Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April Skiing in Valmeinier or Val Cenis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to organise a trip in April for 3 beginners, 2 early intermediates and me (reasonable).
The beginners have been put off before by high prices involved with skiing, so I'm trying to keep things as low as possible.

Because we are going in April, many of the Austrian resorts I would normally look at for VFM are not open. Out of the higher resorts still open in April Val Cenis and Valmeinier look like they would work for beginners and are likely to be cheaper than 3 Valleys etc (am looking at the Snowcoach hotels). Has anyone been to these resorts in April? Has anyone been to both these resorts to compare them? Have I missed anywhere that could work for us at this time?

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
EdYarker,
tbh probably pushing it with these two in April especially VC .
Mitch
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
EdYarker, one way of combining low costs with high altitude skiing is to do one of the "short breaks" in the Chalet Melezes, Tignes, with Mountainsun.

http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/view/tignes-chalet-hotel-les-melezes

Their prices include transfers from Geneva, half board and lift passes. Tignes would be more dependable in April than Valmeinier (which I have been to, but in January) and there are some excellent ski schools for all levels.

I suppose you could combine 2 short breaks to make one long break if the budget permits!

I have no connection with Mountainsun other than being a satisfied customer. Been there several times, and heading there again in early November.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
IIRC valminier will be a tad slushy in most Aprils do to its orientation. Been about 10 years since I've been there I think the big p&v residences were south facing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EdYarker we did Valmeinier in April about 10 years ago and it was fine for us. Your group might be better off next door at Valloire. Don't completely rule out Austria or Italy for VFM. Pick your resort. If there is a glacier, there is likely to be some skiing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
EdYarker, we've done both valmeinier a couple of times and Val cenis I've lost count, both with Snowcoach, we were in Val cenis on the last week of the season this year mid April and could ski top to bottom without rock hopping although it was an exceptional year we have always managed to ski home, as it's north facing It's the better bet imv, there's also a free bus up to bonneval which is higher should things warm up. The queues at valmeinier can get very busy, the main blue coming into the town should there still be snow left also gets very crowded, you can go over to valloire but it can be a trek if the run down to the lifts have gone for the season, whereas Val cenis you would be very unlucky to ever have to queue and all the village areas and ski area are at a similar height and on the same side of the valley so is easy to get around, the staff at the alpazur have been fantastic over the years too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have been to Val Cenis the last 2 years, and this year was really good at Easter, very good spring skiing.
Last year was pants (as was most of Europe) but they kept the main resort runs open all week, just some of the tree lined linking runs were closed, but l'escagot was open top to bottom Easter 2012.
We rode up to Bonneval for a meal one night, and it was still in the full throes of winter there, shame it was the back end of the week or would have been a good option for a day out.
Here's a bit of video from this Easter(30th May-6th April)

http://youtube.com/v/B43T6nFbYQY

We are there this Easter 11th April which is slightly later than previously, but
'Weather is a great metaphor for life — sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and there's nothing much you can do about it but carry an umbrella.' ~Terri Guillemets

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 8-10-13 22:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
EdYarker, There are 30 days in April and the conditions are likely to change considerably over the month.
I have been twice in April to Val Cenis and in one of those trips visited Valloire and skied a bit over to Valmeinier. I pretty much agree with what gatecrasher, has already said.
On my first visit I went because I had cancelled elsewhere because of poor snow in what was generally a poor snow year particularly in the Southern French alps. Val Cenis was acceptable but a bit scratchy in places with a fair bit closed though you could ski to the bottom with decent man made snow. Conditions up the road at Bonneval were excellent and I spent much of the second week of that visit there.
On my second visit conditions at Val Cenis were excellent, our trip over to Valloire and Valmeinier was enjoyable with decent snow but the snow was not as good as Val Cenis' as it was a bit less north facing.
Overall I would have thought you would be unlucky not to get decent conditions at the beginning of April but if going at the end it is not a massively high resort and conditions may not hold up as well particularly after mid day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all your replies.
I think, in conclusion Val Cenis maybe the best option, but noone can second guess the weather. We would probably be going the weekend of 12th April.
Due to the mixed feedback, I may just revert to type and wait until nearer the time, when I can gauge the conditions and hopefully pick up somewhere at a reduced rate. A risky strategy I know, but there again so is booking in advance for somewhere so late in the season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

gauge the conditions and hopefully pick up somewhere at a reduced rate. A risky strategy I know, but there again so is booking in advance for somewhere so late in the season

it's only risky insofar as you might not get a bargain. In terms of going where the conditions are good, much less risky than booking up now. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All taken in Val Cenis

6 April 2013:

1 April 2012:

26 March 2010:

We'll be there again at Easter next year and I'm sure there will be snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy