Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place for a long weekend....

Poster: A snowHead
....excluding Scotland.

Friday night to Tuesday night. Needs to be a late flight Tuesday so we can get the whole day skiing if possible so maybe a place where a schedule airline runs a number of flights a day.

Late Jan early Feb. Have been thinking Chamonix or Sauz D'Oulx. Both have short transfers and we want to keep length of transfer to a minimum.

Anything I should consider above all else??

Cheers. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Legend., I'd recommend somewhere in the Portes du Soleil or Grand Massif

Lots of flights to Geneva then an easy short transfer in a hire car or minibus
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PDS or Chamonix - but get a hire car for the latter, staying central so you can reach every ski area, making the call as to whih one depending on conditions.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What's the transfer time by car to both of those two then?

I assume a fair bit quicker than Turin to Sauze?

Would like a bit of night life as well....???
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Legend., Transfer in minibus to Morzine about 90 mins, good night life, nice resort, good skiing with access to full PDS. Try http://jollygood.com/Morzine/W_Home.html as normally quite flexible with accommodation
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Geneva to Chamonix is about an hour, same as Turin to Sauze. Great nightlife in Chamonix. Morzine is a bit further than Chamonix but not much. Pretty good for a night out here too although not quite as wild as Cham or Sauze.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone know of any Austrian resorts that are worth looking at with short transfer times?

There is nothing that I am aware of...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Transfer from where? If you fly to Innsbruck - Solden or Obergurgl are around the 1hr mark
I think Selva (OK technically Italy but was Austria at one point Happy) was around the 1hr transfer from memory.

Salzburg also has quite a number with short transfers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Innsbruck?
You can get a funicular or bus or tram right from town up to skiing areas (Patscherkofel, Nordkette,...)
Selva would be a bit far out.

I tend to hop in car to Zillertal (about 45mins), but there are other options (Stubai, Schlick2000, Kuhtai, ...)

Depends what time you can get flights
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Legend.:

- easyjet to Geneva.
- Car hire.
- Valley accommodation at somewhere like Cluses or Sallanches (via Booking.com; Hotels.com or similar).
- Take your pick from Chamonix, Les Houches, Les Carroz/Flaine, Samoens, Chamonix, Combloux/Megeve, Grand Bornand, La Clusaz, Les Gets/Morzine....to name but several possibilities.

On your last day, you could always ski at one of the resorts in the Jura - eg Lelex/Crozet. 15 mins from the airport and the ski area is visible from the runway Very Happy. Smallish ski area but some decent skiing and worth a visit IMO.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We are trying the train option this year. leave London Thursday evening. Change trains in Paris (the eurostar night train only seems to do Friday night but French Corail sleeper goes every night) Overnight from Paris to Bourg St Maurice and arrive at Les Arcs 0740 Friday. Back overnight Sunday leaving 8 ish. 2 nights accomodation for 3 days skiing and free ski carriage. www.snowcarbon.co.uk has lots of info on all things train.

I have also used Munich airport, lots of flights and about 1.5 hrs into Austria, Zillertal, Skiwelt are both good and a lot of others off the Inn valley are in easy reach of the motorway and minibus transfer. Garmisch is even closer and has good train links which can be much cheaper than transfers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Legend., The flight back should not be to much of a problem but the flight out on the Friday might be a bigger problem. I have used the Luton - Geneva flights for weekends in Les Arcs and the Grenoble area, and Luton - Milan for Monterosa. Getting the 21:30 flight back is not a problem apart from teh queuses at Luton passport control but the flight out goes at 18:30 which means that I usually have to have Friday afternoon off as well. I suppose it depends to some extent, possibly the bigger extent, where you live in the UK
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have done lots of great long weekends from Edinburgh to

St Anton
Ischgl
Mayrhofen
Gerlos
Souze
Zermatt
Les Gets
Morzine

We normally take a hire car from the Airport but have taken the train to St Anton. All have been great except for Les Gets as it was the year of no snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks people. Lots of things to investigate over the weekend now snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As well as the other suggestions I've done sestriere, champoluc, alagna, engleberg, les contamines. all 1-2 hours
ski holidays
Legend. wrote:
Anyone know of any Austrian resorts that are worth looking at with short transfer times?

There is nothing that I am aware of...

Bazillion options from Innsbruck.

Nordkette, Axamer Lizum, Schlick2000, Patscherkofel are around 15-30mins from the airport, Stubai Glacier and Kuhtai a little furtherer. St Anton is an hour on the train (plus 5-10 min bus form the airport to train station), Ischgl is about 1.5 hours though the last 20 mins or so is on the bus (from Landeck train station), Serfaus is somewhere in between the two. In the other direction Kitzbuehel, SkiWelt resorts and Zillertal resorts are upto about an hours journey.
snow report
just watch out for the accommodation not wanting to take a long weekend booking. we had problems with that in Iscgl and st Anton in the past so sort the accommodation before booking flights IMO (Chamonix etc is a lot easier as a lot of the clients do this)
snow conditions
Milan to Champoluc. There is a report on this trip for last winter. Sounded doable and great off-piste

Also the commercial operations:
Skiweekender
Skiweekends
Mountainsunltd to La Plagne. I have done this. Great deal but longer transfer (included with CB and lift pass)

Saw that Supertravel had some good deals for weekends for January. Heavily discounted on their usual prices.

Using avios for FlyBe/BA makes it very affordable too wink
ski holidays
that's why I tend to stay outside resort and drive in. The other reason is to have a hotel that'll let me arrive between 23:00 and 02:30 on a Friday night after work.
Doing exactly that in January. Will do the same again in March. Several hotels allow a booking with late cancellation too in case you can't tie up accommodation, flights and snow, although I've only used that once when a huge storm hit Austria.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy