Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instruction - Les Arc 1950

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We’re off to Arc 1950 at half term next year; there are now 25 of us forming a very mixed bag of ability – 5 year olds to 45 year olds.

There appears to be one ski school only at 1950; Spirit.

I was wondering whether anyone had any experience of the School, had heard any feedback or was aware of another school within a sensible distance for stroppy nippers first thing in the morning. Is Arc 2000 a better bet perhaps?

All assistance gratefully received, as usual.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arc 2000 is only seconds from arc 1950 - there's a "yoghurt pot" gondola linking the two, or you could ski down and get the lift back up
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt, ah, good. So we can choose between Spirit at 1950 or ESF at 2000.

Anybody know any instructors to use with either? Which would be better for children etc. etc.?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
marc gledhill, if you're looking for private lessons best book soon, at half-term it's hard to get the ski schools to do private instruction.

I know a couple of the ESF directors in the resort, I can ask for recommendations if you like - and if you already know what you're looking for (hours, times, etc)...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, that's what made me post, I'd seen comments on the other thread.

I was thinking classes for the younger kids (5 to 10 years), but private lesons for the older children (around 12/13 years), one very timid early intermediate, my wife and myself.

The kids and myself could be flexable on dates/times. But the ladies would probably want mornings so they could pick up the younger ones after their morning sessions.

Do you know any decent guides too?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Marc,

Oxygene in La Plagne were great for my 5 (then 4) year old, and they also did me some great off-piste....

http://www.oxygene-ski.com/english/oxygene_atouts.html

For recommended guides try here, there is a guide in Les Arcs

http://www.pistehors.com/links/guides.htm

Good Luck!

Regards,

Greg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, sorry but not been able to speak to the right people yet, should do tonight at the Ski Club AGM, but I haven't forgotten.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, many thanks. I've got the crowd we're going with around at our house on Saturday, so it would be great to pass on the details to them.

Hopefully early in the evening, before we descend into a booze addled state. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No Brit instructors at ESF Arc 2000, I do know one guy who speaks very good English there, and who is more geared to the better skiers rather than beginners - Philippe Genin. Nice guy, my introduction to the resort in fact three years back when I hired him for the afternoon. He kind of assumed (my fault for not being a little clearer) that I skied like my daughter, so when we set off down the Aiguille Rouge black in a schuss from the top, then shot off across some icy, rutted off piste at a similar speed, it didn't take too long before he realised it wasn't the case, fortunately. So he kindly slowed down about 5%. Wasn't an afternoon of instruction, the goal was to visit the whole domain (with a view to choosing between BSM, Moutiers area and Tignes to live) so I can't comment on his teaching abilities, but he's a nice guy, very good spoken English. And we certainly saw a lot of the Les Arcs domain that afternoon!

Spirit at 1950 is definitely worth checking out - I'll be seeing the director there next Wednesday and can ask for recommendations if it's not too late.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
marc gledhill, in my personal opinon, I would book with Spirit 1950 without any doubt whatsoever - we have had group and private lessons with them and have been very happy - I did a lot of looking into ESF at 2000 versus Spirit @ 1950 for our trip in Jan 2005 and found the following:

ESF at 2000 could not guarantee that all ability groups would be available in the morning and afternoon until the week before we arrived as we were going "at a quiet time" (end of Jan)- this was little use to us as we had two adults and their son in our group who were all complete beginners so they had to be in ski school at the same time as their son or they would have to arrange childcare - Spirit guaranteed that for us.

Most importantly when I mailed ESF at 2000 about maximum group size they said they "try to keep to a maximum of 15" Spirit absolutely guarantees a maximum group of 10 and in our groups we had 6 or 7 though would expect full groups of ten this year as 1950 will have five buildings open and not three this year and at half term it wil be busier than end Jan.

Spirit meet in the village centre and ESF at 2000 which is more convenient - as others say though its not a big issue as its only a 45 second ride in the cabriolet up to 2000

Last year, Spirit were 150 euros for six 2.5 hour morning group lessons compared to (I think) 135 at ESF - also I think ESF were 2.75 hours so Spirit were more expensive but well worth it I think for the guaranteed max of ten and the personal touch.

We have had instruction from Olivier, Alex, Lionel and Jean Paul from Spirit and found all of them excellent for adults and kids. Vincent Ramiere (the director I guess you are meeting PG) also took the four of us (2 adults and 2 kids) out for an hour and a half ski (with a bit of instruction) and we had great fun as well - he is a really nice bloke and I have a lot of time for what he is trying to achieve there. Marc - I've taken the liberty of PMing you his e-mail address if you want to make contact with them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Back to the guides question....

Pasca Arpin, high mountain guide, comes very highly recommended. Good English, good attitude, (0033) (0)6 10 48 44 95. He used to be with the Bourg St Maurice-based Initial Snow, but I think he's set up on his own now.

Otherwise Alain Duclos of Initial Snow - instructor, not guide - speaks good English and is very popular ...

http://www.initial-snow.com/angl/ski.htm

I've heard good and bad about Spirit. Meeting didn't happen as planned, but I'll be up there next week.

Frank Grumeau - speaks excellent English, based in Arc 1800, great guy, Scottish wife, instructor who works for the ESF... they will transfer instructors between resort villages on special request... also Fred Bourgeat, good English, great fun, same ESF branch.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bungle and PG, many thanks for the details, it isn't too late yet as I haven't been able to get a reply from one section of our group. I'll have to badger them again this weekend.

Choices, choices! Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy