Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3rd party risk insurance for skiers

Poster: A snowHead
Over the years I have been a member of either local (town) ski clubs or latterly a national ski club.
My skiing is in Scotland, taking odd day opportunities to put the skis and boots in the car and head to the slopes, additionally if the snow Gods are kind, enabling me to ski in the local hills which are not the recognised Scottish ski resorts.
Whilst my club memberships were active I had the comfort of being covered by 3rd party risk liability insurance should I have the misfortune to get it wrong while skiing.
Ski club membership costs have started increasing with a near local club hitting into the three figure sum membership fees.
As I may only get skiing a handful of times I felt I was not getting much for my membership.
Therefore, does anyone know of an insurance company/broker who could arrange 3rd party liability cover for skiers such as myself?

Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
big davski, Is it possible to get a direct membership with Snowsport Scotland or Snowsport England ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you not have sufficient 3rd party liability through your household insurance - most policies will cover you for recreational sport, but commonly not if competing or acting in a professional capacity. Worth checking before forking out more money?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
3rd party liability for what? Are you planning to damage someone's property?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, if you ski into someone and injure them, third party would cover the costs if they sued the living bejesus out of you - like car insurance, and just like car insurance you don't need to be at fault for someone to make life incredibly difficult.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
your winter sports insurance will include third party liability, surely?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
big davski, Find a cheaper club ? Aberdeen and Arbroath are just £15 a year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mistress Panda, the simple answer to that is to look where you are going...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not entirely sure you can insure against negligence. You'd need to check how the UK is with punitive damages as well - I'm not sure if you need to worry about that in practice. What were you planning on doing? For normal people I think your house insurance cover should suffice.

Winter Sports Insurance? My risk is less than yours, I've no reason to pool with anyone. Ride safely.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, you can look where you are going all you like, if someone else decides you were at fault and takes you to court, you are on your own. Many people choose to insure themselves against that kind of risk when it could cost them their house.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Check your winter sports insurance policy - some provide third party liability cover, but some don't. Also check your home insurance policy. I have an Aviva policy provides third party liability cover and does not exclude winter sports.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds like a load of American-style blame culture to me. Piste collisions must be a pretty rare event, and I can only envisage cases where someone deliberately skis into someone else (i.e. not accidental) and entirely filmed with a GoPro as proof likely to ever get as far as court. Cyclists and horse riders don't have liability insurance do they? Far more likely to cause damage to someone else and/or their property.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've a friend who was hit by a freelance ski instructor who was rushing to his next client - he 'caught an edge' - she was very seriously hurt and apart from the repatriation costs she required care for a number of years and its still on-going - after long legal proceedings his 3rd party liability covered the costs.
Car collisions are quite rare - but responsible people make sure they are covered - I am not here to preach but people need to understand that insurance is not just to cover their lost baggage.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Cyclists and horse riders don't have liability insurance do they?

lots do. the wise ones. Marinas generally require proof of third party insurance cover before they will give a boat a permanent mooring. queen bodecia, you don't have to deliberately hurt somebody to be found liable!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia wrote:
Cyclists and horse riders don't have liability insurance do they? Far more likely to cause damage to someone else and/or their property.

Of course they do, as do dog owners!
ski holidays
queen bodecia, I admire your belief that there needs to be some evidence for a case to get to court, incurring thousands of pounds in lawyers fees. Even if you win, it can cripple many people financially before it even gets there. Consider the number of claims made against drivers in which details of accidents are entirely falsified, imaginary passengers appear, personal injuries are exaggerated or invented altogether. Where there is greed, there are people who will try and exploit others for their own financial gain.

Other option is something you might do, like putting your skis down somewhere, which causes an accident. Someone might pursue you over that, even if you thought you were being sensible, someone else and a court might not. Nothing to do with American-style blame culture, I have seen people do some extraordinarily stupid things that have caused a significant financial loss for someone else, and they should be accountable for this. That is what the court is there to sort out, and why we have insurance.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Cyclists and horse riders don't have liability insurance do they?

lots do. the wise ones. Marinas generally require proof of third party insurance cover before they will give a boat a permanent mooring. queen bodecia, you don't have to deliberately hurt somebody to be found liable!

Loads of horse owners have public liability cover particular if they let others ride their horses!!!
And deliberate acts are excluded under public liability covers as it has to be a fortuitous/accidental event which causes bodily injury death or damage. However, PL policies in the UK, will only indemnify you for events where you are legally liable but that could include successful defence costs in an action brought against you by a third party for negligence, such as crashing into someone on a ski slope amongst other things.
snow conditions
Thanks for the responses folks. Having been skiing since the mid '70's it is not my intention to start crashing into peopler or property. Historically my ski club membership has included such risk cover. As I have become a non-club member I was wondering if and where I might be able to purchase in effect the insurance element of a club membership.
I will check my household insurance policy but I doubt it will cover skiing activities.
Incidentally, I have such cover when cycling via cycling club nembership.
The low cost ski clubs mentioned are tempting, thanks.
snow report
big davski, do you not have travel insurance with winter sports cover? Many - maybe most - will include third party cover.
latest report
big davski wrote:
Thanks for the responses folks. Having been skiing since the mid '70's it is not my intention to start crashing into peopler or property. Historically my ski club membership has included such risk cover. As I have become a non-club member I was wondering if and where I might be able to purchase in effect the insurance element of a club membership.
I will check my household insurance policy but I doubt it will cover skiing activities.
Incidentally, I have such cover when cycling via cycling club nembership.
The low cost ski clubs mentioned are tempting, thanks.

I haven't checked but I suspect that the ski pass add on insurance ( Carte Neige etc) in France et al probably includes this kind of cover as well as free recovery to the bottom of the piste.
snow report
pam w, mishmash, he says he is skiing odd days in Scotland, so probably doesn't have travel insurance which would cover it (I'm pretty sure our annual policy doesn't cover a day-trip to Glenshee), and I've never been offered insurance at a Scottish ticket office.

big davski, where are you based? As well as the clubs mentioned above, Blairgowrie Club is not expensive either.
snow report
I'm in Argyll.
snow conditions
big davski, Where do you normally ski, if it is Glencoe they have a ski club. Here is a list of ski clubs from Snowsport Scotland http://www.snowsportscotland.org/panels/join-a-club/3, I can understand your reluctance to pay a large sum for a few days skiing but as Yellow Pyranha, says Blairgowrie Ski Club is reasonable and I know Perth is also.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 1-11-13 20:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Yellow Pyranha, ah, sorry, I'd managed to miss that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy