Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

sauze doulx (spelling probably wrong!)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,
Bit of opinion needed please!
We are a couple (both 2Cool looking at booking a holiday for Christmas week in sauze. Wanted to ask for people who've been there what they think. Lots of websites say it is big on night life - wanted to check specifics on that, I mean are we talking aiya Napa or Ibiza wild and crazy, as this would be a bit much but a few bars would be great for us!

Thanks in advance for advice!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Meant to say both 28 not a sunglasses smiley face!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiresorts/resortintro.aspx/Sauze-dOulx

Apparently known as "Ibiza on snow" in the 1980s...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A while ago tho! Ok that's helpful! Thank you
Amy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Amywoods1609, four of us (one couple and two mates between 28 and 30) went in March this year and had a great time both skiing and apres (see my review somewhere) and are planning to go back this winter. It certainly wasn't Ibiza on snow, there are a few bars on the slopes and then enough dodgy bars (including a biggish Irish pub) in the centre to give you a flavour of Brits Abroad but also some great restaurants and a superb wine bar frequented by the locals.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Amywoods1609.

I went with 4 mates in January 2013 for a weekend and had a great time. Great skiing & a nice town for apres. It's no St Anton by any means but plenty to entertain in the evening. Nice restaurants with good food & prices to match. Cheap (by French standards) beer prices too. Hard to beat.

So much so, we're going back in March 2014 !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Amy Weve been twice at xmas, last year at the Relais des alpes, its nothing like it was back in the day, excellent place to spend xmas, loads of varied runs, and linked to sestriere and montenegve. Id recommend it. There are plenty of nice bars and restaurants, all quite compact, and xmas eve outside (i cant remember the name of the bar but its run by an english family) the square with carols and mulled wine is fantastic bit of fun. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We (a fair bit older than you with kids) went at Easter. It wasn't mad, but we only went out fairly early because of the kids. As above, plenty of nice places if that's what you want, and a few of the other sort as well wink

We would certainly go back.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK That's all really helpful thank you!
I don't know much about St Anton, is it wild then?
Yeah we'd definitely prefer nice bars and restaurants so that's reassuring!!
Thank you!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Amywoods1609 wrote:

I don't know much about St Anton, is it wild then?
Can be but doesn't have to be. I'm more sedate but go there for the off-piste.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Took kids there for xmas years ago and thought it was ok, bit noisy as we were above a nightclub, but been waiting to go back, so Went there in march with my son and found it really good, stayed up the hill in small hotel with near enough ski to door...paddys bar was superb,the night life was ok..but we did spend a lot of time in hotel bar as well... Paddys even took me home on the last three nights in the car ...free !!! As we drank there a lot and i had a broken leg.!!! Some nice runs and will go back...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been twice at Xmas. It's renowned for it's night life but I think it must take a few weeks to get going as it didn't seem like that at xmas. I did hear a couple of complaints about noise from people who's digs were above bars.
The milkyway isn't supposed to have a good snow record early season but both times I've been xmas snow I've seen.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do you have to be 30 or younger to respond to this thread?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peanuthead,

No --- I'm 63 and I went in 'the day' (just cant remember when the day was Smile ) -- Oh yes, it was 1978/79/80 ; when it was Benidorm with ice ; then again in 1990 when it was Benidorm without ice (poor snow...)

Sauze is much quieter now -- not sure where the noisy lot have gone (probably Selva...................!)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
peanuthead,

I'm old enoughtto be OP's father.
latest report
Phw ok I can feel free to join in too so
snow conditions
Sorry I should have entitled my topic 'Only opinions of those 30 and below will be taken into consideration!!!' Wink
snow report
I think the carols in the square sound lovely!!
Having never been away for Xmas I assume that people just go out for dinner as normal like they would on a holiday, do restaurants have special Xmas Meals?
We're looking at the hotel assietta - it has good reviews on trip advisor - i appreciate at the cheaper end of the market it's likely to be basic! Unless anyone knows any first hand information about the hotel?
Amy
snow report
has to be Obergurgle for xmas, hotel Genwin... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Amywoods1609,
Quote:

Only opinions of those 30 and below will be taken into consideration

Your're on the wrong forum wink Try the SKGB, they have an under 23's section Toofy Grin

Christmas is pretty much business as usual in most resorts. I don't recall any "special" meals being put on, but the food in Sauze is excellent if you go to the right places. We especially liked the Old Inn in town and Ciao Pais up the mountain. You can get a ski-doo ride up to Ciao Pais in the evening, that would make a special Christmas Cool
ski holidays
I went last year over new years. It was completely dead compared to the year before, no one could understand where all the people were. The british workers there were all very confused. There's not enough bars/clubs for it to be compared to ibizia. I think theres only one proper club.
ski holidays
Amywoods1609, perfect for 20s. Provided you don't mind drag lifts. Compact centre, lively but not ludicrous.
snow report
I go every year ... twice usually as a friend of mine has a house in the valley.
IMHO it has totally lost it's 'rave' reputation. It's much more sedate now, but revelry can be found if desired!
There are a couple of drag lifts but hardly any.
I really like it. The food is great and half the price of France. The skiing is good but more suited to intermediates rather than advanced, though the downhill in Sestriere [1/2 hr skiing from Sauze] is fun at speed, and I hear you can go heliskiing if you have large pockets.
The only thing I don't like is the fact that most routes down the mountain lead to the Sportinia area more for commercial reasons rather than convenience. This means that the lifts out of this area can become quite busy.
I really like the people ... they are much more friendly and welcoming than the French, and the lessons are a lot cheaper.
If the snow is ever dodgy then a trip to Montgenevre is recommended [1/2 hr by car or an hour's skiing] where the snow is usually good. You get a day's free skiing there for a week's Sauze pass.
Basically if you love days of really challenging skiing go elsewhere, but if you want fantastic, extensive intermediate skiing with nice people and good, reasonably priced food, then go.
I'll be there in February
snow conditions
Hi all,
Many thanks for your advice!!
We have now booked up for our Xmas in Sauze!
If anyone has any further advice / hints and tips for us to get the most out of our festive break I'd be very grateful!?
Thanks!
Amy
ski holidays
Went in 2006. Was lively but nothing like ayia napa or Ibiza. Am going again in January.
latest report
I haven't read the rest of the posts in this thread, but here's my input:

Sauze d'Oulx is a lovely small town with plenty of shops and a great pizza bar for snacks. I went with a friend middle of January this year, traveled with Inghams and booked in at the Gran Bosco (who incidentally happened to be full and we got upgraded to Chalet Faure for free!). Because Chalet Faure is B&B accommodation only, Inghams paid for us to eat at Del Falco restaurant each night (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g194891-d1636921-Reviews-DEL_FALCO_Restaurant-Sauze_d_Oulx_Province_of_Turin_Piedmont.html) the owner is British and not only cooks very good food but knows the area extremely well. He may be able to do your Christmas meal if you contact him first?

Regarding the bars and nightlife, there were 2 or 3 guys repping trying to persuade you to drink in their bars which may put some people off, nightlife wise it seemed pretty quiet but apparently it didn't get started till the early hours, we were there to get as much time on the slopes rather than to get drunk so usually headed in about 11pm. Chalet Faure is situated above a wine bar which did have live music on to 2-3am.

The pistes themselves were fantastic, kept in great condition by the piste bashers and snow cannons and due to the time of year we went, not very busy, at some points we even had some of the higher slopes to ourselves. We are an intermediate skiier and snowboarder, and didn't get bored of the varierty of runs and off piste available. I think in the whole week we were there, the longest time we qued for was about 5 minutes.

Although, all of the above should be taken with a pinch of salt due to us visiting in off peak season.

Hope this helps
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy