Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fall Line Skiing magazine is no more...

Poster: A snowHead
...it's now Fall Line Skiing and Snowboarding magazine.

This (the last issue of the season) turned up on my doorstep this morning. After a quick read, not sure whether I'll bother to renew my subscription. There's not too much snowboard specific stuff, but enough to annoy me!

Let's hope they realise the error of their ways before next season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
supernaut, ah ha... thought something had changed.... time to cancel the sub?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It would be like opening your Nuts or Zoo magazine and finding a section devoted to fellas in speedos
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's a shame. I guess designed to be a way of retaining Document Snowboard advertisers. So that's Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard, Ski & Board, Skier & Snowboarder... all once just ski mags and then deciding to go after the dark side. Doesn't work.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This will not end well
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually it's not that bad. I think the the boarders are the ones who have been screwed here.

My 2 years was up in any case. Have to see what the joining offer is next year. Eldest sprog still loves his Scott goggles from last time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Awesome, as both a skier and snowboarder, suits me perfectly Happy

After all, we're all SnowHeads rather than SkiHeads Happy

Si
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fishslice wrote:
Awesome, as both a skier and snowboarder, suits me perfectly Happy

After all, we're all SnowHeads rather than SkiHeads Happy

Si

so do you wear speedos?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fishslice, actually I think you'll find that most folks around these here parts are two plankers. We all have friends and family from the dark side of course (like one particular product of my loins) but it's still "us and them" regardless of what any pc slider says. From a magazine or website perspective it's my view that they are two different sports and the idea that skiers dabble with a bit of boarding or vice versa just doesn't compute. You pay four quid for a mag and £1.50 of that isn't aimed at you. Doomed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AND AND AND worst still, Mine came without the free stickers Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just flicked through my copy...
Its basically still Fall-Line with a few token snowboarders in it.
And a horrible pink cover.

At end of the day most magazines are funded by adverting and sponsorship.
So covering all bases makes sense when times are tight financially.
However it would be a shame if the UKs best mainstream freeski magazine got watered down by this change.
Things like Daily Mail / Ski & Board simply dont cut the mustard.
(and can imagine any Document readers aren't too happy about the changes either!)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

but it's still "us and them" regardless of what any pc slider

dangly bits is it. There's always friendly banter, but I've never met any decent skier or boarder who actually has a problem with the other sport - at the very minimum we have a hatred of blades in common.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller wrote:
fishslice, actually I think you'll find that most folks around these here parts are two plankers. We all have friends and family from the dark side of course (like one particular product of my loins) but it's still "us and them" regardless of what any pc slider says.

Rubbish.

I think the "divide" between skiers and snowboarders is mainly an artificial one dreamed up by the media.

I have frequently skied in groups witha mixture of boarders and skiers (and even a full time blader on one trip), and while there has been occasional light hearted banter, I have never seen any evidence of anybody in those groups realy caring what is on anybody else's feet.

Quote:

From a magazine or website perspective it's my view that they are two different sports and the idea that skiers dabble with a bit of boarding or vice versa just doesn't compute. You pay four quid for a mag and £1.50 of that isn't aimed at you. Doomed.

They are fundamentally the same sport, just with some aspects which are slightly different. The main place where there will be anything different is in the "Technique" section of the mag. Which accounts for maybe a dozen pages.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, fair enough, but that doesn't mean I want to spend £4(?) on a magazine that's catering to skiers and snowboarders. Bad mistake on their part, IMO. I think they were already targeting too small a section of the skiing community and this will just compound that problem. Shame - I've been reading the mag since around #9 and I'll be sad to let it go.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney, I disagree. There's also substantial coverage of ski gear, articles on up-and-coming skiers, the WTF section on a spectacular ski photo etc. Obviously these will all work with boarder equivalents but it could represent a significant change in emphasis.
snow conditions
alan empty, I agree it's a shame that the magazines have merged, I'll be more reluctant to buy Fall Line in the future.

My point was that there really is no 'us and them' attitude - it's all been dreamed up by the media. In reality (apart from some Americans, who, surprise surprise, are retardedly intolerant) all it's ever been was friendly banter.
ski holidays
Quote:

The main place where there will be anything different is in the "Technique" section of the mag.

alex_heney, technique is clearly an issue, some resorts are better for boarders, the personalities differ, clothing is differentiated (if not that different), culture is different, generally the demographic is different and that will have an influence over mag design, use of language, content etc. There's lots of pages where mass compromise will have to be made and people are uncompromising even where four quid is concerned. No, they are not fundamentally the same.

Quote:

There's always friendly banter, but I've never met any decent skier or boarder who actually has a problem with the other sport

clarky999, me neither (although I wouldn't say "never"), but that doesn't stop it being us and them from a media perspective.
snow conditions
clarky999, I don't disagree but I think Bode Swiller's point wasn't that there are 2 antagonistic camps but that there are 2 pretty separate camps.
ski holidays
Which he's explained better than I could Smile
latest report
alan empty, there'll be a fiver in the usual place.
snow report
By the way... I suspect they've sneaked the snowboarder aspect in at the tail end of this season to see what the reaction is. Better the backlash now than at the start of next season. I bet you all 50p (total payout regardless of number of takers) that it's back to just being a ski mag in September.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader wrote:
AND AND AND worst still, Mine came without the free stickers Sad

+1
latest report
Ah, I get what you mean Bode Swiller. Hope you're right that they keep 'em seperate, maybe falline (sp?) will read it on here...
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
At end of the day most magazines are funded by adverting and sponsorship.
So covering all bases makes sense when times are tight financially.

Looking forward to "Falline Ski Board Bike Climb Kite Kayak Jump" next season to be honest.
snow conditions
What is "Fall Line Skiing [and Snowboarding] magazine"? Does it really exist? Where is it sold? I have looked in magazine shops and never seen it. Must admit that it was last winter when I looked, because it seemed to be a mythical magazine I gave up and have not looked this winter.
latest report
Adrian, I usually pick up a copy from WH Smith, but I do see it in newsagents occasionally.
snow conditions
it would be like a mountain bike magazine doing roadie stuff aswell...

whereas i don't really care about the ski snowboard divide, mainly as theres plenty about sking thats just as bad. I don't really want to pay to read about people and kit that i have no interest in.
snow conditions
Fair comment papasmurf, as a boarder i've got no real interest in what the 2010 skiboots are this season. Good luck to fallliner with the mag though - 'tis tough times in the magazine business, and there seems to be some chagrin out there rolling eyes , hope it's all just bluster.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sign o the times and all that I suppose a broad church winter sports mag, won't appeal as much as dedicated ones, that don't have the circulations to sustain..

though it may all be storm in a teacup stuff, till something is actually confirmed.
latest report
Got mine this morning and I don't see any problem with it to be honest, if anything there's more in the magazine anyway, the snowboard bits are pretty small and I have no objection to reading a wee bit of info about boarding (will be giving it a go for BASI anyway).

On the latter I'm not sure this is going to attract many snowboarders to the mag if that's the intention because the vast majority of content is still skiing biased.

My only worry is that this move is a sign that the magazine is not selling as well as it needs to so is this the slippery slope to closure? I hope not given what the rest of the UK magazine market is like, as Haggis_Trap says the others "simply dont cut the mustard" which I'd agree very strongly with!

From a skim read of the magazine (which only arrived this morning) I can't quite get a clear picture of what this means for Document Snowboard Mag, is it being amalgamated with Fall-Line, is it carrying on as an independent magazine but with some skiing content added as is happening with Fall-Line or is it just carrying on as before with the only changes to the 2 titles happening to Fall-Line?

Oh, and like other subscribers here my stickers are missing!
ski holidays
I stopped my subscription a few months ago when my 12 months was up. It is a nice mag but concentrates on stuff that isn't of my specific interest. I e-mailed my notice to quit and stopped the DD...but still it drops through my letterbox.
latest report
Does the new mag come with a free supply of roaches and colourful language like "stoked" etc..... wink
ski holidays
roga, Document has ceased and now exists as a website-only 'publication'. I'd imagine they're integrating the core content into Fallline or there are unpublished articles which were being prepped for Document which may as well go into Fallline rather than going to waste. Document was the second UK snowboarding mag to close last year, after Snowboard UK.
snow report
^ Thanks for clarifying that Richard, blimey Document has folded! Shocked

I guess that means Fall-Line must be the stronger of the two titles which is good but let's hope people continue to support it in it's new guise.
latest report
No stickers for me either, properly devastated!

I wasn't too happy to begin with about the addition of the snowboarding stuff, but there's really not a lot in there. Doesn't make too much of a difference, as it doesn't seem to have lost any skiing stuff.
snow report
no sitckers for me either........ Crying or Very sad

did anyone actually get the stickers in their mag?
snow conditions
Roger C yep 2 lots in the two copies in Hitchin WHSmiths that I saw. I am happy with the level of boarding info in there as though I do not board these days it is still of interest and the mag still seems to be mostly focused on Skiing.
snow conditions
Personally I stopped buying it when I realised how biased towards marketing their gear guides are...biggest load of shite around.
ski holidays
I cancelled my DD about six months ago - its all back country stuff now. Its takes all my efforts to ski on the front country ! rolling eyes
latest report
Smokin Joe wrote:
I cancelled my DD about six months ago - its all back country stuff now. Its takes all my efforts to ski on the front country ! rolling eyes
I was going to last year for the same reason but forgot. This seasons has redressed the balanced and it was a good mix. Lets see what next season has to offer Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy