Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Madonna di Campilignio

Poster: A snowHead
After 3 years of skiing in France, I've managed to move the group ski holiday back to Italy. We're off to Madonna di Campilignio in January, staying in the Hotel Italo.

I noticed the lift pass covers Passo Tonale and Ponte di Legno. Does anyone know if it's easy to get across to Passo from Madonna di Campilignio?

Cheers,
SM.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi SM

I skied there in March this year. TBH I had no idea that PT and PdL where anywhere close at all. There was no talk of them, no mention on piste maps and no obvious links. I see from the map that they are close, but my completely ignorant guess is that you get there and back by a one hour bus journey. Tolerable, but.......why bother? Whi didn't have the full lift pass. Ours didn't even include Folgarida and Marrilleva and we didnt really need them. Might have been nice for a day or so if viz is good.

FZ
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sugarmoma666, I've always fancied Madonna di Campiglio (note spelling) but never been there. Descriptions of Passo Tonale, on the other hand, always sound unappealing! Hope you have a good holiday - do a trip report we don't get many from there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sugarmoma666, i don't think it's properly connected. I think we explored the furthest reaches we could reach last time I was there and that wasn't a reach we could reach. But that was Jan 2012.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sugarmoma666, from memory there is a bus that goes from MdC to Passo mid-week, but nope the areas are not otherwise connected. I've been to both and personally would not bother with a day trip to Passo/Ponte; the MdC area has at least 5 distinct areas to try (assuming you buy the relevant ski pass) so in a 6 day ski week you're not going to get bored. And the skiing is much better in MdC than Passo. Its a v enjoyable ski area and ski town too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They are actually quite far apart. Some friends went to PT when with us two years ago, we didn't bother. They came back wishing they hadn't either. The snow and slopes are better in MdC.

TBH between MdC, Pinzolo, maralleva, and folgardia which are all proparly linked, the linked area is big anyway

We love it and are back for forth year in a row in January. Enjoy !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for the replies guys. I should have said that we've been to Passo Tonale before, so know what it's like. We went while we were learning, so would now quite like to go and "finish off" the resort and see how our skiing has improved. In particular, I fancy skiing the Prescena glacier this time, rather than just going up there for lunch and the view.

Passo was a great place for new skiers, as it has a good balance between price and being pretty snow sure, with good runs to progress through.

Anyway, back to the original question, does anyone know how often and when the bus runs between the resorts?

Cheers,
SM.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fair enough, although that's exactly the same reason they wanted to go back. Best left to the beginners I think.

I'm afraid I don't know when the bus runs, we had a car
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
email the tourist office and ask them : info@campigliodolomiti.it
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ishay, we are going 28/12 for a week over NY. Educated guess on what the crowd factor is likely to be?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ishay wrote:
They are actually quite far apart. Some friends went to PT when with us two years ago, we didn't bother. They came back wishing they hadn't either. The snow and slopes are better in MdC.

TBH between MdC, Pinzolo, maralleva, and folgardia which are all proparly linked, the linked area is big anyway

We love it and are back for forth year in a row in January. Enjoy !

Good to hear that you've enjoyed it enough to go back. Any tips about bits not to miss would be much appreciated. Also, any suggestions on ski hire? As far as I can see Planet Ski is the closest to the Hotel Italo.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My ski instructor recommended ski planet to get my skis serviced so must have a good reputation, there are lots of hire shops though and there is a hire shop at the Spinale gondola base
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi, I've not been in that week but from what I've heard the crowd factor will be... Russian. It's very popular with Russians that week and the week after. Don't get me wrong that'd be a positive for me, I like the lack of Brits (it makes me feel like I'm on holiday!)

As for crowds I suspect it'll be quiter than the alps. I always go mid-Jan and even by off peak standards it's lovely and quiet then.

sugarmoma666, depends what you like of course. Its a great cruiser resort with some great long reds all over to improve on. If you like blacks then Amazonia 6 and 28/29 over by Maralleva are great. Went with some Canadians who said those tree lined runs reminded them of Whistler. The new black above 5 laghi is also cool and it nice to ski into the fixed stadium at the tre tre (closest I'll get to finishing a WC race). The only really challenging black is the one down off spinale. The bottom of it (the Schumacker run, after the F1 legend who fell on it) is the only bit of the resort that scares me.

DO avoid the blue coming off the bottom of Groste. It's the longest flat walk you'll ever injure.

I love the pizza at the bottom of Belvedere. And up top, Cafe Fiat at the top of Spinale is a must. The food at the top of 5 laghi is good too. Oh and Folgarida side there's a great pizza place up top too, but I don't know the name of it, which doesn't help much!

Which week are you there? 11th Jan is vroom week when the Ferrari and Ducatti teams are there. All sorts goes on but the ice race is the best bit. 18th is Winter Marathon with hundreds of classic cars racing around the roads. Don't miss the start
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was there 2nd week of Jan 2013 and whilst resort was fairly busy, with a hi prop of Russians, barely saw a queue. Imagine new year week will be busier but then again rush hour in Italy starts just 10...

Agree with ishay re that Schumacher run, bit icy on that final steep pitch and v iffy. Best black imv is over at Pinzolo, right the way down to valley floor w a brand new gondola to recover in, hardly anyone on it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does it ever get busy? We went Feb half-term last year and most of the time there were no queues, with only a couple of hot spots with 5 minute hold-ups. Agree with the rest, the area has more than enough mileage for a week especially with little gems like the runs over Pinzolo.
ski holidays
Quote:

My ski instructor recommended ski planet to get my skis serviced so must have a good reputation

or it's run by his brother.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666, PT is about a 40-minute bus ride from MdC. Personally, having done it, I wouldn't bother.

There is plenty to keep one happy in MdC and the skiing at PT (IMO) is dull by comparison (the town doesn't come anywhere near MdC, either).

I've not stayed in MdC - Folgarida being where I have been on 2 occasions. If you do a forum search in resort reviews and Trip Reports there is some useful info including one or two recommendations for restaurants stops on the mountain.
latest report
Sorry - missed the post where you said you'd been to PT...you won't be disappointed with MdC Very Happy
snow report
Sadly Vroom has been cancelled in 2014. It's a real shame, as I'd have loved to bump into Cal Crutchlow on the slopes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy