Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba Last Week In Feb

Poster: A snowHead
We've got the option of going away last week in Feb (22nd) and then possibly again last 2 weeks in March. We love Arabba and I noticed this year it is half term 15th Feb onwards. what are the Dolomites like during half term? I've only experienced one half term, that was in France and vowed never again, but if this is our only option then just wondering what it will be like for crowds ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry can't answer your question but I was interested in your advice off the best/closest airport serving Arabba and insight in where to stay, cheers
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've always flown in to Innsbruck and traveled by coach to resort. Stayed at Evaldo and Sporthotel. Loved both. Although Sporthotel is as good as ski in/ski out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Busy time in Italy is the Carnevale week in February - this is often at the same time as our half term school holidays. However I have been three times ( Arabba, Canezei and Kronplatz ) when the two holidays clashed. It was nothing like as busy as the big French ski sheds get, don't get me wrong it was busy but not unbearable. Also the transfers in from Venice and Treviso were not up to the mess you can get in heading to Bourg St Maurice etc at half term.

Innsbruck is probably the closest airport for Arabba, we did fly into Bolzano once, this was even closer but was not an option any more last time I looked.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just checked and Carnevale is 12th Feb 2013, so looks like the 22nd Feb would be a good week to go Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maloney~888, Any week is a good week to go Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Innsbruck is probably the closest airport for Arabba

Venice is much more convenient though. Direct bus from both Venice and Treviso airports to Arabba (check the s10BB thread - the dolomitistars bus service is linked there I think)

edit: the bus service is here... (but there's plenty of discussion about it on the BB thread)...
http://dolomitistars.dolomiti.org/index.cfm/transfer-eng/

Similar bus from Innsbruck, but that one goes to Selva and Ortisei.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 19-10-13 17:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I've only experienced one half term, that was in France and vowed never again

in France, our half term week is always a French holiday week too, that's the problem.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CP wrote:
Maloney~888, Any week is a good week to go Toofy Grin

Too true. But unless anyone confirms otherwise 22nd Feb is looking good regarding less crowds.

pam w wrote:
in France, our half term week is always a French holiday week too, that's the problem

We love skiing the French alps, just not too keen on queues/crowds Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Advice much appreciated, I'm off to check sky scanner, just one more though when does the season in Arraba run to roughly, Easter too much to hope for?!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have been at half term for the last 5 years. - apart from getting on the valley lifts at eg Dantercepies and a bit of a queue at Armerenterola for the buses up to the hidden valley lift, haven't had to wait more than 5/10 mins for a lift and most I just walk onto. Loads better than France
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pjd wrote:
Have been at half term for the last 5 years. - apart from getting on the valley lifts at eg Dantercepies and a bit of a queue at Armerenterola for the buses up to the hidden valley lift, haven't had to wait more than 5/10 mins for a lift and most I just walk onto. Loads better than France

Hey thanks. That's great to know. Itchy trigger finger on the booking. Just waiting for our friends to confirm the week that they can go out to the Dolomites for their first time (I'm sure it wont be their last) Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do not mean to hijack your thread, but hope I may ask something quickly and figure advice will be helpful all ways.
We are a few families booked into Portovescova hotel Arabba 15 to 22 Feb, so glad to hear its not too busy.
We are flying into Venice early in the morning on 15th - could anyone recommend transfer company for 16pax please? Dolomite stars not convenient times for us.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lizski, depending on your flight times the Dolomiti Stars shuttle is the cheapest way to get from the Venice airports and was pretty good when I used them. The times for this season are here http://dolomitistars.dolomiti.org/uploads/Pagine/ORARI%20TRANSFER%2020132014%20EN.pdf
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 on not too busy - we've been 3 or 4 times at half-term and it's fine

+1 too for the dolomitistars service and flying to Venice.
snow report
lizski, As others have said, the dolomitistars transfer is the best value (it's subsidised by the Arabba accommodation owners). However if the first transfer which goes at 12:00 is too long a wait for you with your early arrival into the airport then I can recommend Venice Cabs for a private transfer (I together with some friends used them for a transfer to Colfosco in March this year, and we were met on arrival and had a good efficient transfer). You'll see from their rates that they quote a vehicle rate for up to 8 passengers to Arabba of 220 Euros (i.e 27.50 Euros per person). Presumably they would need to provide 2 such vehicles for your group of 16 (unless they are able to provide one larger vehicle - best to enquire). For your return journey from Arabba is the Dolomitistars transfer OK? - they leave Arabba at either 6:15 or 11:50.

Hope this helps Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Alastair Pink, I'm assuming that is each way, not the return fare (if it is in line with other taxis I've used).
ski holidays
Thanks so much for the advice. Dolomitistars look like great value, but we arrive at 09h00 already, and with a bunch of lively kids would rather get going sooner.
As for the departure Saturday we spend few days more in Venice and would love to still ski a full day and then leave for Venice. I will definately email Venice cabs and get a quote.
snow report
snowball wrote:
Alastair Pink, I'm assuming that is each way, not the return fare (if it is in line with other taxis I've used).

Yes, that is the one-way fare.
ski holidays
Just received an email from a new (?) transfer company; http://www.alpine-transfer-company.com/ Or has anyone come across them before?
latest report
We are two families who have been going to Arabba every Feb half-term for the last four years (and booked again for next Feb). We love it because you rarely queue for the lifts, the food is cheap and very good and the scenery is stunning. We always stay at the Hotel Alpenrose at the top of the resort. It's a lovely hotel, reasonably priced with great food and very friendly staff. Also ski-in, ski-out. I rate it higher than the Sport Hotel (where I have also stayed).

We fly to Venice and use Taxi Vico for transfers - nowhere as cheap at the resort transfers, but no hanging around and they are very reliable.
http://www.taxivico.it/dev/index_EN.php

We fly home late on the Saturday so that we can ski in the morning and have lunch before leaving.

I hope you give Arabba a go - you will love it!
snow report
FionaG, what's the approx. price you pay, if you don't mind me asking. Just looking at other transfer options for flexibility and most private transfers are very expensive. Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy