free or discounted entry to all sorts. Ice caves, salt mines. Gorge walks, swimming lakes and pools.
There is so much to do, the problem is deciding.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stay in Saalbach or Hinterglemm. Very easy to get to from Salzburg, either by train or bus to Zell am See, then a short bus-ride up the valley to S-H. If taking the 260 bus from the airport, you change at the crossroads outside Maishofen, just before Zell - the driver will tell you where and direct you to the Saalbach bus stop which is under the bridge at the crossroads.

Saalbach has cable cars, hiking, mountain biking, e-bikes, swimming, Europe's largest "Go Ape"-style park, canyoning, zip-wires, scenery, mountain huts and more. If you stay in a participating hotel or apartment, you'll receive a free Joker Card, which gives free access to the cable cars, the outdoor pool, the museum, the noddy-train at the end of the valley and discounts elsewhere. It also gives free use of the buses in Pinzgau, so you can take the bus to Zell an See to the lake, travel to the Krimml waterfalls on the steam train, or go to nearby Kitzsteinhorn (3,000m) for the amazing views of the glacier and the surrounding mountains. The Tourist Office website (Saalbach.com) has all the info you need.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 21-02-23 15:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
also free bus journeys I think. https://issuu.com/salzburgerland/docs/slc_folder?e=33787662/67226944

Flachau might be an option - . https://www.flachau.com/en/summer

we have 2 swimming lakes, the Therme Amade for indoor pools, zip wire, organised hiking (free with the summercard)

https://www.acs-alpincenter.com/ for lots of ourdoors stuff

get a flachau summercard from the accomodation or at the tourist office and the 522 bus between flachauwinkl and radstadt is 1 euro each and you get one ascent and descent on the starjet llift
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@lyzhnik

I would also recommend fellow snowHeads' Cacciatore and Scuss in Boots place in Bad Ischl, Landhaus Fay, however it is located in a small village a couple of kms from Bad Ischl itself and would be tricky to get around much without a car.

Thank you for the recommendation, Alastair Pink Very Happy

Without a car, I’d agree. We’re probably not an ideal option.

I would recommend Bad Ischl for access to the Salzkammergut. The public transport via bus and train is excellent and many attractions in the region are easily accessed. Bad Ischl is about 1hr 15 mins by bus from the airport.

Have a look at https://www.salzkammergut.at/aktivitaeten/sommer.html for an idea of what the area has to offer. E-bike hire is also something I’d look at - several stunning lakes are easy to reach (within a 1 - 2 hour ride). The majority of the lakes (there are 76) are drinking water quality. Loads of mountain hikes of differing difficulty, historic towns like Hallstatt (20 mins by train), salt mines, mountain railways (Schaffberg), boat trips, castles etc etc.

Summer season can get busy but there are many places one can find plenty of quieter options. Avoid mid-August if possible. Kaiser Woche is the busiest week of the year in Bad Ischl! Unless you enjoy a bit of pageantry!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Cacciatore, is there not a bus that goes up your road from Bad Ischl? I can't remember, but that would surely make you super-accessible and nicer than staying in town (or pretty much anywhere else, IMHO!)
I'm asking for a friend who is thinking of visiting sans car, btw. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
quinton wrote:
you change at the crossroads outside Maishofen, just before Zell - the driver will tell you where and direct you to the Saalbach bus stop which is under the bridge at the crossroads.

may as well get off at maishofen,as the same bus stops at Maishofen station you would need to get on at the crossroads!!!
I know OP said Zell was expensive, and possibly the same for Saalbach. Staying in Maishofen would give equal access to both resorts (might be a bit cheaper to stay in that area) & maybe easier to go a bit further like Kaprun or Leogang
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle wrote:
@Cacciatore, is there not a bus that goes up your road from Bad Ischl? I can't remember, but that would surely make you super-accessible and nicer than staying in town (or pretty much anywhere else, IMHO!)
I'm asking for a friend who is thinking of visiting sans car, btw. wink

Hurtle, sadly, the bus service was discontinued during Covid lockdown times and doesn’t look likely to be reinstated. There is a regular service from Grazer Str (bottom of our road and just under 2km)….however, for special friends, or friends of friends wink , we will happily drop folk down to the bus stop or to the Bahnhof and pick up….or sometimes take them out for the day Little Angel Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

may as well get off at maishofen,as the same bus stops at Maishofen station you would need to get on at the crossroads!!!

The #260 Salzburg to Zell am See bus does not go into Maishofen village - it stays on the main road to Zell, so if travelling by bus from Salzburg you have to change at the Maishofen crossroads for the Saalbach connection.

The Zell to Saalbach bus does not stop at the station at Maishofen - it turns around in the village centre about 400m away -and Maishofen station is only a small halt that is not served by many trains (which is why the bus does not go there).

If travelling by train from Salzburg, it is better to get off at Zell am See and get the Saalbach bus from directly opposite the station.

Staying in Maishofen will no doubt be cheaper than in Zell am See or Saalbach - but that's because it is a tiny village with not much going on. Without a car your options are limited - hourly buses are reliable and serve both Zell and Saalbach, but you're totally reliant on the bus to get anywhere, and these stop running quite early in the evening.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 21-02-23 17:52; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@Cacciatore, ah, that's a shame. The friend in question is reluctant to use you as a taxi service.
ski holidays
@lyzhnik, Plus one for Flachau but then I live here! If you DM me with your "affordable accommodation" perameters I might be able to help. We have apartments in Wagrain available for Summer rental and the local Sportwelt Summer Card comes with daily free entry into the Waterworld 200m away. See here:

https://www.wagrain-kleinarl.at/de/entdecken/gaestekarte-pia.html

Flachau has a Rodelbahn, Mountain Carts, all sorts of Bike Hire and the rest. Wargrain/Kleiarl opens up some great walks, Lakes and Kletterstieg.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 21-02-23 18:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Go for a place with a good visitor card. We passed through Zell am See a few years ago and we used the visitor card to give us a ride up and dpwn the Kitzsteinhorn on the gondola and a bus up the Maiskogel and we walked back down again
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@Cacciatore, ah, that's a shame. The friend in question is reluctant to use you as a taxi service.

Then tell your friend that they should balance that with the pure joy of us seeing them. Besides, we often drive into town for all sorts of reasons!
snow report
@Cacciatore, Very Happy x
ski holidays
@lyzhnik, I can offer centrally located accommodation in Saalbach. No Joker card though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy